What House would be the most fit to rule the Seven Kingdoms?

John Doe

House Stark of old, they were strong rulers both cold and calculating and easily inspired the loyalty of all of there bannerman even house Bolton respected the Starks to some degree or another. Ned Stark and his children are not like most Northmen since Eddard was raised in the Vale and gained their sense or honour and duty which is Eddards and Robbs biggest downfalls IMO. 

It depends on who the person is not the family they came from.  I would support Daenerys to rule the seven kingdoms but I would not support Rhaegar and Viserys.  Daenerys is a great leader and hundreds of thousands are free from their chains because of her.  A leader has to be strong and smart.  She is both of those and she has dragons.  The right name is important because that is how power and authority are passed down in Westeros. 

1. She is a born leader who already proved it when she led her khalasar through the red waste to the safety of Vaes Tolloro. 
  2. She took several pages from the Art of War to beat the slave masters and free 8000 slave soldiers. 
  3. She used feminine charm and trickery to defeat the titan's bastard with little bloodshed on her side. 
  4. She's calculating and efficient when she chose Belwas to fight the Ghiscari champion because the big Eunuch was more expendable than the other men. 
  5. She knows how to correct her subordinates and still keep their loyalty.  She was sharp with Belwas during their first meeting when the big guy bragged about how many Dothraki he had killed at the fighting pits.  She corrected him but softened the sting of her words later.  A sign of a great leader.

Rhaegar, otoh, sat on his butt and played his harp.  I won't discuss the Lyanna thing since that is not certain but I will talk about Rhaegar's behavior at the Trident.  How stupid of a leader who had forty thousand men to take on Robert in single combat.  It was brave, it was gallant, it was honorable, but he lost the battle for his side.  Dumb move.  Viserys is weak and emotionally traumatized.  He is not capable of effective rule.

3 hours ago, Peter Peckerton said:

.  Daenerys is a great leader and hundreds of thousands are free from their chains because of her. 

She was a good leader in ADWD, because she was accepting that in order to maintain peace, which is "the pearl beyond price", she had to make a bunch of sacrifices that she didn't want to make (opening the fighting pits, allowing slavery to go on outside of Meereen, marrying Hizdahr, etc.), and was at least set on a path of incremental, but sustainable change that would have brought more freedom. However, I believe that during her last chapter of ADWD, she grew so frustrated with what had happened that she will throw the peace away, and opt for a more Targaryen, conquering ruling method, which will undo everything and spark war.

1 hour ago, Fire Eater said:

The Reader, he does seem to be a decent politician. For any house however, the problem is succession is a coin toss, and every house has its share of good and bad rulers. 

One of the things I love about The Reader is how confident he is, despite being considered a bit of an oddball by Iron Island standards. Maybe it's just because he doesn't have much to lose at this point, but whenever someone tries to condescend to him, he simply throws it back in their faces, cool as a clam. I hope we get to see more of him in TWOW.  

House Targaryen.  Because you can't rule if you're married to a son or a daughter of one of the great houses.  It seems like a good idea to marry Rhaegar to Cersei but that would keep Rhaegar from making objective decisions.  He would be pressured by his in-laws to pass laws that favor his wife's house.  The Targaryens should continue their practice of keeping the power to themselves rather than marrying into one off their vassal houses.  The ruler should be unbiased and I think the Targaryens have been that for most of their 300 years.  Dany has no marriage ties to any of the great houses.  It has disadvantages but it also means she can make objective decisions without pressure from the bedchamber.  Look what family attachment did to undo Robb's efforts for an example of how bias can undermine rule.

i have to say targaryen. all the other houses still identify themselves by the region they are from. tyrells are still reachlords, baratheons are still stormlords, starks are still northerners. but the targaryens are an outside, relatively impartial house. where they other house have a sense of regional patriotism, what you can get of that in a medieval age culture, with all the cultural prejudices that regional identity engenders, the targaryens, at least when they began the conquest, lacked any of that. sure, their ideals may not always be what we would want, but neither do they have any of that regional favoritism. that helped unify the other kingdoms, either under them, or before them, but it lead to the targs being seen subconsciously as a symbol of unity for the realm as a whole.

in fact, i think thats why the realm fractured as quickly as it did when robert died. for 20 years, with no targ on the throne, no realm recognised symbol of unity, still subconsciously, the kingdoms began to realign their sense of self from WESTEROSI, to REACH, or NORTH, or STORMLANDS, ect.

