NBA Draft 2017: Sixers, Celtics and Will LaVar Ball Lose His Shit on National Television Edition

Manhole Eunuchsbane

A little surprised to see Jarrett Allen go in the first round.  I follow Texas baskettball pretty closely, second only to my Mountaineers, and felt like he could have used another year of college.  Looks like he made the right move, time will tell if the Nets did.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Seems like these sharpshooters fall in the draft every year, and turn out to be among the most valuable players in the draft. Monk to Charlotte is a great pick at 11.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

absolutely. i think Monk is a steal at 11. 

Ditto. Best move of the draft so far. And, I absolutely love Monk at 11 going to the Hornets. Damn, MJ might be on the verge of being a competent owner...

ETa: I was referring to Butler to T-Wolves and quoted wrong posts. But, I still love Monk at 11. Oh man, the Lakers will rue this day taking Ball, mark my words.

10 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Oh man, the Lakers will rue this day taking Ball, mark my words.

Not convinced Ball is second pick worthy, but I do think he's a good player with potential.

What irritated me though was ESPN dedicating time to taking to his dad after he was drafted.  Quit fucking giving that guy the time of day.  He exists because sports media continues to indulge him.  I don't need to know about this guy, is ESPN hard up for content or something?

13 minutes ago, S John said:

Not convinced Ball is second pick worthy, but I do think he's a good player with potential.

What irritated me though was ESPN dedicating time to taking to his dad after he was drafted.  Quit fucking giving that guy the time of day.  He exists because sports media continues to indulge him.  I don't need to know about this guy, is ESPN hard up for content or something?

They're going to keep putting the camera on him because he gets a reaction, and ESPN is basically just TMZ at this point anyway.  They aren't in the business of impartial sports reporting any more.  They're in the business of hot takes and peddling wild rumors with dubious sourcing.

Actually, I take that back...TMZ is probably more credible as a reporting network at this point than ESPN.

31 minutes ago, S John said:

I've said in this thread and the CBB thread I don't believe he was what everyone thinks he is, a franchise player. I do wish the kid nothing but the best though, I don't think he is at all anyway like his father.

Now, what bothers me most about him is how nonchalant he is. No urgency. He showed against UK, that when he was beat, he was done. Those type of attributes don't translate into a star in the NBA. He definitely is talented, great passer and teammate. Everyone points to his shot, I don't think that will hinder him. Its his attitude. He acts like he has nothing to prove. If he would go hard, give 110% night in, night out...well he could prove me wrong. And, I hope he does, I genuinely like the kid and think he has a great personality. I'm not a hater. He just needs to change the way he approaches the game, more heart and go out there with something to prove. At UCLA, he acted as if he didn't need to give that kinda effort. That's what worries me with him.

The Bulls decisions are abso-fucking-lutely god damn terrible. Single worst job of any of the GMs, by a huge margin. Selling off Jordan Bell, who probably is already a better prospect than Dunn who fucking blew last year? Oh, we drafted a Mirotic clone? And we get to hope Lavine comes back healthy in January! Fucking awesome, Forman! 

I expected to be disappointed, but not shocked. Jesus christ. I'm drinking more.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

The Bulls decisions are abso-fucking-lutely god damn terrible. Single worst job of any of the GMs, by a huge margin. Selling off Jordan Bell, who probably is already a better prospect than Dunn who fucking blew last year? Oh, we drafted a Mirotic clone? And we get to hope Lavine comes back healthy in January! Fucking awesome, Forman! 

I expected to be disappointed, but not shocked. Jesus christ. I'm drinking more.

Yeah, the Bulls front office should commit mass seppuku tonight. Just horrid. They even managed to totally fuck the pick.  

I confess that I do lot follow NBA that closely. But here's what I do not understand: 

If the celtics did not rate Fultz high enough to keep the pick, why do the deal with Philly that early? If Boston held on till the draft day, they could conceivably make an offer to the Knicks for Porzingas that would have been more acceptable (and face saving) to Phil Jackson. And then may be use the next year's Nets pick and trade for Jimmy Butler. We all saw how little the T'wolves had to surrender. The Warriors and Lebron are huge deterrents, I get that. But this version of the Boston team would have been good enough to contend now and would have been young enough to take over when GS and Lebron's team started to fade.

7 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The Lakers may have tanked to some small degree this season, but they would've been in the lottery regardless.

Not to a small degree, they tanked big time. It's not a coincidence that they started out playing decent basketball and then just turned into a steaming pile.  And next year there will be plenty of teams tanking on purpose. Magic, Sixers, Suns, Kings, Bulls all have bad teams and no incentive to win. Nets and Knicks will be a dumpster fire.

Excellent trade by the Wolves. A year ago I would have been pissed, but LaVine's injury and Dunn's underwhelming rookie year makes this deal a whole lot better. Also, the dude we got with the 16th pick looks like a steal. \

I think this trade also confirms that Rubio has earned the starting PG role going forward and that Jones is actually the PG of the future. The latter has a lot of Steph Curry in him. 

The more I think about the Jimmy Butler trade, the sadder I become. I can't believe they traded Butler away for Zach LaVine, who's coming off of an ACL injury, and an underwhelming Dunn. They sent him to Minnesota for pennies on the dollar.

Hello darkness my old friend.....

Also, the Kings murdered this draft. They got a guy with a legitimate chance to be the best player in the draft with the #5 pick (and a guy who is an athletic freak, high character kid, and has a very high floor), they got Justin Jackson at 15, the former #1 HS prospect at 20, and the Naismith winner in the second round.

That is an incredible haul.

Archived