U.S. Politics: A Democracy In Decay

13 hours ago, Mudguard said:

Trump is never going to release his tax returns, despite his earlier promises to do so.  However, Mueller is presumably going to be able to get access to Trump's tax returns and financial data.  If there is really a link to Russia through Trump's financial dealings, I'm confident that Mueller can run it down.  Unfortunately, I doubt that his investigation ends anytime soon and I'm unsure how much of his report is going to be made public.

Mueller's access is pretty orthogonal to publication of Trump's tax returns.  The investigation will almost certainly dovetail into wading through his annual statements.  But, unless they are a large part of some type of crime Mueller's investigation specifically levels towards Trump - which is incredibly unlikely - they will remain confidential/undisclosed.  It's not like the federal government doesn't have easy access to Trump's returns anyway.  I suppose this makes it more likely some of which are leaked, but that's not cool.

39 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You know what, I read the comments made by two of the candidates, and to dismiss their comments as 'he's just a blogger' is bullshit.

It's hard to have a discussion unless you provide some factual information...

Senator Kamala Harris is Slowly Gaining Cred as a Democrat Up and Comer...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/06/kamala_harris_got_shushed_and_became_a_hero_do_liberals_want_to_hear_what.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Pod Save America episode with a really good interview with Kamala Harris. Interview begins at 42:30

Possible presidential candidate?

32 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Senator Kamala Harris is Slowly Gaining Cred as a Democrat Up and Comer...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/06/kamala_harris_got_shushed_and_became_a_hero_do_liberals_want_to_hear_what.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Pod Save America episode with a really good interview with Kamala Harris. Interview begins at 42:30

Possible presidential candidate?

It's pretty ludicrous what can get you on the national map these days.  Don't get me wrong - she has more prior experience upon joining the Senate than Obama did, and will have the same number of years served upon 2020.  It's just...Obama got me on board with his 2004 DNC speech.  It wasn't because of some faux "outrage."  Anywho, whomever gets the nomination needs to actively counter Trump's BS.  Seems like she's ready to do that at least.

7 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

It's pretty ludicrous what can get you on the national map these days.  Don't get me wrong - she has more prior experience upon joining the Senate than Obama did, and will have the same number of years served upon 2020.  It's just...Obama got me on board with his 2004 DNC speech.  It wasn't because of some faux "outrage."  Anywho, whomever gets the nomination needs to actively counter Trump's BS.  Seems like she's ready to do that at least.

Frankly, at this point I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who will get more than half of the left excited, or if we're so intimidated by Trump's win that we're starting to see flaws in every possible candidate.

Of the names floated so far, Biden still seems like the best bet in my view. Well-liked, not as polarizing to the base as many others, experience, working class image and part of the Obama years.

7 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Yeah, I'm not suggesting she's some sort of messianic Obamaesque figure (but let's be honest, did Obama ever live up to that billing?) but she does appear to be a light at the end of the tunnel. I dig her.

1 hour ago, denstorebog said:

Frankly, at this point I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who will get more than half of the left excited, or if we're so intimidated by Trump's win that we're starting to see flaws in every possible candidate.

Of the names floated so far, Biden still seems like the best bet in my view. Well-liked, not as polarizing to the base as many others, experience, working class image and part of the Obama years.

It's still a ways away. Clinton came out of almost nowhere as well, as far as POTUS aspirations. Obama was an obvious one, but people thought he'd be a bit longer than he ended up taking. 

At this point you're either a well-known and liked commodity (like Biden) or you're a total newcomer who is charismatic. Anything else probably won't work. And that's assuming that future elections are remotely fair, which I still think isn't close to a safe assumption. 

3 hours ago, denstorebog said:

The left will be excited about beating Trump.  It's ensuring turnout and convincing that small percentage of actual indies that's the problem.  Biden is too old.  He's also not a very good candidate; his staff went bonkers in his previous runs, hate to see what they would do when he's pushing 80.

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I'm not suggesting she's some sort of messianic Obamaesque figure (but let's be honest, did Obama ever live up to that billing?) but she does appear to be a light at the end of the tunnel. I dig her.

Actually, I think Obama exactly lived up to his billing - but then I never thought his election was going to somehow cure DC with pixie dust.  Anyway, I dig her too.  Sorry if I totally gave the wrong impression there.  Would be all for her - and I think she's one of the few potential candidates that can actually get people excited.  

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

It's still a ways away. Clinton came out of almost nowhere as well, as far as POTUS aspirations. Obama was an obvious one, but people thought he'd be a bit longer than he ended up taking. 

At this point you're either a well-known and liked commodity (like Biden) or you're a total newcomer who is charismatic. Anything else probably won't work. And that's assuming that future elections are remotely fair, which I still think isn't close to a safe assumption. 

