Dany marrying Edric

Kaibaman

I don't know why this hasn't come up before but I feel there is a lot of interesting things that can come out of Dany marrying Edric Storm. For me personally I think at some point in the next book Dany and Edric will be bumping into each other. They will either meet as Dany journeys across Essos or if Edric goes to her. Now despite the bad blood between their houses, I can see the two of them becoming good friends very quickly. The two of them do have some things in common such as being born on Dragonstone (Edric was at least conceived there and has some knowledge about the place), both are royal exiles who have experience in being noble fugitives in Essos.

When it comes to their personalities, they are both kind hearted and genuinely good people in their own ways. Edric to me has always been a more nicer and considerate version of Robert. Just look at the way he helped Davos up when he returned to Dragonstone after Blackwater, plus he's one of the few people who's really nice to Shireen and doesn't treat her like a walking disease. And also like Robert's other bastards he's described to be pretty handsome and is very lean and athletic (the kind of men Dany likes) with the added bonus of being very charming and able to make friends easily like his father and Renly. Now when he left Dragonstone in ACOK he was about 12 years old, now I think he is around 13 to 14 and has probably grown quite a bit in his time in exile. Dany is 17 now in the books so there's not really a big age difference between them.

Now one thing the two of them may clash over is the fact that both of them seem to lionize and worship their father/brother who were arch enemies. There's no doubt Edric could get on Dany's nerves by boasting about his great father, the man who overthrew her family and killed the big brother she worships, and the same could happen to Edric if Dany starts talking smack about his dad. But if they are able to overcome this point of contention, they could allow their families to heal past grievances and even unite.

Politically Dany could do very well in marrying Edric as he is the last viable Baratheon after Stannis and Shireen. And I don't think Stannis and Shireen are going to make it out of the books alive. I think like in the show Stannis will sacrifice Shireen when his campaign in the North goes really bad and he gets super desperate, and he himself will end up dying in battle. When that happens House Baratheon would cease to exist unless one of Robert's bastards takes up the mantle of the stag kings. Edric is pretty much the only candidate to be legitimized as he is the only acknowledged bastard of Robert who is noble born and educated and is well known by Baratheon supporters. So if he and Dany were to marry then their two royal lineages would become one so long as Tommen, Myrcella and Aegon all end up dying in the books then there really would be no one left to oppose their rule.

And on a practical level, if like his father Edric's seed is strong then he might be the only one who can cure Dany of her sterility.

Edric can only be legitimized by Dany AFTER she takes control of the throne and proclaimed.  The marriage will have to come later because I don't think it's smart for a Queen to marry a bastard.  Only a ruling ruler can change a person's legal and social status from illegit to legit.

It's funny you should mention this, because I remember seeing something online once where someone claimed to have gotten some "leaks" on TWOW, and that leak concerned Dany possibly forming a marriage alliance with Edric Storm. Who knows if there was any truth to it (I doubt anyone who read the manuscript would just casually mention something like that to one of their friends), but ever since then I've wondered if it could happen. It would help her gain prominence over Stannis, like you mentioned, and whenever GRRM leaves a character alive (i.e. The Blackfish) they usually pop up later on. It would also be a really neat way to turn fan theories on their hands. So many people think that Dany will marry Jon, and here she would be marrying a noble bastard. . . just a different one than anticipated. 

1 minute ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

Edric can only be legitimized by Dany AFTER she takes control of the throne and proclaimed.  The marriage will have to come later because I don't think it's smart for a Queen to marry a bastard.  Only a ruling ruler can change a person's legal and social status from illegit to legit.

I realize that but I'm thinking that since Stannis has already entertained the idea of legitimizing one of Robert's bastards, that maybe he has a hidden will that legitimizes Edric and makes him the head of House Baratheon if he and Shireen dies. It would be like Robb's will that declares Jon his heir and I think Stannis would have this as a failsafe because not only is Edric the only viable candidate but he is also half Florent which means the Florents would probably go to him if Stannis and his daughter are no longer around.

1 minute ago, Kaibaman said:

I realize that but I'm thinking that since Stannis has already entertained the idea of legitimizing one of Robert's bastards, that maybe he has a hidden will that legitimizes Edric and makes him the head of House Baratheon if he and Shireen dies. It would be like Robb's will that declares Jon his heir and I think Stannis would have this as a failsafe because not only is Edric the only viable candidate but he is also half Florent which means the Florents would probably go to him if Stannis and his daughter are no longer around.

