Ned remembering the tourney at Harrenhal

Just something i notice when watching a random epispode yesterday.. Arya has met with her dancing instructor Syrio & Ned is watching on. As they spar, you can see Ned becoming more and more anxious looking. Look to about 3.19 on this link 

You can actually hear war sounds in the background as if Ned is remembering something here.

Could it just be him remembering wars he has been involved in?

My feeling is, the fact the Arya reminds him of Lyanna so much, he could be remembering her fighting (as the knight of the laughing tree) at the tourney of Harrenhall, and it has brought back the worry he felt that day too. Maybe this will become more clear if Bran can show us through a vision in season 7 

Interesting theory - I went back and rewatched this after you called it out.  I don't think Ned is flashing back to the tourney of Harrenhall, but rather fearing for his daughter's future in the wars to come, particularly as she seems inclined to violence.  I don't think the show would plan ahead that many years in advance.

I always assumed it was him remembering the sounds of his battles.

Say this is him remembering the tourney, ok, now what? Ned is dead so we as an audience can't possibly know that he was thinking about it, he can't tell us. At that point in the series was the tourney ever even mentioned?

As to Bran seeing it in a vision, is that sequence really so important to the show to waste time showing us what Ned was thinking about? Not to mention we have seen zero evidence that Bran or Bloodraven could read thoughts, only that they can see the past.

On 2017. 06. 13. at 6:34 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Interesting theory - I went back and rewatched this after you called it out.  I don't think Ned is flashing back to the tourney of Harrenhall, but rather fearing for his daughter's future in the wars to come, particularly as she seems inclined to violence.  I don't think the show would plan ahead that many years in advance.

Seconded. 

Nice catch though. 

21 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Seconded. 

Nice catch though. 

Yes. A very nice catch indeed!

And what a lovely clip from  the show

This thread has reminded me how much Ned hates tournaments, as a perversion of courage. 

No, not because of Harrenhal, but on general principles.

16 minutes ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Yes. A very nice catch indeed!

And what a lovely clip from  the show

This thread has reminded me how much Ned hates tournaments, as a perversion of courage. 

No, not because of Harrenhal, but on general principles.

GRRM being all progressive and enlightened and pacifist. But it makes sense for Ned to hate tournaments, And it fits his character well, so that's a nice resonance. 

But it does get funny sometimes when he puts his opinions into characters' mouths, like the time Jon tells Arya maybe girls should shave because look at septa Mordaine's legs.

4 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

GRRM being all progressive and enlightened and pacifist. But it makes sense for Ned to hate tournaments, And it fits his character well, so that's a nice resonance. 

But it does get funny sometimes when he puts his opinions into characters' mouths, like the time Jon tells Arya maybe girls should shave because look at septa Mordaine's legs.

Have you read this post in the Septa mordane thread?

Spoiler

She is obviously Jon's mother. It explains why Ned kept her around, why he defended her, and why she was a bit harsh towards Arya (she couldn't raise her own child but had to look after a brat who her lover had with another woman and looked just like her son. Imagine all the complicated emotions that would bring). Also, it would be just like GRRM to have Jon tragically make fun of Mordane's hairy legs without ever realising that she is his mother (not to mention the fact that Jon knows how hairy her legs are implies that he's an incestuous peeping Tom).

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/146015-what-do-we-know-about-septa-mordane/&do=findComment&comment=7916838

12 minutes ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Have you read this post in the Septa mordane thread?

Reveal hidden contents

She is obviously Jon's mother. It explains why Ned kept her around, why he defended her, and why she was a bit harsh towards Arya (she couldn't raise her own child but had to look after a brat who her lover had with another woman and looked just like her son. Imagine all the complicated emotions that would bring). Also, it would be just like GRRM to have Jon tragically make fun of Mordane's hairy legs without ever realising that she is his mother (not to mention the fact that Jon knows how hairy her legs are implies that he's an incestuous peeping Tom).

