US Politics: the Lying Liars Who Lie edtion

Fragile Bird

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Relic,

You are thinking far too small.  

Well it's already happening.  50 million Twitter bots cried out all at once.

How big do you think we should be thinking? 

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

What could this attack be used to justify?  That's what I think we should be worried about.  I hope the injuries are all minor that everyone recovers quickly and that this attack isn't used to justify all sorts of unpleasantness.

Worry not, Ser Scot.  The whole Trump is a Nazi thing is so ridiculous.  I understand the media narrative so he frightens me not a whit.

The media itself got disintermediated last election.  Recall what Malcolm Reynolds said about the middle man...

Arguing with someone who buys ink by the barrel is less fruitless now that so many people get news by the pixel.  Trump ran an end around on the media and repeated trolled them to boot, so of course they are all in to try to get back at him.  Don't get caught up in the hysteria.

The only physical threat the Resistance is going to face is joint dislocation from patting itself on the back.

I mean, remember when all of the celebrities were boycotting The Apprentice because of Trump's commitment to German militarism, nationalism, and collective economics?  Me neither.  It's all a farce.  A dangerous one if repeated enough, but it's not the right that's normalizing political violence lately.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What could this attack be used to justify?  That's what I think we should be worried about.  I hope the injuries are all minor that everyone recovers quickly and that this attack isn't used to justify all sorts of unpleasantness.

Yes, what could this attack justify?  Really, anything, all bad.  Plus, the act itself could encourage more violence.  all bad, all bad

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Well, if it doesn't justify gun control...

However, yeah, the same thoughts have crossed my mind while reading about this. I'm so fucking glad I don't live in America anymore. 

Multiple witnesses are reporting wildly different events. Some are saying only 10-12 shots while others are saving more than 50. Some are reporting that the event only lasted a few minutes while others are saying 10 minutes. Either way, thankfully no one was killed.

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

Pretty big, imo.  It doesn't matter that this was a white male terrorist (who wasn't shot and killed despite shooting into a crowd of elected officials).  The demographics of the terrorist will be ignored, except for maybe the part where he could have been a liberal.  If he's called a terrorist at all, most people who don't dig deeper will automatically assume it's a brown muslim because that's the group who is most frequently identified as a terrorist.  Trump and co have practically creamed themselves everytime a terrorist actuvity involveing brown muslims has occurred in other countries.  Already on Twitter an overwhelming number of tweets have focused on liberals being terrorists and how if you take away guns from liberals gun violence would stop.  

Nothing good will come of this.  

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Multiple witnesses are reporting wildly different events. Some are saying only 10-12 shots while others are saving more than 50. Some are reporting that the event only lasted a few minutes while others are saying 10 minutes. Either way, thankfully no one was killed.

I'm not sure there is enough difference between "a few minutes" and "ten minutes" for that to be significant at all. 

This of course is precisely the sort of event where eyewitnesses are going to have very different memories.

Of course we should be extremely grateful no one was killed outright, and hope and/or pray no one later succumbs to their injuries.

4 minutes ago, Relic said:

Infowars and other equally despicable "news outlets"  are reporting that the gunman was a "Leftist". 

And if he proves to be a 'rightist' that won't matter, lefties still gonna get blamed. 

It's sickening in itself there will be individuals using this for argumentative and political gain and I so hope none of the injuries are fatal for all reasons the people hurt and their families chief among them. I'm just horrified by all this, the possible implications of it all, I am literally shaking right now.

Never believe the first breaking reports after an event.  It turns out that the story the shooter asked political affiliation before shooting is false.  But Fox etc. will be reporting it this way forever.  In the mean time I'm sure they're moving the gutting of healthcare forward.  And yes,  o yes, we must have MORE guns in the hands of more people ....

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Never believe the first breaking reports after an event.  It turns out that the story the shooter asked political affiliation before shooting is false.  But Fox etc. will be reporting it this way forever.  In the mean time I'm sure they're moving the gutting of healthcare forward.  And yes,  o yes, we must have MORE guns in the hands of more people ....

I would have given it a 50/50 chance of it being a false report about the shooter asking about that. Completely agree about never believing the first breaking reports but the reason I'd have given it a coin flip odds is while you never believe first reports in this day and age no reports can be too far fetched.

I understand the anxiety about the repercussions of this, but at the same time, things should be kept in perspective. I think Trump will come out in a couple of minutes, say something leader-ish that was hastily written for him, his approval will go up a couple of points for a while, Infowars and Breitbart will peddle their usual warfare shit, and things will pretty much go back to normal.

Any attempt to start using this to twist the lawmaking narrative will divide Congress and the population along the usual lines. Any attempt to make some sort of crazy power play could just as well backfire.

People have already made up their minds about why these things happen and who the bad guys are. This is not gonna change it. When the time comes to place blame, Democrats can always point to Gabrielle Giffords and the pizzagate shootings, and the fight continues as usual.

Archived