The Years of Rice and Salt

Ordos

I've started reading this interestingly named alternate history novel by Kim Stanley Robinson.

To be brief, the setting is a world without European powers. It asks what the world would look like if the Bubonic Plague wiped out 99% of Europe. The Islamic world and China are the most influential forces in the world. The structure of the novel is very interesting from what I've read. It's ten short stories taking place in ten different time periods of this alternate history. The stories are told from the perspective of people of various positions and circumstances both the powerful and those on the lowest level of society. The author insists that this alternate reality is not better or worse than this world. It's just different.

What's even more interesting is that the stories feature the same set of characters in reincarnations with each character identified by the first letter of their names. Reminds me a little of Cloud Atlas. Also each story seems to have a different style of writing. The elements of mysticism are there but for the most part it's subtle.

All of this I read on Wikipedia. I did not read into the specific plot details so the story is not completely spoiled. But I am very much looking forward to reading this because the reviews for this book I am told are overwhelmingly positive.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems there is more of that mysticism than I first thought. But it does not seem to change predictable real world event patterns. I just finished the tiger chapter. Wow! I did not expect that. From the perspective of an animal!

I enjoy the book, when I read it way back when it was released in mmpb, but it didn't live up to my expectations of the synopsis.  Just based on your thread title, I was going to recommend Cloud Atlas as a better book, but then I saw you had already read that.  I do remember really liking the tiger chapter.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished part 8. With some exceptions, I don't like how when things heat up and then the story abruptly ends and moves on to the next part of the book.

Otherwise this is truly a great read. I'm learning so much about religion and science. I can tell you that this is the first time in years I've learned things from reading a book and not looking it up online. 

I just finished the book. The ending was really sweet.

This book ALMOST beat my current favorite all time book. This book is a close second.

I would say that this is the best example and the first book to read if you are interested in alternate history.

Archived