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/146015-what-do-we-know-about-septa-mordane/&do=findComment&comment=7916838

I'm kind of hoping this was a joke, otherwise it's the dumbest theory I've heard on this board and that's something to say. 

1 minute ago, RhaenysB said:

I'm kind of hoping this was a joke, otherwise it's the dumbest theory I've heard on this board and that's something to say. 

I assumed it was a joke. Especially given the thread and the replies the post got.

37 minutes ago, Prof. Cecily said:

I assumed it was a joke. Especially given the thread and the replies the post got.

Yup, that sounds right. Pffft, that's a relief. I mean after the septa Lemore is Ashara Dayne stuff, you can never know. 

8 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

My thoughts exactly.

8 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Yup, that sounds right. Pffft, that's a relief. I mean after the septa Lemore is Ashara Dayne stuff, you can never know. 

Ashara Dayne theories are usually my favorite - they are often so ridiculous and sprawling in scope.  Absolutely everyone either slept with Ashara, is Ashara's child, or is Ashara herself.  Part of me feels like GRRM maybe does have the whole series finished, but he got a little pissed off at the internet for figuring it all out, so he is just waiting to release the rest of the books until the forums make up enough crap that there would be genuine surprise for a relatively simple and coherent ending without 9 billion elements of foreshadowing, mistaken identity, and hidden references to other works of literature...

Yeah, thinking he has written anything else is wishful thinking.

What if Ned remembered things from the past including Tower of Joy. Arya is like Lyanna wild, she-wolf, horse girl, keen to learn how to fight and maybe it was shows version of Ned remebering these events, as opposed to fever dream he had in AGOT about it. Also partially what could happen to Arya in the future

On 13/06/2017 at 1:53 PM, Yoren "The Wanderly Crow" said:

You can actually hear war sounds in the background as if Ned is remembering something here.

Could it just be him remembering wars he has been involved in?

My feeling is, the fact the Arya reminds him of Lyanna so much, he could be remembering her fighting (as the knight of the laughing tree) at the tourney of Harrenhall, and it has brought back the worry he felt that day too. Maybe this will become more clear if Bran can show us through a vision in season 7 

Yes this is interesting. I can hear noises that sounds like a battle. Ned's memory is full of war but when he's watching Arya, there must be something in particular that reminds him of a battle. I agree with you that he's reminded of Lyanna, knight of the laughing tree and Tourney. Yes I think those sounds are from that Tourney.

I know people think it can't be this so early on in the series but only we can say that looking back on it? It might not have twigged for anyone back on Season One to think of it that way, if watching it again makes people think of Ned remembering a past battle. 

The Tourney at Harrenhal was full of laughter also wasn't it.

8 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

My thoughts exactly.

Ashara Dayne theories are usually my favorite - they are often so ridiculous and sprawling in scope.  Absolutely everyone either slept with Ashara, is Ashara's child, or is Ashara herself.  Part of me feels like GRRM maybe does have the whole series finished, but he got a little pissed off at the internet for figuring it all out, so he is just waiting to release the rest of the books until the forums make up enough crap that there would be genuine surprise for a relatively simple and coherent ending without 9 billion elements of foreshadowing, mistaken identity, and hidden references to other works of literature...

Yeah, thinking he has written anything else is wishful thinking.

Hahah, that would be funny. And yeah, the internet most definitely overanalysis everything single letter of the books. I don't think GRRM follows our madness but I'm sure he would be laughing his ass off if he found out Euron is actually Daario. 

But yeah, it's more likely he's never going to finish the books.

Lyanna was jousting as the Knight of the Laughing Tree with a lance, not fighting with swords, so those sounds wouldn't remind him of her at all. Unless it was when she beat up the squires, but that was just her and a tourney sword, not an actual sword fight. If it's bringing back a specific memory for Ned it's more likely to be the ToJ, or just battle sounds in general.

Archived