UK Politics: Post-May Edition

mormont

And poof in a cloud of blue smoke, TM reveals her very own secret Money Tree

Will TM kindly explain to us why in the name of austerity there has been a necessary public sector pay freeze, swathing cuts to welfare and disability benefits and a slashing of funding to schools and hospitals but she can suddenly find £1bn from a cocoa tin under her bed to bribe 10 rabid loonies for their votes in parliament to shore up her weak and feeble government and overcome the calamity of a totally unnecessary election that was her and only her decision to call?

Probably not, it will be arrogantly brushed off as in the national interests

It's not only the £1bn. Remember that the (UK-level) savings from the winter fuel allowance and abandoning the triple pensions lock have now gone. Now, I agree with the latter policy but disagree with the former, but the point is the same in both cases: if these savings were essential last week why can we suddenly do without them this week?

14 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

On the plus side N.Ireland is probably the least developed part of the UK and has been basically ignored for decades. If they use the money on the correct infrastructure that would be a very good thing for the country.

If you define "ignored" as being "stuffed to the eyeballs with cash from Westminster":

http://www.factcheckni.org/facts/how-dependent-is-stormont-on-westminster-subvention/

So is this most expensive election campaign ever?

1 bn. for 10 votes?

So that's 100 milion pounds sterling per vote.

Are they trying to beat Manchester United for transfer fees?* At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if the Tories unveiled the signing of Cristiano Ronaldo as the new chief negotiator for the Brexit talks. I didn't know the TV rights for the Westminster debates were that expensive though.

*I hope the United fans here can take that joke, otherwise replace United with Real Madrid.

I don't object to more money being spent in NI.   I think more money should be spent just about everywhere.  But I do totally object to the why we are spending money there.  its wrong, and immoral.  and it will come at the expense of other cuts elsewhere.

It also doesn't exactly fill me with confidence of May's negotiating ability, and really leaves us far weaker going into brexit than I though possible.   I think even Fararge could not be any worse and may be a great deal better if he was handling it.

Depends on what you definse as a great or better deal.

Farage would mean no deal, and Britain simply crashing out. Britain was never in a position of strength going into the Brexit talks. Hammond and Carney are atm the ones saying it the loudest and clearest. Heseltine has been beating that drum ever since the referendum, and I think his prediction that this goverment majority will only last till the next by-elections is not totally off. According to him after that the Tories and DUP would probably not be able to provide a stable majority whatsoever. His reasoning: probable losses at the mid-term mark, and Tories defectors when the final deal is on the table.

Of course Heseltine is more scared of the Boogeyman (Corbyn) moving into Downing Street 10, and is quite eager to talk about that.

Oh we never had strength,  but we had a little more than we have right now.

I also wasn't exactly being serious saying Farage would give us a better deal.  although at least with Farage he does kinda know what he wants out of it and what the red lines are (for him)     yeah it would mean no deal.

May has just signaled that when it comes to it she will just roll over and dish out any amount of money for a deal.

I also can't see this goverment lasting long.

Farage did say during the referendum campaign that he'd be happy to see Britain's economy suffer as a result of Brexit because he thought it was worth it so we could take back control of etc etc.

What was left unspoken: he didn't give a shit if the worst-off in Britain suffered from Brexit because he'd gotten quite wealthy over the years from not-working for the EU and can bugger off to Germany any time he likes and wait for the worst effects to blow over.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:51 PM, Werthead said:

The look of apoplexy on the faces of the Welsh and Scottish nationalists being interviewed today was quite entertaining, but ultimately I have to think not. It's a preposterous amount of money to spend to try to buy off the DUP.

What is interesting is the two year limit, which seems to suggest that May doesn't have much faith in her coalition of chaos making it past 2019 and then we'll have another election at that point.

Scottish and Welsh Nationalists do a pretty effective job already at prising money out of London and the South East.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Scottish and Welsh Nationalists do a pretty effective job already at prising money out of London and the South East.

Sounds like the North and the Midlands need their own nationalist parties as well.

31 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Sounds like the North and the Midlands need their own nationalist parties as well.

It's possible you could see a regionalist party for London.  A lot of Londoners greatly resent the fiscal transfers they make to the rest of the UK (London pays about £7bn more in tax than it receives in public spending).  About 10% of Londoners even favour becoming an independent country. 

As against that, London's tax revenues depend hugely on the revenues derived from the City.  The Bank of England acts as lender of last resort, so effectively, all UK citizens are underwriting the City's financial transactions.

It was very silly of the Conservatives to have blindly opposed the public pay cap amendment in the Commons today. Now Labour get to mercilessly drive home how the Conservatives still don't care about firemen (after the Grenfell tower block fire), policemen (after the terror attacks) and medical staff (after both) for the rest of the Parliament. The Tories should have rolled with this one, counter-proposed a lower cap (even 2% would be better) and looked like they were giving something back to the emergency services. Now they look (more) like idiots. And of course they can't even remotely think of saying, "There's no money" when they've just pointlessly given £1 billion to the DUP to prop them up in government when they were going to do that anyway.

10 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It was very silly of the Conservatives to have blindly opposed the public pay cap amendment in the Commons today. Now Labour get to mercilessly drive home how the Conservatives still don't care about firemen (after the Grenfell tower block fire), policemen (after the terror attacks) and medical staff (after both) for the rest of the Parliament. The Tories should have rolled with this one, counter-proposed a lower cap (even 2% would be better) and looked like they were giving something back to the emergency services. Now they look (more) like idiots. And of course they can't even remotely think of saying, "There's no money" when they've just pointlessly given £1 billion to the DUP to prop them up in government when they were going to do that anyway.

This strategy is only going to pay off because so many Labour supporters are morons. What sense does it make to say we don't care about policemen or fireman?

On a slightly different note, I just caught the interview with police officer Wayne Marques, the hero in the London Bridge attack who fought all three attackers armed only with his baton. If you didn't have a chance to see it, it's well worth watching. Damn fine thing to have a brave young man like him patrolling the streets. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40432673

8 hours ago, Chaircat Meow said:

This strategy is only going to pay off because so many Labour supporters are morons. What sense does it make to say we don't care about policemen or fireman?

Lots?

I mean, if you care about them, why do you refuse to pay them what they're worth?

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Lots?

I mean, if you care about them, why do you refuse to pay them what they're worth?

They care about having them, not about treating them well you see. Appreciating that they are there is all that matters.

Archived