Could melisandre have converted Robert?

Stormking902

I could be wrong but its never mentioned if Mel had ever had the oppurtunity to have king Roberts ear even for a short amount of time, I believe if she did he would have become smittin with her in a way due to her confidence and hell she could easily drink Robert under the table due to her abilities which make her immune to poison lol. 

If she did manage to out drink Robert im sure he would keep her around either for that or her beauty and over time if Robert sees the magical things shes capable of he might allow her to spread the word of Rhollar around Westeros. 

Maybe for a few nights. Cersei would try to have her sent away or killed if Mel spent anymore time with Robert then that. I'm sure she'd consider her a threat to her and her children if she and Robert became close.

Plus the obsession with fire that Mel has might remind Bob of Aerys and Targaryens in general and he wouldn't like that one bit.

10 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Maybe for a few nights. Cersei would try to have her sent away or killed if Mel spent anymore time with Robert then that. I'm sure she'd consider her a threat to her and her children if she and Robert became close.

Plus the obsession with fire that Mel has might remind Bob of Aerys and Targaryens in general and he wouldn't like that one bit.

Robert was known to be a good drinking buddy of Thoros of Myr who was also a red priest who was sent to Westeros to convert king Aerys, who just happens to light his sword on fire before he starts a fight.  If Robert could enjoy his company im sure he could enjoy a beautiful woman like Mels company lol. 

Robert wasn't religious at all. On top of that, the second she started going on and on about stone dragons - or any type of dragons, really - she'd find herself short by a head. 

I think Robert would have scoffed at Mel the same way Renly did. Plus though he was not very pious, he was already a follower of the Seven and didn't have the same anti-theistic/agnostic attitude Stannis got after their parents died. Maybe Robert might have just flattered Mel and pretended to be converted just to get into her pants, but as soon as he gets bored of her he'll just ignore her entirely and she will be just some curiosity in his court without any real influence.

I thought Thoros of Myr was sent to convert King Robert.   Seems to me R'hllorists have been ingathering quite a bit over the past couple of decades.    I doubt it was chance that brought Morqorro to both Tyrion and Vic or Mel to Stannis.  Benerro has latched onto Dany.    These guys are puppet masters.   Or at least aspire to be puppet masters. I still want to know how Mel got hold Selyse in the 1st place. 

Nah, I think King Robert was completely apathetic toward all the gods and any religion.   It looked like he was the one who converted Thoros for a long time.   Now Thoros has found his special purpose and I doubt it is to convert anyone to the Lord of Light.  But he's sure amassed a following, hasn't he?

9 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

I could be wrong but its never mentioned if Mel had ever had the oppurtunity to have king Roberts ear even for a short amount of time, I believe if she did he would have become smittin with her in a way due to her confidence and hell she could easily drink Robert under the table due to her abilities which make her immune to poison lol. 

If she did manage to out drink Robert im sure he would keep her around either for that or her beauty and over time if Robert sees the magical things shes capable of he might allow her to spread the word of Rhollar around Westeros. 

thoros couldn't, so neither could Mel

I think Robert would have hated her as much as he hated Cersei.  He'd bed her, sure, but he would grow tired of her really quickly.

Random aside - do we know the timeline of when Mel went to Dragonstone?  I was under the impression that she had been there and converted Selyse and it was when Stannis fled KL following Jon Arryn's death is when he met Mel for the first time.

On 6/18/2017 at 3:22 PM, Curled Finger said:

I thought Thoros of Myr was sent to convert King Robert.   Seems to me R'hllorists have been ingathering quite a bit over the past couple of decades.    I doubt it was chance that brought Morqorro to both Tyrion and Vic or Mel to Stannis.  Benerro has latched onto Dany.    These guys are puppet masters.   Or at least aspire to be puppet masters. I still want to know how Mel got hold Selyse in the 1st place. 

Nah, I think King Robert was completely apathetic toward all the gods and any religion.   It looked like he was the one who converted Thoros for a long time.   Now Thoros has found his special purpose and I doubt it is to convert anyone to the Lord of Light.  But he's sure amassed a following, hasn't he?

Yup to all of this (except Thoros was for Aerys), especially the fact that Robert seems to have converted Robert during their time together :cheers:

No way would Robert go along with anything dragon related at that point in his life.

Robert wasn’t a godly man. Also he knew better not to piss off the faith of the 7 militants who crippled the Targeryan rule despite them having dragons. There’s a bigger chance of Robert ‘converting’ Melisandre instead just as he did with Thoros.

21 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Random aside - do we know the timeline of when Mel went to Dragonstone?  I was under the impression that she had been there and converted Selyse and it was when Stannis fled KL following Jon Arryn's death is when he met Mel for the first time.

That I know of it is not explicitly stated when Mel had the pleasure of meeting Stannis.

It is said by LF that Varys had news. A person would need to look at the context. I think, but am not sure, but I think that this is said after Jon Ayyrn's death and Stannis has left KL.

A Clash of Kings - Tyrion III   "Varys told us some years past that Lady Selyse had taken up with a red priest," Littlefinger reminded them.

There is a blurb that Mel had been hanging round Dragonstone and converted Selyse in Stannis’ absences and that Stannis wasn’t really interested in Mel's spiel.

A Clash of Kings - Prologue    God, she said, not gods. The red woman had won her [Selyse], heart and soul, turning her from the gods of the Seven Kingdoms, both old and new, to worship the one they called the Lord of Light.    "Your god can keep his grace," said Lord Stannis, who did not share his wife's fervent new faith. "It's swords I need, not blessings. Do you have an army hidden somewhere that you've not told me of?" There was no affection in his tone.

Cressan also says  in the prologue that he came to Dragonstone with Stannis 12 years ago. I guess that is after Robert’s Rebellion and the siege of Storms End ended.

A Clash of Kings - Prologue     A maester must go where he is sent, so Cressen had come here with his lord some twelve years past, and he had served, and served well. Yet he had never loved Dragonstone, nor ever felt truly at home here.

Cressen expounds that Stannis didn’t visit Dragonstone frequently during the years.

When he had gone to King's Landing to sit on Robert's council, he had left Selyse on Dragonstone with their daughter. His letters had been few, his visits fewer; he did his duty in the marriage bed once or twice a year, but took no joy in it, and the sons he had once hoped for had never come.

Soooooooo, as per Martin style, Mel turning up at Dragonstone is verra vague. She turned up at Dragonestone sometime during 12 years.

4 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

That I know of it is not explicitly stated when Mel had the pleasure of meeting Stannis.

It is said by LF that Varys had news. A person would need to look at the context. I think, but am not sure, but I think that this is said after Jon Ayyrn's death and Stannis has left KL.

There is a blurb that Mel had been hanging round Dragonstone and converted Selyse in Stannis’ absences and that Stannis wasn’t really interested in Mel's spiel.

Cressan also says  in the prologue that he came to Dragonstone with Stannis 12 years ago. I guess that is after Robert’s Rebellion and the siege of Storms End ended.

Cressen expounds that Stannis didn’t visit Dragonstone frequently during the years.

Soooooooo, as per Martin style, Mel turning up at Dragonstone is verra vague. She turned up at Dragonestone sometime during 12 years.

Thanks for detailed accounting.  This was very helpful!

• 4 weeks later...
On Invalid Date at 3:22 PM, Curled Finger said:

Actually Thoros was sent to convert Aerys .

Archived