snow is the man

how powerful was blood raven

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, devilish said:

I think that he acknowledged his psychic power AFTER he became a member of the NW not before.

 

I think he was skinchanging in KL it would be odd imo. Especially considering some lowly septon was slain by BR (or more likely his men) within a week after he preached. That's a short time for that info to get back to KL and dispatch men to execute him 

Edited by One-eyed Misbehavin
I meant to say odd if he was not skinchanging already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Nope. Bloodraven went to the wall so the king did not have to kill him for treason, sedition and the accursed stigma of violating the guest right. 
There is nothing to indicate that bloodraven planned to go to the wall, aside from reader fan fic of course. If he had a grand plan to go north, become the last greenseer and fight for the dawn, he could have just left, rather than doing something horrible 

He made the blackfyre's weaker by killing their next "king". I don't know enough about it but if he was planning on going north anyways why not do something to help his king one last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Why would he have to "orchestrate" anything when he would just be able to go to the wall under his own free will, like Maester Aemon? He was the most powerful man in the realm for a long time. So no, it makes no sense for him to enact some overly convoluted plan to violate the oldest tradition on the continent, destroy his own honor, wreck the honor of his family and then hope to get exiled to the wall instead of being executed. The hyper-convoluted explanation is what happens when there is over half a decade between installments of the books and fans end up digging for every little morsel they can find, and there is very little bloodraven in the books. So yes, fan fic is apt. 

Blood raven was way too smart to think there would be no consequences for what he did. It is either way out of character for him to be so stupid or he knew he was gonna get sent to the wall for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 16, 2017 at 2:37 PM, snow is the man said:

He made the blackfyre's weaker by killing their next "king". I don't know enough about it but if he was planning on going north anyways why not do something to help his king one last time.

Exactly. If br knew going north was his next step, why not help the realm in the process. He could have done the exact same thing and done it so he received no punishment at all. This would undermine the publics perception of the crown, antagonize the crowns enemies/rivals, and permanently tarnish the targ name. Instead he avoids all this at the cost of his own honor.

 

so then the question becomes, did he know about the threat of the others and plan to go north before or after going to the wall. We already know he could glamour through Maynard plumm, and his reputation as having a thousand eyes and one and the other tall tales the small folk tell strongly suggest his rule was helped by the use of magic in one form or another. Sure, it could only be glamours, as that's the only one we see explicit evidence of, but why should we assume it's limited to that. Look how magically powerful br is now, if he was learning mystical shit like glamours as a young man, it only makes sense that he would progress to learning more and more, specifically about the prophecy, and then later about green dreaming. Now we're all just trying to determine when he learned about the prophecy details/ the others. I would say him learning it sometime before going to the wall makes the most sense of all competing theories. More so than br being sent to exactly where he needed to go by coincidence, by a person whom was less powerful than br, and owes his kingship to br.

but I should stop, grrm doesn't like fan fic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aegon VII said:

Exactly. If br knew going north was his next step, why not help the realm in the process. He could have done the exact same thing and done it so he received no punishment at all. This would undermine the publics perception of the crown, antagonize the crowns enemies/rivals, and permanently tarnish the targ name. Instead he avoids all this at the cost of his own honor.

 

so then the question becomes, did he know about the threat of the others and plan to go north before or after going to the wall. We already know he could glamour through Maynard plumm, and his reputation as having a thousand eyes and one and the other tall tales the small folk tell strongly suggest his rule was helped by the use of magic in one form or another. Sure, it could only be glamours, as that's the only one we see explicit evidence of, but why should we assume it's limited to that. Look how magically powerful br is now, if he was learning mystical shit like glamours as a young man, it only makes sense that he would progress to learning more and more, specifically about the prophecy, and then later about green dreaming. Now we're all just trying to determine when he learned about the prophecy details/ the others. I would say him learning it sometime before going to the wall makes the most sense of all competing theories. More so than br being sent to exactly where he needed to go by coincidence, by a person whom was less powerful than br, and owes his kingship to br.

but I should stop, grrm doesn't like fan fic

wait what happened with maynard plum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

blood reven was the combination of a great spy master, and great general and a great politician, he was more powerful than the king himself since he was both feared and respected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also something that isn't commented on was the loyalty his men gave him. When he was sent to the wall a hundred (I think it says in the wiki) ravens teeth joined him. Not many people would have their troops decide to take the black with them like that especially not that many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

Also something that isn't commented on was the loyalty his men gave him. When he was sent to the wall a hundred (I think it says in the wiki) ravens teeth joined him. Not many people would have their troops decide to take the black with them like that especially not that many.

From the WB, Aegon V:

“Two hundred men went with him, many of them archers from Bloodraven’s personal guard, the Raven’s Teeth. The king’s brother, Maester Aemon, was also amongst them.”

As to Maynard Plumm, many believe he was Bloodraven disguised by a glamour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

From the WB, Aegon V:

“Two hundred men went with him, many of them archers from Bloodraven’s personal guard, the Raven’s Teeth. The king’s brother, Maester Aemon, was also amongst them.”

As to Maynard Plumm, many believe he was Bloodraven disguised by a glamour. 

I really need to get the world book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, snow is the man said:

I really need to get the world book.

Yes, you do! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe he was skinchanger, with a preference for ravens.  Being able to see and hear through ravens would have greatly enhanced his spying capacity without reliance on other people, accentuating his supernatural reputation.  Also, seeing through ravens with an aerial perspective during battles would have provided a huge tactical advantage.  It was commented that the Ravens Teeth always seemed to be in the right place at the right time, especially in the killing of Daemon Blackfyre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now