US Politics: the Lying Liars Who Lie edtion

Fragile Bird

Thanks for all the advice on being heard. I will continue with emails if it's just general thoughts and pressure, but call if it's particularly important or time sensitive. I can organize my thoughts better in written form.

So does anyone know what is in the EO Trump just signed on apprenticeships? I think in theory this is a good thing, but I am wary of what it might actually entail. Are there regulations blocking apprenticeship programs as Trump claims, or what the hell is he talking about? This seems awfully pro-Union (or at least based on a union model) for the Rs to go along with it, which is what is making me wary.

Plus, this guy's ego is unbelievable. I know we all know this, but sometimes it has to be said because, wow. It's not normal. My personal theory is that he likes this EO because it has "apprentice" in the name.

ETA: oh, I see it's basically privatizing some of the functions of the federal government because of course it is.

Correction re the purpose of the second amendment: it is there for white males to keep the slaves in their place, i.e. the well-regulated militias of both state and federal constitutions.  It was never about external threats of invasion, i.e. see the history of the War of 1812, during which there were invasions all along the slaveocracy coastal areas and Chesapeake.  See particularly the battle of Bladensburg, which was never fought, because as soon as the Brits showed up the white male militia ran away, back to the plantations, to lock up their slaves. Consequence: the burning of D.C.

Just now, Gertrude said:

So does anyone know what is in the EO Trump just signed on apprenticeships? I think in theory this is a good thing, but I am wary of what it might actually entail. Are there regulations blocking apprenticeship programs as Trump claims, or what the hell is he talking about? This seems awfully pro-Union (or at least based on a union model) for the Rs to go along with it, which is what is making me wary.

I don't think it's a bad idea either. But, from what I know, it seems Trump is trying to do it on a shoe string budget. So the implementation will probably end up being a big fail. 

He's shaved off a few billion dollars from government job training programs. Evidently, he thinks this will be a big help in reducing the deficit (while giving massive tax cuts to the rich of course). It won't. The amount, in the bigger picture of the things is rather small. 

In short, I'd say, nix the tax cuts for the rich and spend more on apprenticeships and job training.

31 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I don't think it's a bad idea either. But, from what I know, it seems Trump is trying to do it on a shoe string budget. So the implementation will probably end up being a big fail. 

He's shaved off a few billion dollars from government job training programs. Evidently, he thinks this will be a big help in reducing the deficit (while giving massive tax cuts to the rich of course). It won't. The amount, in the bigger picture of the things is rather small. 

In short, I'd say, nix the tax cuts for the rich and spend more on apprenticeships and job training.

What also doesn't make a ton of sense is that he wants 10x as many apprenticeships with more or less the same budget as under the Obama administration. So like everything, it's a bullshit EO for optics that has no practical way of being implemented.

33 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Correction re the purpose of the second amendment: it is there for white males to keep the slaves in their place, i.e. the well-regulated militias of both state and federal constitutions.  It was never about external threats of invasion, i.e. see the history of the War of 1812, during which there were invasions all along the slaveocracy coastal areas and Chesapeake.  See particularly the battle of Bladensburg, which was never fought, because as soon as the Brits showed up the white male militia ran away, back to the plantations, to lock up their slaves. Consequence: the burning of D.C.

I thought this but it turns out to be apocryphal.

4 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

No Senator, even if that is true, this is your tweet, it's got your name and pix, you own it.  

What is really disturbing to me about the response is that it does NOT say he condemns or even disagrees with the idea expressed in the tweet. It merely says "those are not his words." Of course, the way the response is phrased it also sounds like it also comes from a staffer rather than from the Senator himself. But it is still a very weak response.

32 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Beyond what that article clarifies about the realities of ratification, the premise that slaveowners needed the 2nd amendment to protect them from rounding up their slaves requires one to be rather ignorant of basic American history.

Not sure if this had been previously confirmed, but either way, it's not good for Trump:

A recent National Security Agency memo documents a phone call in which U.S. President Donald Trump pressures agency chief Admiral Mike Rogers to state publicly that there is no evidence of collusion between his campaign and Russia, say reports.

The memo was written by Rick Ledgett, the former deputy director of the NSA, sources familiar with the memo told The Wall Street Journal. Ledgett stepped down from his job this spring.

The memo said Trump questioned the American intelligence community findings that Russia interfered in the 2016 election. American intelligence agencies issued a report early this year that found Russian intelligence agencies hacked the country’s political parties and worked to sway the election to Trump.

The Russia investigation’s special counsel Robert Mueller plans to interview Ledgett as part of his investigation into Russia’s efforts to manipulate the 2016 vote, a source told WSJ. Mueller is also probing whether Trump himself obstructed justice when he fired former FBI Director James Comey on May 9, according to The Washington Post.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-tried-convince-nsa-chief-mike-rogers-russia-investigation-fake-report-626073

Two nominees that Trump has nominated to be a circuit court judge. They are exactly as bad as you would think.

Trump has more than 130 judicial vacancies to fill on the federal courts. The number is unusually large because Republicans blocked dozens of Obama appointees — including uncontroversial ones — in the final years of the Democratic administration. And now the new administration is moving to fill the same seats that were kept open, sometimes for two and three years.

At Wednesday's hearing, the two nominees found themselves trying to explain hundreds of their own blog posts, posts they admitted were "intemperate" and "political." The posts included material ranging from radical rants, to conspiracy theories and false allegations.

Now if the Republican Party manages to destroy the ACA, and I think it’s highly likely at this juncture, there are two good reasons for the Democrats to pass single payer should they ever return to power.

They are:

1. It's the most efficient way to get universal healthcare done.

2. And it will really piss off conservatives.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/15/15787626/mitch-mcconnell-single-payer-medicare-all

History may record a certain irony if this is the argument McConnell uses to successfully destroy Obamacare. In recent conversations with Democrats and industry observers, I’ve become convinced that just the opposite is true: If Republicans unwind Obamacare and pass their bill, then Democrats are much likelier to establish a single-payer health care system — or at least the beginnings of one — when they regain power.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Read, among others, Slavery's Constitution: From Revolution to Ratification by the brilliant historian, David Waldstreicker.

See here, and here, and other places.

I am sorry to say that I've learned The Root's writers are very often wrong about matters of history, even those one would think their writers would be right about.  And this doesn't leave out Skip Gates either, alas.

4 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Now if the Republican Party manages to destroy the ACA, and I think it’s highly likely at this juncture, there are two good reasons for the Democrats to pass single payer should they ever return to power.

They are:

1. It's the most efficient way to get universal healthcare done.

2. And it will really piss off conservatives.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/15/15787626/mitch-mcconnell-single-payer-medicare-all

That hangs on whether

1) they ever regain power'

2) there's anything left to regain power over.

Just now, Zorral said:

That hangs on whether

1) they ever regain power'

2) there's anything left to regain power over.

That's why I phrased it as "should they ever return to power." Now maybe they won't. Don't know as I misplaced my Planatir and I can't find it. But, I'm certainly not ready to give up yet. Not really my style.

12 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

That's why I phrased it as "should they ever return to power." Now maybe they won't. Don't know as I misplaced my Planatir and I can't find it. But, I'm certainly not ready to give up yet. Not really my style.

Your Planatir lets you see the future? All others I've heard of only let you see other places in the present or the past. 

6 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Your Planatir lets you see the future? All others I've heard of only let you see other places in the present or the past. 

Being that OGE is an economic nerd, his Planatir models the future.  :P

Archived