UK Politics: Post-May Edition

mormont

There is absolutely nothing more excruciating on Earth than watching Conservative MP after Conservative MP being interviewed and clearly not having a clue what the hell their party line is on anything (apart from Ruth Davidson, who is relishing her moment here). The interviewers and the other party MPs are having far too much fun with this.

8 hours ago, mormont said:

As for May, there seems no alternative to her being in charge for at least the beginning of the Brexit negotiations. Given her frankly ham-handed approach to negotiating with the DUP (she's tried and failed to bounce them into an agreement, and made it very obvious that she needs them more than they need her) that's not making me optimistic that she's going to handle Brexit negotiations well. I think Hereward is right: the deal now is going to be whatever the EU say it is.

She might be nominally in charge of the negotiations, but I wonder how much she's actually going to get to decide, or if some of the other cabinet members are going to take the lead. Of course, I don't have much hope that Johnson, David and Fox leading the negotiations is necessarily going to improve things.

33 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The interviewers and the other party MPs are having far too much fun with this.

It will never be too much. They deserve it a million million times over for what they've done to this country.

"Are grammar schools still going ahead?"

"Well, obviously the election result is not what we wanted but we have to now listen to the country to satisfy the electorate's desire to undertake Brexit."

"Yes, but what about grammar schools?"

"At the present time we need to consolidate around the Prime Minister's vision and support her talks with the DUP so we can deliver to the people the Brexit result they voted for last year."

"Okay, but what about grammar schools?"

"The what now?"

May reportedly telling party members 'not to worry about about LBG... What's the rest of it?' is hardly a reassuring sign of things to come.

ETA: reportedly. It wasn't a public event. Was relayed by Paul Waugh and published by metro.co.uk

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

May reportedly telling party members 'not to worry about about LBG... What's the rest of it?' is hardly a reassuring sign of things to come.

ETA: reportedly. It wasn't a public event. Was relayed by Paul Waugh and published by metro.co.uk

She just can't stop shooting herself in the foot, can she?

9 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

She just can't stop shooting herself in the foot, can she?

She genuinely doesn't even seem to grasp the enormity of her fuck up, that's what amazes me. She's either a better actress than you'd assume from her election performance, or she's been so sheltered from the consequences of her mistakes that she doesn't really conceive of the idea of consequences.

7 hours ago, karaddin said:

As I believe the young people say, I can't even. Appalling.

Also, someone forgot to send this Tory MP the new script.

https://www.totalpolitics.com/articles/news/tory-mp-alan-mak-still-stuck-‘strong-and-stable’-script

I can feel some sympathy for her not automatically remembering a particular acronym.  Especially one that is not very relevant personally to herself.   Simply because of the amount of acronyms she must be exposed to in her job.    However,  if your gonna speak about one of them, its really inexcusable not to know what it means, and why its important and relevant.   especially when saying   "don't worry about....."    unless of course she is trying to say  "don't worry about those pesky non straight people,  I don't care about those issues and they won't influence policy"

1 hour ago, Pebble said:

I can feel some sympathy for her not automatically remembering a particular acronym.  Especially one that is not very relevant personally to herself.  

No. There is absolutely, 100%, 150%, no excuse for a person in public life not being able to remember that particular set of initials, none.

Regarding whether it's 'relevant' to her personally, Theresa May just stood for election as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. Many citizens of the UK fall under those initials that she can't recall. They face prejudice and struggle because of it. It is her actual fucking job to protect their rights and she cares so little, she can't remember who exactly they even are?

Fuck that.

This is not me having a go at you, Pebs, I know you are an ally and don't approve of her behaviour here. If I sound angry, it's because I'm angry at this woman who is so manifestly not qualified to be PM.

1 hour ago, Pebble said:

Simply because of the amount of acronyms she must be exposed to in her job.    However,  if your gonna speak about one of them, its really inexcusable not to know what it means, and why its important and relevant.   especially when saying   "don't worry about....."    unless of course she is trying to say  "don't worry about those pesky non straight people,  I don't care about those issues and they won't influence policy"

I worry that this is exactly what she was saying.

