What if Ashara Dayne is Dany's mom?

On 6/15/2017 at 7:37 PM, Kitten of the Canals said:

What if Daenerys is Rhaegar and Ashara's kid?

I know this sounds like a far-fetched theory. Here are a couple of reasons that made me even consider this:

1) Dany's birth and early childhood are one of the biggest mysteries in ASoIaF. Esp the lemon tree-braavos dilemma.

More like an oversight by the author.  Some lemons in real life can survive cold climates and bloom in the spring.  Many citrus can survive down to the below freezing mark.  A greenhouse like Winterfell's can support any citrus even in the north.

2) Dany and Ashara look alike.

Only the eyes.

3) Why would Rhaella name her daughter Daenerys? What if Ashara named Dany after the Dornish Princess.

For one, Daenerys is a lovely name.  Second, maybe she got tired of Rhaenys. Rhaela, Rhaenyra, and those variations.

4) Why Quaithe follow Dany? Who is Quaithe? What if Quaithe is Ashara trying to direct her daughter to the true path (remember who you are bullshit :P) What truth should Dany find in Asshai?

Do recall that Quaithe addresses her "Daenerys Targaryen."  Is there really truth in Asshai? 

Surely one must analyze the timelines and how this might relate, but are we sure Dany is even Rhaella's child? Are we she was born at Dragonstone? What of the dreams she has of Rhaegar?

We can never be sure of anyone's parentage in the absence of modern testing but Dany's birth was witnessed by many.  Ser Willem Darry risked his life and gave up all to keep her safe.  You don't do that for just a Dayne. 

I would like to hear other's opinions!

Does it really matter?  The reason for blood purity is two-fold.  Dragon abilities and it limits the number of potential claimants to the throne.  Dany already hatched her dragons.  She's a dragon rider.  Those are accomplishments that even the purest blooded Targaryen would envy.  What would blood purity give Dany that she doesn't have already?  Nothing. 

Archived