Stannis has the same problem that Dany and Robb have.  He hasn't been crowned yet to make legal decisions like that.  Tommen has been crowned and the public doesn't know or doesn't care whether he's a stag or a lion.  It's a problem for anyone wanting to take the throne and make rules. 

That would make sense for Stannis to plan ahead like that.  He's a smart man who would plan for a spare heir.  Edric is a good choice.  I would assume he can read.  Literacy is a good quality in a potential ruler.  Better choice than Gendry. 

3 minutes ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

Stannis has the same problem that Dany and Robb have.  He hasn't been crowned yet to make legal decisions like that.  Tommen has been crowned and the public doesn't know or doesn't care whether he's a stag or a lion.  It's a problem for anyone wanting to take the throne and make rules. 

That would make sense for Stannis to plan ahead like that.  He's a smart man who would plan for a spare heir.  Edric is a good choice.  I would assume he can read.  Literacy is a good quality in a potential ruler.  Better choice than Gendry. 

Of course he's better than Gendry. Gendry is baseborn, didn't have a proper education and doesn't know how to read or write and he's not exactly a native Stormlander. Edric on the other hand was raised at Storm's End and was trained by maesters and masters of arms. Plus Stannis doesn't even know who the hell Gendry is and he's never even met him so he can't endorse him to become his heir now can he?

Why would dany want to marry some bastard who has nothing to offer to her in her quest to recover the 7k? Not to mention that the Baratheons are now arch enemies of house targaryen after they illegal deposed the rightfull ruling family despite the targaryens being the ones who orginally gave the Baratheons storms end and made them a significant family. He should be lucky if danearys doesn't decide to disinherit house Baratheon and dispossess them of storms end and the stormlands (which I think she will)

Dany is now strong enough that she doesn't need any political support from a potential marriage. She has dragons just like Aegon and Aegon did not marry any Westerosi woman in order to add support to his forces. What dany should now be concerned with is to have a pure blooded valyrian as a husband in order to make the bloodlines even purer (hopefully faegon). It would be sad for the rest of the targaryen kings to be men with black hair and no valyrian features whatsoever because that's exactly what will happen if she marries edric because the Baratheon genes are too dominative. 

9 minutes ago, Yucef Menaerys said:

Why would dany want to marry some bastard who has nothing to offer to her in her quest to recover the 7k? Not to mention that the Baratheons are now arch enemies of house targaryen after they illegal deposed the rightfull ruling family despite the targaryens being the ones who orginally gave the Baratheons storms end and made them a significant family. He should be lucky if danearys doesn't decide to disinherit house Baratheon and dispossess them of storms end and the stormlands (which I think she will)

Dany is now strong enough that she doesn't need any political support from a potential marriage. She has dragons just like Aegon and Aegon did not marry any Westerosi woman in order to add support to his forces. What dany should now be concerned with is to have a pure blooded valyrian as a husband in order to make the bloodlines even purer (hopefully faegon). It would be sad for the rest of the targaryen kings to be men with black hair and no valyrian features whatsoever because that's exactly what will happen if she marries edric because the Baratheon genes are too dominative. 

I know that but Dany has trouble conceiving and with the Baratheons, though their genes are way too dominant, their seed is strong so Edric might be Dany's only hope of continuing her line. But ideally Dany should marry a Velarion as they too seem to be able to ride the dragons.

Willas Tyrell would be the better choice. The true born heir to the Reach is better then a bastard born possible heir to the Stormlands. (f)Aegon has more control over the Stormlands then anyone right now anway so Edric Storm has almost nothing to offer her. On a personal level I bet she rather marry someone she knows to be a Blackfyre then one of the "usurpers" bastards.

Unless Edric can control a dragon or capture Daenerys heart on his looks and charms alone I don't see it happening.

18 minutes ago, Kaibaman said:

I know that but Dany has trouble conceiving and with the Baratheons, though their genes are way too dominant, their seed is strong so Edric might be Dany's only hope of continuing her line. But ideally Dany should marry a Velarion as they too seem to be able to ride the dragons.

