Stannis: Is there life in the old boy yet?

Lollygag

12 hours ago, John Doe said:

They commited worse crimes. Flaying isn't any nicer than burning, much less so considering that Stannis burns people because fire magic is proven to work and the Boltons just flay people because they can. The kinslaying part remains to be seen, it has been hinted that one Bolton may kill the other. 

Kinslaying using blood magic take the biscuit. Neither Joffrey nor Roose had ever done that.

If the others plan of having a general on the field then Stannis would be perfect. He's experienced, he's increasingly becoming disillusioned by people, he's ready to do anything to sit on the IT and he's a man who keeps his side of the bargain. With the dragon queen's arrival imminent a lot will be bending the knee to her and her dragons. That will force Stannis to rethink his strategy bringing the last Baratheon king closer to magic

9 hours ago, devilish said:

Kinslaying using blood magic take the biscuit. Neither Joffrey nor Roose had ever done that.

What blood magic? We don't know how exactly Melisandre did it. Plus he arguably did it in self defense, so I'm not sure how the gods would view that one. 

35 minutes ago, John Doe said:

What blood magic? We don't know how exactly Melisandre did it. Plus he arguably did it in self defense, so I'm not sure how the gods would view that one. 

Its blood magic. Also Renly wasn't killing Stannis. Stannis was going into war against his brother, terms which both agreed with.

Or shadowbinding. AGoT, Tyrion IX...

His father frowned. "I have felt from the beginning that Stannis was a greater danger than all the others combined. Yet he does nothing. Oh, Varys hears his whispers. Stannis is building ships, Stannis is hiring sellswords, Stannis is bringing a shadowbinder from Asshai. What does it mean? Is any of it true?" He gave an irritated shrug. "Kevan, bring us the map."

2 hours ago, TsarGrey said:

Or shadowbinding. AGoT, Tyrion IX...

Quite interesting. There seems to be a discrepancy.  One person says Selyse has taken up with red priest and another says Stannis is bringing a shadowbinder from Asshai.

A Clash of Kings - Tyrion III   "Varys told us some years past that Lady Selyse had taken up with a red priest," Littlefinger reminded them.

A Game of Thrones - Tyrion IX   Oh, Varys hears his whispers. Stannis is building ships, Stannis is hiring sellswords, Stannis is bringing a shadowbinder from Asshai.

https://asearchoficeandfire.com 

4 hours ago, John Doe said:

What blood magic?

Seems to me, that throughout the years the definition has grown from conjecture to conjecture (supposition, guess, possibility, assumption) and parrots squawking.

I too am kinda curious what is blood magic?  Did the blood magic start when Varys was castrated or with the MMD Drogo Dany baby or Mel’s leeches. Thanks.

21 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

If Winterfell is the prize..... maybe Stan can rediscover for us why.   Why is it and the Starks so valuable in Winter.   There may be a way for Stan to go cold while still resisting the call of the Others.   Looks like he'll be inside the walls before They arrive.  So then we'd just have to hope that something shakes out.   of the crypt

This has been an especially interesting thought to muse on. I had assumed somewhere along the way (GRRR on accidental headcanon ideas) that we'd learn about Winterfell and the history of the Starks though one of the Starks themselves, but the idea that we may learn from Stannis, Asha and Theon is much more intriguing.

Theon probably knows as much about Winterfell as the Stark kids. Stannis is from Storm's End which was also built by Bran the Builder. That could be significant.

5 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Quite interesting. There seems to be a discrepancy.  One person says Selyse has taken up with red priest and another says Stannis is bringing a shadowbinder from Asshai.

Mel is more than one thing. In AGoT prologue Cressen thinks her as "Melisandre of Asshai, sorceress, shadowbinder, and priestess to R'hllor, Lord of Light, Heart of Fire, the God of Flame and Shadow."

4 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I too am kinda curious what is blood magic?  Did the blood magic start when Varys was castrated or with the MMD Drogo Dany baby or Mel’s leeches. Thanks.