It could well be that this 'reported' comment by May could be hogwash. I'm quite sure there will be a large campaign via the media now to force her out, we will be seeing lots of little things like this to really push home the idea that she needs to go. ( Not that its really needed, its incredible she's still there) 

I can be agree at someone and still feel sympathy for a possible brain fart.  There have been too many times when I have struggled to remember the exact word for something in the moment.  (like greenhouse, when I was forced to say   that shed like thing in my garden made out of glass)    I admit I'm probably being far to generous, but to me forgetting the exact letters themselves is far more understandable than the rest of the what she said in that.   

when I first responded I thought this was an off the cuff statement made in private after a meeting.   Not something said at an official meeting.  Having a brain fart in my opinion is still excusable,  not caring enough to look at your notes and read the rest of the acronym is inexcusable, and shows a complete disregard and lack of understanding and compassion.   But this is Teresa May,  I've long past the point where I expect anything better of her, even while I demand better.  I just hope we won't have to endure her for too much longer, and maybe we can expect better of her replacement.  

I'd just add that it would be bad enough to not know what the letter actually stood for, but to forget the actual letter? In that sentence? After she'd claimed to be for changing the rules around birth certificate changes for transgender people just a month ago? That's not honest forgetfulness, that's showing exactly what the deal with the DUP is going to entail. No push back on Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual rights that have been won so far, but Transgender people are getting thrown under the bus.

C4JS that's why I edited the post to include that caveat, but to the best of my knowledge there hasn't been any acknowledgement or denial of it. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Now of course they may have decided the best way to deal with such a leak was ignore it completely, the way Cameron did the pig story. The down side of that is that by not dignifying it with a response you don't counter it at all, and people are free to decide its true. Like with Cameron and the pig.

Well so far its a small story, I haven't seen much comment about it elsewhere. The fear for May is if she says a single thing about it then it suddenly blows up into an issue about equal rights, and she will be fending off questions about that for a while. Every interview I've seen with tories has basically downplayed the DUP's level of involvement in decision making. Its probably sensible by May as you can see the media is chomping at the bit to blow this up into a bigger issue than it is. 

I highly doubt there would be any law changes as regarding marriage. There might be a softer Brexit than before (which might be a good thing in some regards, though no change on immigration is worrying) but it seems that N.Ireland has far more restrictive laws on abortion right now, and i'd guess that we wouldn't be seeing any forward movement on that for a while now. 

35 minutes ago, commiedore said:

Apparently that's routine for them; they do it so they can obtain staff allowances and expenses (which supposedly DUP is demanding be eliminated for MPs that don't take their seats). Though I have seen more and more speculation that they may even take their seats as well, especially if it looks like Corbyn's alternative Queen's Speech could get a few Conservative defections.

Seems like an extreme longshot though.

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

Apparently that's routine for them; they do it so they can obtain staff allowances and expenses (which supposedly DUP is demanding be eliminated for MPs that don't take their seats). Though I have seen more and more speculation that they may even take their seats as well, especially if it looks like Corbyn's alternative Queen's Speech could get a few Conservative defections.

Seems like an extreme longshot though.

No Conservative MPs will vote against the Queen's Speech.  They'd automatically be expelled from the party.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Well so far its a small story, I haven't seen much comment about it elsewhere. The fear for May is if she says a single thing about it then it suddenly blows up into an issue about equal rights, and she will be fending off questions about that for a while. Every interview I've seen with tories has basically downplayed the DUP's level of involvement in decision making. Its probably sensible by May as you can see the media is chomping at the bit to blow this up into a bigger issue than it is. 

I highly doubt there would be any law changes as regarding marriage. There might be a softer Brexit than before (which might be a good thing in some regards, though no change on immigration is worrying) but it seems that N.Ireland has far more restrictive laws on abortion right now, and i'd guess that we wouldn't be seeing any forward movement on that for a while now. 

Even Sinn Fein has very conservative views on abortion (by English standards).  Among the local parties, only Alliance, the Greens, and People before Profit are pressing for much liberalisation.

Archived