UK Politics: Post-May Edition

mormont

I'm very happy with the result. The tories are weakened significantly, the idea of a left wing Labour leader is far less ridiculous than it was two years ago, UKIP are done. I'll take that. My only concern is who might replace May (either soon or whenever she steps down, can't see her lasting long. Probably set up the DUP coalition and wait a few weeks then announce.) Boris dodged it last time as I suspect he knew that whoever ends up presiding over Brexit will be seen to have ballsed it up, so I don't see why he wouldn't dodge it again. Maybe David Davis? Knows all about Brexit obviously, guess that's be enough to run on. Labour just need to knuckle down and keep the momentum going, they could be a contender for a majority in 2022 easily.

Nice time for a new thread (I was thinking Hung Drawn and Quartered but the current ones good).

5 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

My only concern is who might replace May (either soon or whenever she steps down, can't see her lasting long. Probably set up the DUP coalition and wait a few weeks then announce.) Boris dodged it last time as I suspect he knew that whoever ends up presiding over Brexit will be seen to have ballsed it up, so I don't see why he wouldn't dodge it again.

At a certain point you just have to take the job right? If you dodge Brexit, then dodge the next few years will people really forget when it all comes down to it? Better to be PM today than hope to be PM tomorrow right? Especially if Brexit seriously harms the party and they lose power.

I'll be the first to say Corbyn exceeded expectations in this election, but... he does understand that he didn't win?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40208731

Mr Corbyn, speaking after being re-elected in Islington North, said it was time for Mrs May to "make way" for a government that would be "truly representative of the people of this country".
He later told the BBC it was it was "pretty clear who has won this election".
"We are ready to serve the people who have put their trust in us," he said - but he also stressed he would not enter into any "pacts or deals" with other parties.

How does a party with 261 seats govern with no pacts or deals?

15 minutes ago, mormont said:

I'll be the first to say Corbyn exceeded expectations in this election, but... he does understand that he didn't win?

There was still a fair bit of time left in the night at that point. The projections were firming but the possibility of the Tories having 10 less seats and SNP/Labour 10 more was still up in the air. It is a little...presumptuous rather than speculative though.

Some fun trivia:

• Theresa May's Conservatives got the same percentage of the vote (42.4%) as Thatcher did in 1983, and more votes than Tony Blair did in 1997. It didn't do her any good (and speaks volumes about 1983 being a case of vote-splitting).
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour is currently sitting behind only Tony Blair in 1997 and Harold Wilson in 1966 for most Labour votes in an election since 1951 (and hence has managed the most votes for a losing leader since 1951).
  • This is the first time since 1835 that the constituency of Canterbury doesn't have a Conservative MP.
  • This is the first time since 1970 that the Conservatives and Labour have both exceeded 40% of the vote.
  • This is the first time the Liberals/Liberal Democrats have ever been wiped out in Wales.

42 minutes ago, mormont said:

He won, he's had everything thrown at him, lots of people are naive 'pragmatists', they live in the 'now' conforming to the 'society' they live in, being the controller as much as they can thus not begrudging the system is rigged and a small group of billionaires have inordinate influence on society.

It comes down to their lack of belief in themselves, they believe if the world was fair their situation wouldn't be any different BUT it would be different, and some of them would surprise themselves and would reconsider the choice they made when they were young and decide to not conform to whatever idiot divisive ideology inhabits their part of the world, an ideology that only ever serves the local Oligarchy.

15 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Would need to be an MP first

Technically, you don't need to be an MP - you just need to command majority support in Parliament.

(Alec Douglas-Home was a PM outside Parliament after he gave up his Lords seat, and before he won a by-election).

You Brits should try a grand coalition that way nothing of any importance ever gets done which tends to be a good thing in western European countries because when things get done it just means cuts to social security/health care/pensions nowadays. 

I'm must say I'm really glad we don't have first past the post here at least I can vote for the party I want to without throwing my vote away.

Lol at the Conservatives... throwing a majority away for what? Was the plan to let Labour deal with Brexit which would allow the Conservatives to blame them for the shitty deal for the next 50 years ? If that was the plan then they even fail at losing an election because they still got too many seats.

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Nice time for a new thread (I was thinking Hung Drawn and Quartered but the current ones good).

HANGED, Drawn and Quartered, my dear. Parliaments however are hung.

And yes, I realise its a rather good pun  but there are standards to be maintained when exercising medieval torture and punishment.

Speaking of torture, does that mean I have to listen to another Diane Abbott interview, as it is now safe to get her out of the cupboard again?

1 minute ago, Wolfgang I said:

You Brits should try a grand coalition that way nothing of any importance ever gets done which tends to be a good thing in western European countries because when things get done it just means cuts to social security/health care/pensions nowadays. 

Grand Coalitions are known as National Governments. The last time they tried that outside of War, it didn't go well for Labour:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1931

Archived