So let's hear it...What is jon's real name?

Jaehaerys Stark

I have read many different opinions regarding this subject on reddit.  I am curios what you all think.  After having watched the ToJ scene a million times and also keeping in mind certain things from the books, I think it will be Jaehaerys.  It's actually what inspired my name on here, obviously.  I just don't see how it could be Aegon, which some have speculated.  That may have even been in the season 7 leaks, but I can't remember.  It just wouldn't make sense for Rhaegar to name Jon Aegon, when in the books and show, he already had a son named Aegon.  Now, I could see him naming him Aemon, who was Rhaegar's great great uncle (maester Aemon) and a good man. But, if we look at the fact that we see parallel after parallel in GoT, I think it's no coincidence that Jaehaerys I and II were both considered good kings who had the people's best interests in mind.  Jon is currently KITN and may very well be on his way to becoming King of Westeros, especially if the season 7 leaks are correct in that

Jon and Dany hook up.  They might just end up reigning together after all the dust has settled.  Who knows.  But that's a ways down the road.  Either way, Jaehaerys is where I'm placing my money.  What do you guys think?

On 16 June 2017 at 0:24 PM, Jaehaerys Stark said:

I have read many different opinions regarding this subject on reddit.  I am curios what you all think.  After having watched the ToJ scene a million times and also keeping in mind certain things from the books, I think it will be Jaehaerys.  It's actually what inspired my name on here, obviously.  I just don't see how it could be Aegon, which some have speculated.  That may have even been in the season 7 leaks, but I can't remember.  It just wouldn't make sense for Rhaegar to name Jon Aegon, when in the books and show, he already had a son named Aegon.  Now, I could see him naming him Aemon, who was Rhaegar's great great uncle (maester Aemon) and a good man. But, if we look at the fact that we see parallel after parallel in GoT, I think it's no coincidence that Jaehaerys I and II were both considered good kings who had the people's best interests in mind.  Jon is currently KITN and may very well be on his way to becoming King of Westeros, especially if the season 7 leaks are correct in that

Hide contents

Jon and Dany hook up.  They might just end up reigning together after all the dust has settled.  Who knows.  But that's a ways down the road.  Either way, Jaehaerys is where I'm placing my money.  What do you guys think?

I'm putting my bets on 'Aemon.' Just because, there is a lot of foreshadowing in the books of this and it would also make all of the Maester Aemon-Jon scenes (in the books and the show) incredibly ironic. And it would also make it very bittersweet, judging how good their relationship was. 

And also, the show has also taken Jaehearys II out of the Targearyen family tree, which would make us missing that generation. They also haven't mentioned Jaehearys I in the show- so if they have taken out both of them, Jon's unknown name being Jaehearys would make show only-watchers totally confused. It's not a name they know or can relate other characters or the story with. Same with Aegon, they haven't mentioned any Aegon in the show so it wouldn't make any sense. And if they decide to make a prequel, they would have to show Rhaegar's first son Aegon to be part of the story line, which they wouldn't be able to do if Rhaegar's second son was also called Aegon (as I said, it's confusing to show-watchers only). 

Also, mostly every Aegon seems to have a brother called Aemon in the books. For example: 2 sons of Jaehearys I were called Aegon and Aemon, Aegon II and brother Aemon during dance of dragons, Aegon IV and Aemon the dragonknight, Aegon and Aemon Blackfyre, Aegon V and Maester Aemon, etc. So following this, it would also make it ironic if Rhaegar's son Aegon also have a brother called Aemon (Jon). 

Hello.  First, I think that Jon Snow will always be Jon Snow to me, and maybe to him as well.  As far as his birth name, I think it is either Jaehearys or possibly Aemon for the show.  But I definitely am leaning toward Jaehearys in the books.  Rhaegar name both of his sons Aegon?  Why?   That makes no sense to me.  I only go by my book and show experience to make predictions.  I realize others strongly adhere to subreddit leaks from last fall, but my personal hunch is that we are being led into some traps and the show might just fool us with some unexpected twists.  As I am sure others have mentioned before, in an earlier season of GOT Rhaegar's children with Elia Martell were mentioned already.  It has already been established on the show that Rhaegar had a son named Aegon.  I am sure that according to history, other families named more than one child the same name, my hunch is telling me that this isn't happening when it comes to Jon's birth name. 

Aemon, but of course Jon Snow for everyday :-)  
1. When Robb and Jon, as boys, were fighting in the courtyard, playing warriors, Jon claims that he will be Prince Aemon Targaryen, The Dragon Knight.  
2. Maester Aemon is a widely respected character who treated Jon fairly at Castle Black.  It would be a nice callback.
3. Prince Aemon carried a valyrian sword, which was previously carried by the sister/wife of an Aegon Targaryen.  (aunt/wife?)
4. Many of us have suspicions that Jon will somehow become associated with at least 1 of the dragons.  
5. Finally, Martin does provide breadcrumbs now and then, so Aemon it is.

I would think if he has a real name in the books before his potential cover name "Jon" than I would think Aemon would be it. Rheagar and Aemon wrote each other a lot in the books and while they never met, the bonded through research on TPWWP.

If there is another name that the show will present, Aegon would be stupid as even on the show, it was established that Rheagar's infant that was killed by the Mountain at the end of Robert's Rebellion, as in the books was Aegon. The show though can and will do what D&D&C want to do.

Archived