I always took strong as meaning the Baratheon genes will dominate any other gene i.e if a Baratheon were to have a child with anyone the child would look Baratheon regardless. I don't think strong means having more fertile seed, Stannis is a Baratheon too and he's having problems trying to have children. I don't think Baratheon seed is any more potent than others.

I second your point about dany marrying a Velaryon although at this point the head of the house has died at the Battle of the blackwater and the current lord is his 6 years old (?) Son, Aurane Waters is the only one close enough to her age to marry her except he's a bastard. Although I don't have a problem with dany legitimising and then marrying him since their children will look valyrian.

I like this match.

He is a possible rallying point for Stormlanders.

And if Stannis and Shireen bite the dust Edric is the only rallying point for Stormlanders.

And is soooo cute!

I agree that there are better matches. And much worse too.

This one does not scream "bad idea" or "simply wrong" at me - unlike some other matches I can think off ...

Edric is the bastard son of a Usurper, whom in turn is the descendent of a Targeryan Bastard. He's got no army either. Danny's best bet is to marry Willas Tyrell. The relationship between the Tyrells and the Lannisters is already strained and if Danny promises Mace's son a crown and a pardon for Margaery then I fancy the Tyrells switching sides. The Lannisters can choose between bending the knee and then move to CR with Tommen (ie Margaery's husband) as Warden of the West or face a second field of fire

Once the Reach and the Westerlands had bent the knee then it will be relatively simple to settle everything down. Danny's flight to the Vale will be enough to force Robin to shite in his pants while there's enough Riverlands/Northern Lords hostages in CR to tip the balance against LF and Roose Bolton.

3 minutes ago, devilish said:

Edric is the bastard son of a Usurper, whom in turn is the descendent of a Targeryan Bastard. He's got no army either. Danny's best bet is to marry Willas Tyrell. The relationship between the Tyrells and the Lannisters is already strained and if Danny promises Mace's son a crown and a pardon for Margaery then I fancy the Tyrells switching sides. The Lannisters can choose between fecking off to CR after bending the knee or face a second field of fire.

Ok except there's no guarantee that the Tyrells will be on her side than say Aegon instead. If Margaery either ditches or loses husband number three, then its likely that she'll be hitched to (f)Aegon next. And I'm just presuming that Dany won't be thrilled when she hears about her long lost 'nephew' taking her throne and will be challenging his claim to the Iron Throne which means she'll also be fighting the Tyrells. Aegon's powerbase right now is mostly made up of the Golden Company, a handful of Stormland houses and perhaps the Tyrells in the future. If Edric appears then he could shake things up in the Stormlands as Robert's 'rightful heir' and might help give Dany some support and legitimacy to rule through the Baratheon affinity.

7 minutes ago, Kaibaman said:

Ok except there's no guarantee that the Tyrells will be on her side than say Aegon instead. If Margaery either ditches or loses husband number three, then its likely that she'll be hitched to (f)Aegon next. And I'm just presuming that Dany won't be thrilled when she hears about her long lost 'nephew' taking her throne and will be challenging his claim to the Iron Throne which means she'll also be fighting the Tyrells. Aegon's powerbase right now is mostly made up of the Golden Company, a handful of Stormland houses and perhaps the Tyrells in the future. If Edric appears then he could shake things up in the Stormlands as Robert's 'rightful heir' and might help give Dany some support and legitimacy to rule through the Baratheon affinity.

The Stormlands army is gone. It was either killed at Blackwater's bay or had since bent the knee to the Lannisters. That's why it was so easy for FAegon to cause a havoc there. There's barely anyone left there to stop him. FAegon's army is around 10k strong. The Tyrells-Lannisters can raise a 100k army. If they sneeze, FAegon will get hurt.

Now we all know what Mr Mace Tyrell want. He wants to see a Tyrell sitting on the IT and his daughter to leave that mess with her head held high. Danny can provide him with both. She can marry Willas + If the Lannisters can be persuaded to bend the knee (a 60k army + 10-20k army for Danny + 3 dragons will convince them to do so) then Tommen can bend the knee and be appointed Lord of CR and Warden of the West. No one can be more gracious towards products of incest then a queen whose a product of incest herself.

