Dany marrying Edric

Kaibaman

The fact that a Dany/Edric marriage seems so unexpected is what I like about it. Despite all the carefully crafted prediction we make, there are some things that simply can't be anticipated. No one could have known that Dany would marry some guy named Hizdahr zo Loraq. Robb's death was foreshadowed, as was the end to his marriage alliance with the Freys, but no one could have predicted he would end up married to some girl named Jeyne Westerling that we had never heard of before. A lot of readers predicted that Aegon and Jon Connington were still alive, but there was no way of knowing that they were working together, about to invade Westeros. GRRM has a knack for introducing new plots, characters, and twists that change the story all the time, and that's one of the things that makes ASOIAF so exciting. 

5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The fact that a Dany/Edric marriage seems so unexpected is what I like about it. Despite all the carefully crafted prediction we make, there are some things that simply can't be anticipated. No one could have known that Dany would marry some guy named Hizdahr zo Loraq. Robb's death was foreshadowed, as was the end to his marriage alliance with the Freys, but no one could have predicted he would end up married to some girl named Jeyne Westerling that we had never heard of before. A lot of readers predicted that Aegon and Jon Connington were still alive, but there was no way of knowing that they were working together, about to invade Westeros. GRRM has a knack for introducing new plots, characters, and twists that change the story all the time, and that's one of the things that makes ASOIAF so exciting. 

Dany marrying Hizdahr was logical because she needed to secure here rule in Meereen, marrying a local nobleman is a great way to do that. Robb's marriage was just a honourbound fuck up to kill him off. Is alive Jon Connington helping his former best friend's (or love interest) son (maybe) so much of a shock? Invading Westoros was the only logical step, hanging around in Pentos doesn't do much for Aegon.

7 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

That's how I feel about it as well. I mean why else would there be a need for Edric becoming a fugitive in exile, if not for him to meet Dany and for the two of them to reconcile their differences. Whether or not its a wise decision for them to marry, I think Edric is totally the kind of guy Dany would go for and if by the time they meet Daario and Hizdahr are gone, then they could become lovers. It would also be quite symbolic as their union could bring closure to the animosity between their houses. I am sure Robert and Rhaegar would be very happy looking down on them and seeing their heirs together, burying the hatchet they dug up and their families becoming one.

3 hours ago, Tygett Blackwood said:

Such as?

I'm just curious.

In general - all and any involving non-Targ incest, Ramsey, or Euron. Baelish is icky as well. A popular fanfic features Tywin/Sansa ...

As to Daenerys - I'm fairly sure there was an Euron/Dany fic.

I am not saying that Edirc is perfect or the best solution, simply IMO "not that bad".

I agree that Edric does not bring much, if anything, at Daenerys' reconquista. However, AFTER the conquest he gives her a good chance to have a non-revolting province. I'm aware that it is a case of "one down and seven to go" - but let us start somewhere :) ...

One can look at him as a bastard of the Usurper, the Usurper descending from a House founded by suspected Targ bastard. But that House also happens to be descended from the Storm Kings. And that House had married with the Targs - Edric's great-grandma was Rhaelle Targaryen, daughter of Aegon Vth, aunt to Aerys II.

Bastard or not - the Florents will be ECSTATIC if Edric ends up as Prince Consort. The Tyrrels never managed even that much :)

Prince Consort - this is another benefit for Daenerys. Bastard and from weak Stormlands - Edric is rather unlikely to wrest the throne from her. He might try, there is no cure for stupid and/or ambition, but she is the stronger of the two partners.

People here mention Willas Tyrrel as a better choice of hubby for Dany.

OK - he gives Daenerys arguably the strongest of the Seven Kingdoms. And then - together with the Measrtres (who are in HighTower/Tyrrel pockets) he murders her and/or her dragons. That is the worst case scenario, of course.

He has nothing to offer to her. Plain and simple. And even if she is hypothetically able to take Iron Throne and King's Landing, let's just say she does. What will the marriage with Edric bring her? The stronger support of Stormlands banners - a faction that changed allegiances THREE times in the current story, and to the OPPOSING team? Robert's rule was stable because of people surrounding him - Ned Stark and Jon Arryn and their marriage to the Tullys kept the North, Vale and Riverlands in line; Robert's own marriage to the Lannisters made sure Tywin and Westerlands support his regime and gold kept flowing to royal coffers; the Reach and Dorne did not cause any trouble because it would have been more trouble than worth; I am excluding Iron Isles because their rebellion was stupid as hell, but even there they do not acknowledge the power of mainlanders, they are just made from different cloth. After Stannis' defeat at Blackwater and now the arrival of Jon Connington and Golden Company, I just do not see a scenario where marrying a Baratheon (and a bastard at that) will have a positive and stabilizing influence on Dany's reign. The Baratheon name just does not have enough power behind it.

But again, it is not impossible, just unlikely.

Hmm I'm trying to think of how a Dany/Edric union could come to pass. If Varys and Illyrio truly are Blackfyres, then they could scheme to have Dany marry Edric as a way of making her claim seem weaker compared to Aegon's, who will likely be married to one of the most highborn ladies in the realm. It's also worth noting that Stannis, the Lannisters, and the Tyrells are all in a weakened state right about now. There could be some Stormlanders and Robert Baratheon loyalists who have been scheming ever since ACOK to put Edric on the throne. This will be greatly complicated, over course, by the arrival of Aegon. . . 

And for the record, this is all just speculation. I don't necessarily think any of this will come to pass, but it's an interesting topic that I find enjoyable to speculate on.

Archived