[Bill] Clinton emerged in a primary process that is entirely removed from our current reality show.  It's wide open in 2020 and you'd have to put a gun to my head to predict anything - Trump's changed things.

I, like most Americans outside of CA became aware of Harris at the Rosenstein and Sessions sessions (Wish we could have had a political thread titles "Sessions' Session Session") and I like what I saw as well. But yeah, I'll be enthusiastic for any Dem going against Trump.

Although, I wouldn't put it past Trump, if he holds out until 2020 to not run for reelection if he's still embattled, saying something like "I set out to prove what I wanted to prove and I don't need to do this anymore." 

I mean I could totally see him trying to stay in power for longer than two terms too, I can see him doing all kinds of outrageous acts, but he is really a "I'm taking my ball and going home, you're all losers" kind of person when he doesn't get what he wants.

I have been saying (and posting) this for years.  Real easy to see that top 20% sliding enmass into the Republican Camp and doing everything they can to protect that status.  More, they have a point.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-hoarding-of-the-american-dream/ar-BBCKMQq?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnclassic

In all of these viral posts, denizens of the upper-middle class were attempting to make the case for their middle classness. Taxes are expensive. Cities are expensive. Tuition is expensive. Children are expensive. Travel is expensive. Tens of thousands of dollars a month evaporate like cold champagne spilled on a hot lanai, they argue. And the 20 percent are not the one percent.  

A great, short book by Richard V. Reeves of the Brookings Institution helps to flesh out why these stories provoke such rage. In Dream Hoarders, released this week, Reeves agrees that the 20 percent are not the one percent: The higher you go up the income or wealth distribution, the bigger the gains made in the past three or four decades. Still, the top quintile of earners—those making more than roughly $112,000 a year—have been big beneficiaries of the country’s growth. To make matters worse, this group of Americans engages in a variety of practices that don’t just help their families, but harm the other 80 percent of Americans....

As a result, America is becoming a class-based society, more like fin-de-siècle England than most would care to admit, Reeves argues. Higher income kids stay up at the sticky top of the income distribution. Lower income kids stay down at the bottom. The one percent have well and truly trounced the 99 percent, but the 20 percent have done their part to immiserate the 80 percent, as well—an arguably more salient but less recognized class distinction.

37 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

I have been saying (and posting) this for years.  Real easy to see that top 20% sliding enmass into the Republican Camp and doing everything they can to protect that status.  More, they have a point.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-hoarding-of-the-american-dream/ar-BBCKMQq?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnclassic

Most of them are either already there or are in such liberal hands that it won't matter, and Republicans as they are aren't helping matters with their policies. Antiglobalization doesn't help them one bit for the most part. They already do private schools; making those private schools more busy won't help. They are more likely to take international vacations, and destabilizing those won't help. They live in cities, they know a lot more cultures, they're more likely to be atheists, etc. 

One way or another, movement in that group isn't particularly likely. 

32 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Coincidentally, there's some pretty interesting economic analysis dating from 1995 saying that in the next century only about one fifth of the global population will be active workers, earners and consumers. The remaining billions will either have to be kept busy through entertainment (or "tittytainment") or die. Unfortunately, when you try to do some serious research into this on the internet you tend to find bullshit conspiracy websites. This paper is decent though: http://www.multiculturalaustralia.edu.au/doc/gopalkrishnan_globalisation.pdf

2 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Actually, I think Obama exactly lived up to his billing - but then I never thought his election was going to somehow cure DC with pixie dust.  Anyway, I dig her too.  Sorry if I totally gave the wrong impression there.  Would be all for her - and I think she's one of the few potential candidates that can actually get people excited.  

As a candidate Obama was fantastic, obviously. I guess you could say I bought into the pixie dust fantasy to some degree.

9 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

You should give up on this character. She lacks a certain anatomical qualification.

24 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

You should give up on this character. She lacks a certain anatomical qualification.

I think it's public knowledge that she lost her left pinky due to her service with the Yakuza, but she has made all the appropriate mea culpas in regards to that time in her life. You know, the indiscretions of youth and all that. 

9 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

It is pretty apparent if you look at the Lorenz Curve for the United States. https://mathscinotes.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/2010lorenz.jpg 

As can be seen the top 20% of American households appropriate aproximately 50% of the income, whereas for example the bottom 20% appropriate only 3-4%.

So, pretty big income disparities. 

6 hours ago, WinterFox said:

I know that is meant as a joke to Hillary losing because she didn't have a penis, but I truly believe that other factors had far more influence on her loss.

She was pretty old and we all know how America looks at older women

She wasn't nearly as energetic and charismatic as Obama and she was gonna be compared to him, subconsciously or otherwise

She didn't hold as many rallies as Obama did, which meant that not as many people saw her in real life, which is important in battleground states

And off course the controversies (whether true or false) surrounding her

Archived