Dalla's child?

Hello eveyrone, hope all is well!

I have a question. May sound stupid but here it goes... Why did Jon switch Dalla's kid with Gilly's? Couldn't he just give Gilly both infants? or did he imagine that no one will suspect they were switched? if yes how was Melisandre to know that the current child is not Mance's? in her flames?

I got lost there and any clarification would be great. Thanks!

If I remember correctly, he thought that if he gave both children to Gilly, Stannis would send one of his ships after her. I don't think he ever planned on letting Gilly's baby burn, but rather he hoped Stannis would never find out. If he did, I imagine Jon would then reveal the truth, possibly landing himself in hot water but preventing both Gilly and Dalla's sons from being killed. 

2 hours ago, Kitten of the Canals said:

Hello eveyrone, hope all is well!

I have a question. May sound stupid but here it goes... Why did Jon switch Dalla's kid with Gilly's? Couldn't he just give Gilly both infants? or did he imagine that no one will suspect they were switched? if yes how was Melisandre to know that the current child is not Mance's? in her flames?

I got lost there and any clarification would be great. Thanks!

Jon tells Gilly that she has to switch the boys to keep Mance's boy, Aemon Steelsong, safe. If she takes both boys then the Queen's men will ride after her for sure and then all three will burn. Jon was protecting the baby because if it comes down to Mel actually ever wanting to burn the baby, Jon can come out with the truth at the time to (piss of Mel) make it so Mel won't "need" to burn the baby. The same reason why Jon sent measter Aemon away with Sam on that trip. To protect them both from Mel and her itchy firestarter fingers.

A Dance with Dragons - Jon II

The raven picked up the word. "No," it screamed.
"Refuse, and the boy will burn. Not on the morrow, nor the day after … but soon, whenever Melisandre needs to wake a dragon or raise a wind or work some other spell requiring king's blood. Mance will be ash and bone by then, so she will claim his son for the fire, and Stannis will not deny her. If you do not take the boy away, she will burn him."

"I'll go," said Gilly. "I'll take him, I'll take the both o' them, Dalla's boy and mine." Tears rolled down her cheeks. If not for the way the candle made them glisten, Jon might never have known that she was weeping. Craster's wives would have taught their daughters to shed their tears into a pillow. Perhaps they went outside to weep, well away from Craster's fists.

Jon closed the fingers of his sword hand. "Take both boys and the queen's men will ride after you and drag you back. The boy will still burn … and you with him." If I comfort her, she may think that tears can move me. She has to realize that I will not yield. "You'll take one boy, and that one Dalla's."
"A mother can't leave her son, or else she's cursed forever. Not a son. We saved him, Sam and me. Please. Please, m'lord. We saved him from the cold."

Archived