What if Ashara Dayne is Dany's mom?

What if Daenerys is Rhaegar and Ashara's kid?

I know this sounds like a far-fetched theory. Here are a couple of reasons that made me even consider this:

1) Dany's birth and early childhood are one of the biggest mysteries in ASoIaF. Esp the lemon tree-braavos dilemma.

2) Dany and Ashara look alike.

3) Why would Rhaella name her daughter Daenerys? What if Ashara named Dany after the Dornish Princess.

4) Why Quaithe follow Dany? Who is Quaithe? What if Quaithe is Ashara trying to direct her daughter to the true path (remember who you are bullshit :P) What truth should Dany find in Asshai?

Surely one must analyze the timelines and how this might relate, but are we sure Dany is even Rhaella's child? Are we she was born at Dragonstone? What of the dreams she has of Rhaegar?

I would like to hear other's opinions!

You might find this interesting:

I try not to think too much about Dany's birth, youth and parentage, since nothing is certain, nothing seems very probable. All I know that I know nothing about it. Oh wait, I know one thing, she Sure isn't Stormborn. 

I personally think Dany is Rhaella's daughter, but there definitely is something important about Ashara Dayne that hasn't been revealed yet. She's brought up much too often not to have some sort of significance of the rest of the story, but I'm at a loss as to what that is. Perhaps she's fAegon's real mother? 

I'm leaning towards the idea that Shiera Seastar is Quaithe. I think it would make for great symbolism, to have Bloodraven be guiding Bran (Ice) while Shiera guides Dany (Fire). Then again, I also love the theory that Melisandre is their child, and her being a guide to Jon opens up a whole other can of symbolism. . . but I'm getting ahead of myself. I have no idea which theories are true and which are not, but I'm hoping TWOW will shed some light on many of these mysteries.  

I don't understand why people want Dany to someone else so bad.

1) The lemon tree thing is not really as big an issue as people try to make it out to be. Why a lemon tree is in Braavos is adequately explained twice (i think) in Feast. Yes there are no trees in Braavos except in the yards of the rich people that can afford them. So it just means the house with the red door was the house of a rich person in Braavos probably the Sea Lord that signed as a witness on the Viserys/Arianne betrothal. They were more than likely thrown out when that Sea Lord died. Even if this is not the case it could just mean Dany was a little kid at the time who moved around a lot and misremembers where exactly the house with the red door was. GRRM does a lot of nonreliable narrators. So without more the whole lemon tree thing, without more, doesn't indicate some big conspiracy to me.

2) Not really. I know  Barristan says something along those lines, but by physical description just seems like the similarities are that they both have purple eyes,

3) The first Daenerys was a Targaryen princess who married a Dornish prince becoming a Dornish princess, but she was still Targ first so it's not weird that another Targ would use the name. Also, Daenerys is presumably derived from Daenys who was a veryimportant figure in Targ history so another reason why the name is not a stretch.

4) True, Quaithe is a mystery, but unless she turns out to be Ashara her presence with Dany doesn't indicate Dany is not Rhaella's. At this point Quaithe could be anyone: Rhaella, Shiera Seastar, maybe even just Quaithe.

And as I always say on these threads, if Dany is not Rhaella's where is Rhaella's baby. There seems to be no question Rhaella was pregnant. Maybe she miscarried, but then how did anyone explain a baby popping up. Maybe she had a stillborn. Same thing then, where did the  baby come from. For the timeline to work Dany had to have already been at Dragonstone or had to have been smuggled in before Viserys and Dany were smuggled out of DS. 

9 hours ago, CattoftheCanals said:

I don't know, what if?

Figure out how Rhaegar and Ashara's child would happen in the first place (weirdly enough, while there are hints of something between Ashara and several men - Ned, Barry, Brandon - Rhaegar happens not to be one of them). And the logistics of passing Ashara Dayne's daughter as Daenerys Stormborn. And the reasons for such a subterfuge.

Put it all together into a theory, and we'll discuss. B)

10 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

IPerhaps she's fAegon's real mother? 

