U.S. Politics: A Democracy In Decay

If Handel wins, worth noting that her entire campaign message was attacking Ossoff as a vote for Pelosi. 

And that's a theme we've seen over and over, because it works (Montana is another example). I don't care if its unfair, Pelosi needs to retire for the good of the party.

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

How much would you pay to sit in on the job interviews for his replacement?

I guess I'll pay for the food!

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

I don't care if its unfair, Pelosi needs to retire for the good of the party.

She should have stepped aside after 2010.  Hoyer too.  I'm not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, denstorebog said:

What the absolute fuck?

Remember that one bill that was overwhelmingly passed in a rare show of agreement between R's and D's? That bill that restricts Trump's power when it comes to Russia sanctions?

Apparently it was just blocked by Ways and Means. Jesus, can't they let us have at least *some* nice things?

glad dems gave up that silly empty gesture in exchange for something that matters

1 hour ago, denstorebog said:

If Dems perform half as well in the rest of the House elections as they seem to be doing in the SC one right now, they take the House. What do you know that we don't?

That we haven't won any fucking elections.

I'm tired of Democrats claiming "victory" because they lost by less than usual. I'm not saying that what happens here is necessarily a preview of 2018 -- though, let's not kid ourselves, it is absolutely a preview of 2018 -- but to lose by less is functionally identical to losing by the same amount. The Democrats are pathetic. They are batting .000 in the friendliest political climate in a generation. In Republican-held areas, sure, but that's where gains come from by definition.

Personally I'm hoping that in 2020 we have free and fair elections and no death camps. That's where my level of optimism is right now.

25 minutes ago, commiedore said:

glad dems gave up that silly empty gesture in exchange for something that matters

They are doing the empty gesture now. Odd that you're not applauding them for that. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

This video makes me feel sick. 

Where are all the 2A supporters?  Where's the NRA on this one?  I don't get why the gun hogs aren't up in arms over this one.  (OK, I get it, it's because he's black, but still, fuck those motherfuckers).

"I thought if he has the guts and the audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the five-year-old girl, and risk her lungs and risk her life by giving her secondhand smoke ... then what care does he give about me?" - Former Officer Yanez (source)

Yep.  Once Yanez realized that Castile might have smoked a joint!!!!!! around a child, there were literally no lows to which he might stoop.  Murdering a police officer - sure.  Now, the officer himself said that the four-year-old was in his line of fire, but marijuana?!?!?  Did you know that seven hundred million people are murdered every year with marijuana?  Facts.

Yanez also says that Castile matched the physical description of an armed robbery suspect.  He couldn't remember what the description was, other than African-American and dreadlocks, and he says that he couldn't see what Castile's hairstyle was (cornrows, dreads, or straight), but he sure as fuck was black with a busted tail light.

Case closed, execution conducted.  Well done shit head.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

How are they doing it now? I thought the point of that move is to do it once the Republicans try to bring the bill to the floor?

one of the things they are doing is trying to show the bills doesn't provide savings in the correct places to be passed by reconciliation, and so would require 60 votes to pass. it's an extreme long shot, and i hope there is more, but it's something.

4 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Senor Spicey's Dance Party has been cancelled indefinitely. Goodbye bush dwelling Hitler apologist. You will be sorely missed.

Wait, the video says he's bad at his job. I wonder if it is humanely possible for anyone to do this job for DJT any better?

6 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Wait, the video says he's bad at his job. I wonder if it is humanely possible for anyone to do this job for DJT any better?

Yeah, that's why I brought up how fun it would be to sit in on the potential replacements job interview. Like who the hell would want that job at this point?

20 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

How are they doing it now? I thought the point of that move is to do it once the Republicans try to bring the bill to the floor?

They're holding the Senate floor and refusing unanimous consent to move forward on everything save honorariums. It doesn't change anything. 

They'll also be doing some voteorama stuff when the bill hits, but chances are good that rs will just put forward a dummy bill and debate that for 20 hours and then amend with the real bill. 

26 minutes ago, commiedore said:

what makes you say that?

Your lack of crediting them for doing what you asked them to do and criticizing them for getting the sanctions passed. 

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

They're holding the Senate floor and refusing unanimous consent to move forward on everything save honorariums. It doesn't change anything. 

Isn't the timing regarding that kind of stupid? I thought the whole point of doing that would be to do it as late in the process as possible. The idea being that a 24 hours delay at that point might actually be significant.

2 hours ago, denstorebog said:

If Dems perform half as well in the rest of the House elections as they seem to be doing in the SC one right now, they take the House. What do you know that we don't?

While it is widely expected that Democrats will improve their positions in Congress (the party that does not hold the Presidency generally does so in midterm elections), special elections are not necessarily representative of the magnitude of this improvement. For example, in January 2010, Republican Scott Brown did not merely do better than expected in the Senate race of arch-liberal Massachusetts -- he actually won. However, this did not translate too Republicans winning the Senate in November 2010 (although they did narrow the Democrats' margin there).

The Georgia election was interesting: it looks like we're not quite at the level of an outright plutocracy yet. It would have been even more interesting had the Republicans not matched the spending of the Democrats (or close to it) in the end.

53 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Your lack of crediting them for doing what you asked them to do and criticizing them for getting the sanctions passed. 

ah, my apologies. please accept this retroactive "yaaasss, slay dems!" for the healthcare efforts. will be sure to update in a more timely manner when we manage to inflict harsher punishments on the poor, regular people of russia and iran 

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Well, after all the huffing and puffing about Georgia, the GOP will be pretty pleased with the result. Some silver lining for the Dems in South Carolina.

I have lived in South Carolina 21 years this August.  Unfortunately Jesus Christ himself could not win if he ran as a Democrat down here. 

Archived