The GC  loyalty is not towards FAegon but towards the Targeryan/Blackfyre dynasty. If Danny arrives to Westeros with dragons at her side then rest assured that they will bend the knee to her.

7 minutes ago, devilish said:

The Stormlands army is gone. It was either killed at Blackwater's bay or had since bent the knee to the Lannisters. That's why it was so easy for FAegon to cause a havoc there. There's barely anyone left there to stop him. FAegon's army is around 10k strong. The Tyrells-Lannisters can raise a 100k army. If they sneeze, FAegon will get hurt.

Now we all know what Mr Mace Tyrell want. He wants to see a Tyrell sitting on the IT and his daughter to leave that mess with her head held high. Danny can provide him with both. She can marry Willas + If the Lannisters can be persuaded to bend the knee (a 60k army + 10-20k army for Danny + 3 dragons will convince them to do so) then Tommen can bend the knee and be appointed Lord of CR and Warden of the West. No one can be more gracious towards products of incest then a queen whose a product of incest herself.

The GC  loyalty is not towards FAegon but towards the Targeryan/Blackfyre dynasty. If Danny arrives to Westeros with dragons at her side then rest assured that they will bend the knee to her.

Ok first of all Dany is still a really long way away from Westeros, is already known by some to be married and for all the Tyrells know the Martells have already managed to hitch her with one of their own. Which means its quite possible that her hand is no longer available. And yes you're right Aegon has very limited military strength but as you have pointed out before, the Lannister-Tyrell alliance is on the verge of collapse and with Kevan gone and Cersei hated. Its quite likely that Mace will now maneuver to unshackle his daughter to Tommen and give her over to Rhaegar's thought to be dead 'son'. Lets face it that is possible and if it happens then there's no doubt that the Tyrells will be fully committed to keeping Aegon in power which means they will be opposed to Dany when arrives on their shores.

36 minutes ago, Kaibaman said:

Ok first of all Dany is still a really long way away from Westeros, is already known by some to be married and for all the Tyrells know the Martells have already managed to hitch her with one of their own. Which means its quite possible that her hand is no longer available. And yes you're right Aegon has very limited military strength but as you have pointed out before, the Lannister-Tyrell alliance is on the verge of collapse and with Kevan gone and Cersei hated. Its quite likely that Mace will now maneuver to unshackle his daughter to Tommen and give her over to Rhaegar's thought to be dead 'son'. Lets face it that is possible and if it happens then there's no doubt that the Tyrells will be fully committed to keeping Aegon in power which means they will be opposed to Dany when arrives on their shores.

I very much doubt that Hizdahr will survive Danny's return to Westeros. If the Targ queen return as a young widow with 3 dragons at her back, then rest assured that most Lords in Westeros would probably sell their own mother to marry her. Whose better off marrying her than Willas Tyrell, a brilliant Lord Paramount in waiting whose father own the biggest army in Westeros and had served Danny's father faithfully? Ironically that union is appeasing even to the Lannisters who might see themselves retaining CR and the Westerlands due to the union between Tommen and the Queen's new sister in law. No one can understand the tragedy of being the innocent product of incest and the child of a crazy parent better then Danny. After all her father was the mad king and Tommen's mother is the mad queen.

The Lannister-Tyrell alliance is on the verge of collapse. However their hands are already full thanks to Euron + Margaery seem to have grown fond of Tommen. The Tyrells aren't the Lannisters. They love family (Mace joined Renly because Loras liked him very much), they are quite fond of their reputation as dependable people and will never engage themselves in a Rain of Castamere/Red Wedding scenario unless they are 100% sure that the blame wont be pinned upon them. The only way, Mace will accept Margaery to lose her little crown of hers is for her to get something of value (CR?) and for another Tyrell to replace her on the IT. Aegon can't provide that. Danny can.

Like you said, nobody seems to care if Tommen is a stag or a Lion and I don't think anybody really cares about Robert's bastards, he was a fresh king only named so because of his Targaryen blood way down the line and his warhammer. Even legitimized bastards are looked down upon so I don't see Dany marrying Edric and it wouldn't be that good of a polictical decision, she would be better off marrying Willas or even Theon for all I care (I don't like Dany much, she is never gonna sit the Iron Throne)

Archived