I'd propose that blood magic is simply magic that uses blood. MMD cutting throat of Drogo's stallion, Maggy sucking blood from fingertips of Cersei and Melara. I don't count Mel's leeches, if she indeed foresaw the deaths and just stole credit. Bringing forth a shadow seems to need seed as ingredient, as implied by Mel's chapter and pestering Jon at the Wall. Though you could say lifeforce it seems to drain is sacrifice in different form.

I wouldn't call weirwood sacrifices as blood magic per se.

Though now I wonder if you were asking something different alltogether... but, I'm out. This went OT anyway.

21 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I don't feel it strange. Varys was probably accurate: Melisandre was interested in Dragonstone. She met Selyse, who listen to her, Who "taken up" with her. Progressively Melisandre entered Stannis' plans. Finally, she was fully part of them, like a sellsword. It didn't matter anymore if Selyse or Stannis were first converted by Melisande.

It was Selyse who got cozy with Mel way before Stannis, who hasn't been converted like Selyse but acknowledges Mel has powers and intends to use them. 

ACoK Tyrion

“Pycelle cleared his throat. “These words often appear in letters and documents from the Free Cities. They mean no more than, let us say, written in the sight of god. The god of the red priests. It is their usage, I do believe.”
Varys told us some years past that Lady Selyse had taken up with a red priest,” Littlefinger reminded them.”

1 hour ago, BalerionTheCat said:

I don't feel it strange. Varys was probably accurate: Melisandre was interested in Dragonstone. She met Selyse, who listen to her, Who "taken up" with her. Progressively Melisandre entered Stannis' plans. Finally, she was fully part of them, like a sellsword. It didn't matter anymore if Selyse or Stannis were first converted by Melisande.

I had previously typed in a different thread that according to Cressen ---- Stannis during the CoK prologue had the privilege of maintaining Dragonstone for 12 years although Stannis spent his time mostly at KL. I assume Mel arrived at Dragonstone sometime during those 12 years.

23 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

A Clash of Kings - Tyrion III   "Varys told us some years past that Lady Selyse had taken up with a red priest," Littlefinger reminded them.

A Game of Thrones - Tyrion IX   Oh, Varys hears his whispers. Stannis is building ships, Stannis is hiring sellswords, Stannis is bringing a shadowbinder from Asshai.

In the above quote a poster posted the GoT quote which made me question the CoK quote.  Perhaps the spy's, birds or collaborators don't know the difference between a priest and a priestess or a priest and a priestess according to Martin mean the same thing. :cheers:

On 21/06/2017 at 11:10 PM, kissdbyfire said:

ACoK Tyrion

“Pycelle cleared his throat. “These words often appear in letters and documents from the Free Cities. They mean no more than, let us say, written in the sight of god. The god of the red priests. It is their usage, I do believe.”
Varys told us some years past that Lady Selyse had taken up with a red priest,” Littlefinger reminded them.”

I remember Selyse was taken up before Stannis. But I had forgotten the "some years past". Is that mean Melisandre was actively seeking AAR that long ago? I would believe she is above the task of converting people to R'hllor, and was not there for that. Maybe she was interested in Dragonstone, because of its history, a place with smoke (volcano) and salt (sea)? Did she receive visions from R'hllor? Is there something she knew was announcing the Long Night?

18 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

I remember Selyse was taken up before Stannis. But I had forgotten the "some years past". Is that mean Melisandre was actively seeking AAR that long ago? I would believe she is above the task of converting people to R'hllor, and was not there for that. Maybe she was interested in Dragonstone, because of its history, a place with smoke (volcano) and salt (sea)? Did she receive visions from R'hllor? Is there something she knew was announcing the Long Night?

All good questions, and we don't have answers for none of them. I like the idea that Dragonstone itself was what originally made her go there. Then there's the fact that "Melisandre has her own agenda", which may be different than that of other red priests...

Archived