And Ned Stark the father? As much as I would love that to be true, I think that Illyrio and Serra are likely fAegon's parents. 

I am a supporter of Ashara Dayne as Dany's mother theory, but I don't think Rhaegar is the father because it makes no sense from a lot of angles. I believe the only father candidate, IF Ashara is indeed Dany's mother, is Ned Stark. That will explain everything about this story, and why Dany is so important and why she has an abundance of parallels to Jon Snow.

Please George, we need the next book already! Well, at least season 7 of the show is close, so it will scratch my "A Song of Ice and Fire" itch.

15 minutes ago, Scorpion92 said:

I am a supporter of Ashara Dayne as Dany's mother theory, but I don't think Rhaegar is the father because it makes no sense from a lot of angles. I believe the only father candidate, IF Ashara is indeed Dany's mother, is Ned Stark. That will explain everything about this story, and why Dany is so important and why she has an abundance of parallels to Jon Snow.

Please George, we need the next book already! Well, at least season 7 of the show is close, so it will scratch my "A Song of Ice and Fire" itch.

Interesting, but how do you explain Dany's pure targaryen features?

And yes the wait is almost over :D

Just now, CattoftheCanals said:

Interesting, but how do you explain Dany's pure targaryen features?

Those are not Targaryen features, those are Valyrian features, and House Dayne does have those. Even Barristan notes similarities of Dany's eyes to Ashara's.

Yeah, cannot wait :D

7 hours ago, Danelle said:

And Ned Stark the father? As much as I would love that to be true, I think that Illyrio and Serra are likely fAegon's parents. 

That would be very interesting. I also kind of like the idea of N + A = Dany. Just to set up the dynamic with Jon.

14 minutes ago, The Hoare said:

Then she's a bastard and Stannis is the only true king, even by a loyalist point of view

Stannis is the heir according to the line of succession. However, Robert's Rebellion has taught us in time of war, those with the power and people's support will take the throne. Yes, we don't know what will the reaction of the Westerosi be upon Dany's arrival but considering the growing danger, Westeros might welcome the 3 dragons happily, even spread the red carpet :P

19 hours ago, CattoftheCanals said:

I know this sounds like a far-fetched theory. Here are a couple of reasons that made me even consider this:

1) Dany's birth and early childhood are one of the biggest mysteries in ASoIaF. Esp the lemon tree-braavos dilemma.

2) Dany and Ashara look alike.

3) Why would Rhaella name her daughter Daenerys? What if Ashara named Dany after the Dornish Princess.

4) Why Quaithe follow Dany? Who is Quaithe? What if Quaithe is Ashara trying to direct her daughter to the true path (remember who you are bullshit :P) What truth should Dany find in Asshai?

Surely one must analyze the timelines and how this might relate, but are we sure Dany is even Rhaella's child? Are we she was born at Dragonstone? What of the dreams she has of Rhaegar?

I would like to hear other's opinions!

That is just a little crazier than my theory of the great other is  the bastard of Megatron and Optimus Prime 

28 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

That is just a little crazier than my theory of the great other is  the bastard of Megatron and Optimus Prime 

Bumblebee is the Great Other? :o 

@op, sorry op but I don't think that Dany is Ashara's daughter. One of the reasons is because if she was there was no reason to sent her in Essos.

1 hour ago, The Doctor's Consort said:

Bumblebee is the Great Other? :o 

:pirate:

1 hour ago, The Doctor's Consort said:

@op, sorry op but I don't think that Dany is Ashara's daughter. One of the reasons is because if she was there was no reason to sent her in Essos.

that and she probably died before Dan was born on DS 

5 hours ago, Kitten of the Canals said:

Winter is coming?:D

Seriously. Daenerys is born in 284, at Dragonstone. Close to one year after Ashara's death at Starfall and the Sack of KL...

...According to the records. But I don't believe someone would have bungled dates, babies, mothers and places so badly. Plus Viserys was 7-8 years when her mother gave birth to his sister. I believe he would remember something. Daenerys says most of what she knows about her family comes from him.

Archived