RIP Adam West

drawkcabi

Another real sad one for me. I wanted to give him a thread of his own.

For over 30 years he was the on screen live-action Batman with no rivals. For the latter end of the Baby Boomer generation and much of Generation X he was THE Batman we grew up with, so much so we wouldn't forget even when he sometimes wanted us too. Some of us may have given a sigh of relief when Batman's on screen portrayal became more dark and gritty, but we still felt a fondness toward West.

He was the Roger Moore of the Batman universe, and this year we lost both of them :( 

RIP, Mayor West, The Gray Ghost, the most Dynamic of the Caped Crusaders.

Today, I am saddened :(

I used to watch the old Batman serial, and most of all, I remember it for introducing me to the concept of cliffhangers. Every other episode, Batman and Robin would find themselves in a near-death situation, and my 7-year old self would be right there with them, at death's door. But of course they would always live to see another day.

Except today. RIP, Mr. West. So sad that you didn't have that age-repellant spray in your belt today.

Sad news. :(

I see the accusation of 'overacting' and of course, the series demanded some very broad stuff, but West was also capable of adding subtlety where needed. And he had a sense of humour about his fame, which opened doors for him later in life.

7 hours ago, mormont said:

I see the accusation of 'overacting' and of course, the series demanded some very broad stuff, but West was also capable of adding subtlety where needed. And he had a sense of humour about his fame, which opened doors for him later in life.

Yeah, I didn't intend that as a slam. That Batman show was probably the first live action TV show (along with Star Trek) that I was obsessed with as a child. He was perfect for the campy style that the show was going for.  

I watched an episode of his Batman series in his honour. Hadn't done that since I was a child, I think. I don't think I appreciated just how wonderfully campy everything about this show was as a kid. It actually must have been really hard to deliver some of those lines with a straight face.

May he rest in peace.

Somehow I missed this until seeing this thread. I remember watching the reruns in the 70's and I particularly remember being amazed when ever they threw the batarang on a building and climbed the batcable. Had no clue the camera was simply turned sideways.

The most recent thing I remember him in was The Big Bang Theory. Still knew how to play it up. 

Archived