The Starks will become savages.

Annalee

Warging

"no man could truly tame a wolf"

Warg a wolf and "the wolf is part of you from that day on, and you a part of him"

"men were not meant to leave the earth" (Haggon on birds)

We have Haggon teaching Varamyr on the ways of the skin changer.  He seems to know what he's talking about even though the skin changers do not all abide by the same ethics.  But eating human flesh and possessing humans are the big sins understood by all.  Possessing birds makes one addicted and not want to come back down again.  

Arya wargs a stray cat.  Bran wargs Summer and takes possession of Hodor.  He has tasted human flesh.  His mentor wants him to possess ravens.  Rickon is losing himself to Shaggy dog.  The connection between Arya and Nymeria is strong.  Nymeria doesn't act like a normal wolf and seems to enjoy killing beyond sustenance.  I think it is due to her bond with Arya.  The Starks are becoming savages.  Arya already is.  The old ways like blood offerings to the gods will come back if "the wolves ever come again" into power.  

I say Rickon and Arya already are.  Bran has done the cannibal thing already.  Warging Hodor was necessary to keep the simple minded from giving away their presence.  

Nymeria and Arya are the worst of the Starks however.  Nym is no longer as nature intended.  She's actually tracking down and killing for the thrill of it.  That will have consequences for her and Arya both.

The old Starks seemed pretty savage to me. I mean they would have to be, if they wanted to survive for 8000 years. Ned's obsession with honour wasn't pure Stark, it came from his Arryn upbringing. His kids being more wolf-like is them reclaiming the Stark legacy. I won't be surprised if we get another Hungry Wolf in Rickon or Arya or Jon.

Bloodraven wants Bran to embrace his savage side.  The Faceless want Arya to bring out her primitive and savage instincts.  Rickon is on Skagos where people aren't famous for civilized attitudes.  It's going downhill for these kids.  But what if it's necessary to survive the ice age?  George originally had Cat and her pups seeking refuge north of the wall.  They survive a wildling attack only because of the extreme savagery of their pet direwolves.  George meant for the wolves and those kids to go all savage.  I don't think we will see another Stark like Ned in the future.  The north will get the independence they so long wanted but at a cost to them.  These kids will grow up savage like Theon the Hungry Wolf and Jon will be the new King of Winter.  That vision of the human sacrifice to the weirwood was not shown just to take up space on the page.  Bran, Jon, and the other Starks will return to the old ways of brutal human sacrifice to the Old Gods.  The Children want this to happen and so does Bloodraven.  Maybe it takes a savage to survive the Others and the long night.  Ice will dominate the land until the spring thaw and then the Starks and their wolves will die out.

Is it the Starks or westeros that has become or becoming more savage. I think they have to be the most savage of the savage to maintain/reclaim their position. Think Tywin, Walder, Ramsay, Euron.

Arya, Bran and Rickon are were born savage killers. Those influences that would tame them have been removed.

I do think that Ned's honor came from being Jon Arryn's ward (As High as Honor) and that it's not a commonality shared by Starks. Their house words are ominous....WINTER IS COMING! And they were the Kings of Winter.  Something must be said about that.  It takes a certain kind of person to survive harsh conditions for 8,000 years. Maybe Ned was the downfall of the Starks because he didn't share the wild wolf like characteristics of other Starks.  His children are showing a much stronger connection to the old ways and I think it must mean that they are the Stark line that brings back the power and strength of the North. (at least I hope!) Team Stark!

Ned has it too - a quiet wolf, but still a wolf. When he means business, he has the face of a 'Lord of Winterfell' (it's been said several times). When young Jaime was in full Kingslayer mode, Ned just had to look at him to bring him to heel.

I think wargs can control the wolfish side of their nature, but it takes an effort of will - and help. Both Arya and Bran went through a stage when they could not even wake from wolf dreams without help. Both of them are learning strong mental discipline, though, and Bran has been taught to separate himself from the wolf and take control.

But Rickon could be in trouble. He just seems too young to dominate an adult Shaggydog. We don't know what help he's getting either. He was the only one to be a little afraid of his wolf pup, and that could be a bad sign.

Perhaps its the sign of the times. Nature itself made them like that for a reason. Having wolf people could act as a method of self defense against white walkers. There is so much hidden under the crypts, not just ghosts and tombs. Some believe there is white walkers below and perhaps a dragon or dragon eggs. I don't know about that but wanted to raise theories posted about.

5 hours ago, fire&blood said:

I do think that Ned's honor came from being Jon Arryn's ward (As High as Honor) and that it's not a commonality shared by Starks.

We don't know anything much about Ned's time as Jon Arryn's ward but yeah, I agree Arryn's influence probably played a part in how Ned turned out. That said, I disagree with the idea that being honourable isn't a Stark trait. After all, we have a house that has not only survived for many thousands of years, but that has bannermen who are, and from what little we know, have been for a long time, very loyal to the Starks. There are reasons for that, and one is that the Starks are, overall, good overlords. 

Their house words are ominous....WINTER IS COMING! And they were the Kings of Winter.  Something must be said about that.  It takes a certain kind of person to survive harsh conditions for 8,000 years.

Indeed, that's one special someone! :P

Maybe Ned was the downfall of the Starks because he didn't share the wild wolf like characteristics of other Starks.  His children are showing a much stronger connection to the old ways and I think it must mean that they are the Stark line that brings back the power and strength of the North. (at least I hope!) Team Stark!

Or maybe his children's stronger connection with the old ways has to do w/ the fact that magic is coming back to the world... :wideeyed: 

The ancient kings of winter had their direwolves.  I'm thinking they were wargs and that they used that advantage to conquer the north from the other noble houses.  The tales tell us they slaughtered their rivals.  Bran's mind trip showed his ancestors killing people in front of the weir heart tree.  I'd say they were far from good people and were definitely barbarians.

More like losing their minds.  The Starks are losing their human side.  What does that specifically mean?  Their reasoning abilities and their self control.  The human traits.  They will rely more on instinct and gut reaction rather than logic to deal with problems.  

Archived