US Politics: the Lying Liars Who Lie edtion

Fragile Bird

On Tuesday night, Eric Trump told Sean Hannity how he really feels about Democrats and his father’s political opponents: “I’ve never seen hatred like this. To me, they’re not even people.”

In the months since Donald Trump’s election, it’s become shockingly commonplace for Americans to blatantly dehumanize Muslims and Mexican immigrants — and then use violence against them. Hate crimes against Muslims in the US are at their highest levels since 2001. And there’s plenty of anecdotal evidence (and some empirical research too) that America is becoming a coarser, meaner place.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/6/7/15755852/eric-trump-not-people-dehumanization

At any rate, the entire history of this country is based on the dehumanizing of non-white males be they Native Americans, slaves, immigrants, non-Christians, homosexuals, women etc. It just now gets to play out to every nook, cranny, and crevice of society thanks to the internet and technology. So that's what, hundreds of years of treading rough roads and discomfort.

1 minute ago, kairparavel said:

At any rate, the entire history of this country is based on the dehumanizing of non-white males be they Native Americans, slaves, immigrants, non-Christians, gay, women etc. It just now gets to play out to every nook, cranny, and crevice of society thanks to the internet and technology. So that's what, hundreds of years of treading rough roads and discomfort.

Kair,

And it has always been wrong to dehumanize people.  Sean Hannity is the king of the Double Standard.  I'm quite certain he failed to mention Trump's son calling critics of his father "not even human".  

53 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm quite certain he failed to mention Trump's son calling critics of his father "not even human".

I think it's important to emphasize Trump's speech announcing his candidacy was centered around dehumanizing Mexican immigrants.  Anyway, I'm always for moderating rhetoric on both sides - kinda been my purpose statement for posting in these threads.  However it's also fair, and important, to point out that empirically the hatred on the right far outweighs the hatred on the left in the aggregate.  What is not acceptable is advocating violence towards any person, no matter their political views or level of hatred.  That is the basis of truly extremist ideologies, and how they become dangerous.

“The tweet you reference was part of live tweeting of someone else’s speech and it was done by a staffer. Those are not Senator Paul’s words.”

No Senator, even if that is true, this is your tweet, it's got your name and pix, you own it.  

.@Judgenap: Why do we have a Second Amendment? It's not to shoot deer. It's to shoot at the government when it becomes tyrannical!

Note; I do not agree with the idea expressed in this tweet in any way.  My point is, perhaps those in gov't should rethink their tweets, remarks and writings that reflect the ideas of using gun violence as a solution to problems. 

7 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I think it's important to emphasize Trump's speech announcing his candidacy was centered around dehumanizing Mexican immigrants.  Anyway, I'm always for moderating rhetoric on both sides - kinda been my purpose statement for posting in these threads.  However it's also fair, and important, to point out that empirically the hatred on the right far outweighs the hatred on the left in the aggregate.  What is not acceptable is advocating violence towards any person, no matter their political views or level of hatred.  That is the basis of truly extremist ideologies, and how they become dangerous.

Indeed.  Trump has been attempting to create "the other" to take the emphasis off himself.  It is an effort at dehumanization.  I simply think we should all drop that tactic.

27 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It is an effort at dehumanization.  I simply think we should all drop that tactic.

Sure, to an extent.  I'm a big fan of ridicule, e.g. when Maher had Trump prove his father was not an orangutan.

In a nation that holds free speech up at all costs, good luck. Talk, while apparently free, is also cheap. You can't legislate feelings but you can regulate words. So either you want this to stop, for things to change, or you continue the thoughts and prayers and stern finger wagging cycle of nothing.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

It's crazy to see a conversation about modern political violence that omits the thousands of documented mock lynchings of President Obama.............

Conservatives of course will conveniently forget about all that when they start whining about the left.

11 hours ago, Gertrude said:

I tell you, I have never written my representatives as much as I have in the last few months. Just got a response from my House rep that was pure talking points and addressed to Mr.______. Thanks for listening and addressing my concerns, you asshat. I feel another email coming on.

11 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

From what I understand, phone calls are the more effective way of being heard.  I've been calling tons this year.  Though considering the ultra conservative area where I live, it's sort of a useless endeavor.  I don't have any representatives that give a damn about anything.  

11 hours ago, Gertrude said:

My reps are conservative as hell too, but I have to try.

I've worked for several elected officials. Don't waste your time with emails. They generally don't get read. Your better off sending in a hand written letter or calling if a vote is about to take place. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've worked for several elected officials. Don't waste your time with emails. They generally don't get read. Your better off sending in a hand written letter or calling if a vote is about to take place.

Yeah according to virtually every MC and staffer that's ever been asked, calls are most effective.

21 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

In a nation that holds free speech up at all costs, good luck. Talk, while apparently free, is also cheap. You can't legislate feelings but you can regulate words. So either you want this to stop, for things to change, or you continue the thoughts and prayers and stern finger wagging cycle of nothing.

Kair,

Do you really want to give the Republican party, which hold's the Presidency, the Congress, and a Majority of appointees on the US Supreme Court the power to regulate speech based on content?

10 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Yup. That's exactly what I said. 

I know that's not what you said.  My point is that if you want to start regulating speech based on content... now... that is what would happen.  It would give Pres. Trump and the Republican party the power to regulate speech based on content.  That seems like a bad plan.  

If you would wait for a Democratic Administration and Congress you seem to be assuming you'd always agree with the manner that they would regulate speech or that people you disagree with will never take power and have the ability to shut down speech they dislike, based on content.

53 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Yeah according to virtually every MC and staffer that's ever been asked, calls are most effective.

I think it's a little bit more nuanced than that. Calling in and flooding the switch boards is the way to go if a piece of legislation is about to hit the floor in the next 24-48 hours. Otherwise I'd say writing in is the best practice (avoid mass mailers though. Those go straight into the recycling bin.)

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Calling in and flooding the switch boards is the way to go if a piece of legislation is about to hit the floor in the next 24-48 hours.

That's what I was referring to - although I'd extend the timeframe to anything from a week before a bill's floor vote.

Archived