House Lannister, always House Lannister!

They have the pedigree and the financial strength to rule the kingdom, unlike say the Baratheons who only got the piss poor Stormlands to hold them up, or the upstart Tyrells or Tullys. And at most times they seem kind of level without violent ups and downs. The downside I see is their utter failure with war and that could come back to bite them. But even so I think that they should be able to use their traditional largesse to get people to lead their armies for them when needed.

6 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

One of the things I love about The Reader is how confident he is, despite being considered a bit of an oddball by Iron Island standards. Maybe it's just because he doesn't have much to lose at this point, but whenever someone tries to condescend to him, he simply throws it back in their faces, cool as a clam. I hope we get to see more of him in TWOW.  

He has my vote at the next kingsmoot. 

Best would be:

1. Lannister

2. Tyrell

3. Arryn

Stark - Strange religion and customs, would not be very popular and they have their lands far away therefore not a good choice.

Tully - Would be close to the Crownlands to support them but they strategically have a very weak position therefore not a good choice.

Greyjoy - No explanation needed...

Lannister - Very rich and the goldroad takes you to King's landing very swiftly. No cultural diffrences good choice i would say.

Arryn - A little far off but they seem to be very pious so they would have the support of the faith and smallfolk good okay choice i would say.

Baratheon - They are to headstrong and warlike and uninterested in rule i would say so they wouldnt make good kings. I think Robert kind of personifies a Baratheon lord.

Tyrell - Strongest Kingdom by far, no cultural difficulties, a little far of from kings landing but i would say they would be a good choice.

Martell - They are very disliked for their foriegn ways, are very far of and they have kind of radical ideas to the westerosi system. Not a good choice at all allthough they probably would have the most sensable people.

11 hours ago, Graydon Hicks said:

i have to say targaryen. all the other houses still identify themselves by the region they are from. tyrells are still reachlords, baratheons are still stormlords, starks are still northerners. but the targaryens are an outside, relatively impartial house. where they other house have a sense of regional patriotism, what you can get of that in a medieval age culture, with all the cultural prejudices that regional identity engenders, the targaryens, at least when they began the conquest, lacked any of that. sure, their ideals may not always be what we would want, but neither do they have any of that regional favoritism. that helped unify the other kingdoms, either under them, or before them, but it lead to the targs being seen subconsciously as a symbol of unity for the realm as a whole.

in fact, i think thats why the realm fractured as quickly as it did when robert died. for 20 years, with no targ on the throne, no realm recognised symbol of unity, still subconsciously, the kingdoms began to realign their sense of self from WESTEROSI, to REACH, or NORTH, or STORMLANDS, ect.

I agree ;) 

house targaryen. But in my opinion the seven kingdoms should be broken up a little. Let the north have their freedom. (hear me out)

The north is gigantic but given the size it has a very small population and it is not a wealthy part of the kingdom. And they are weak enough alone that they couldn't attack the rest of the realm. By doing this you have less space to govern and are able to focus your forces alot more. If a rebeliion pops up anywhere you can get soldiers there relatively quickly. The north also has a different religion then the rest of the realm and different customs so seperating them would make it easier.

The iron islands need to be occupied by the crowns soldiers to make sure they can't continue to raid and cause trouble. They always seem to be doing something stupid.

If not targeryan then highgarden if you let dorne have it's freedom (again very small country that can't rise against the rest of the realm).

I think barathoens are bad rulers given what we have seen.

Tully-to weak

The lannisters would eventually fall because they are only allowed to rule because they are feared and once someone that was in anyway soft or just not brutal came into power you would have everyone in the kingdom who has a hatred of lannisters now have a chance to take their revenge.

Archived