Will the spinoffs answer some mysteries?

LordImp

http://grrm.livejournal.com/536859.html

George hints that the planned spinoffs might expand the world. Rather than have the series in Westeros , they might be in areas of the world we haven't seen yet. 

This got me thinking that George might use the spinoffs to show us parts of his world that hasnt been featured in the books or the show. Yi ti , Asshai , Sothoryos ,Doomed Valyria etc. 

Maybe a series about Nymeria and the ten thousand ships , Lomas Longstrider , Yi Ti version of GOT? 

What do you think? Will the spinoffs shred some light on the mysterious parts of the world ? 

I don't think that it's likely, from a commercial point of view.

A spinoff from a successful series has to stablish connections with the previous shows. Since the prequels won't be able to show characters from GOT, the only chance they'll have at creating any kind of link between both series will be showing scenarios that we are familiar with.

It would make no sense to make a show about Asshai with no known character, no known scenario, no known noble family,... what would be the point of making a "successor show" if you don't use any of the material that's been introduced so far?

1 hour ago, The hairy bear said:

I don't that it's likely, from a commercial point of view.

A spinoff from a successful series has to stablish connections with the previous shows. Since the prequels won't be able to show characters from GOT, the only chance they'll have at creating any kind of link between both series will be showing scenarios that we are familiar with.

It would make no sense to make a show about Asshai with no known character, no known scenario, no known noble family,... what would be the point of making a "successor show" if you don't use any of the material that's been introduced so far?

Good point. Though GRRM has said that Roberts rebellion and Dunk and Egg will not be made into series.

I think it's likely that the Blackfyre rebellion will be one of the spinoffs. 

As for Asshai. It has been mentioned many times . They could perhaps make series about the origins of the red priests , then we will have a link to Got . 

Aegon Targaryen V sent comissions to Asshai to discover the secrets of dragon hatching. Having the Targaryen name will ceirtanly provide a connection with the main series. 

It could be a series focusing on the Faceless men , Dothraki etc. That's stuff people are familiar with .

The new shows dosen't neccesary have to be set in Westeros.

37 minutes ago, KINGpanther said:

for the spin off they will stay away from anything to do with Dragons so the CGI bill doesnt get to high

Agree. Thats why Dance of the dragons and Valyria probably won't happen. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2017 at 5:09 PM, LordImp said:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/536859.html

George hints that the planned spinoffs might expand the world. Rather than have the series in Westeros , they might be in areas of the world we haven't seen yet. 

This got me thinking that George might use the spinoffs to show us parts of his world that hasnt been featured in the books or the show. Yi ti , Asshai , Sothoryos ,Doomed Valyria etc. 

Maybe a series about Nymeria and the ten thousand ships , Lomas Longstrider , Yi Ti version of GOT? 

What do you think? Will the spinoffs shred some light on the mysterious parts of the world ? 

Well, I certainly hope so!!

My goodness, GRRM has got a LOT to work with on a LOT of sub-plots developed over about 5,000 or 6,000 pages.

Lotta loose ends to tie up there!!

Archived