NBA Draft 2017: Sixers, Celtics and Will LaVar Ball Lose His Shit on National Television Edition

Manhole Eunuchsbane

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Because Butler likely would have been eligible for the DPE, and there was no way in hell Chicago was giving anyone 240 million in guaranteed money.

Melo will likely be bought out this summer, as no one is going to trade for him (and he has a no trade clause, so he can nix trades to any team he doesn't want to play for) and Phil has all but ran him out of New York.  Once he's bought out, he's likely to either join the Cavs or the Clippers.  If Chris Paul leaves the Clippers, he'll almost certainly be joining the Cavs.  Same deal with Wade.  They'd basically be getting Melo for free.  It's not like they're going to trade Love for him.

Personally I wouldn't want Wade, even on a league minimum contract. He looks so washed. 

33 minutes ago, sperry said:

One thing I like about the T-Wolves is that Towns is a player the Warriors are not set up to deal with. They're probably still too young to compete in earnest, but their roster is set up well.

Towns is the main reason that we've beaten the Warriors once each of the last two years. He's one of the few players that Green can't do anything against. He struggles with athletic bigs who can shoot and create their own shot. But then again, almost everyone struggles against those handful of bigs. 

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

I don't see Melo playing for little money. I've made it clear what I think of Melo's value as a player (Hint: a lot less than most basketball fans on this board), but I think his ego won't allow him to go to the Cavs for a small deal.

If Melo is bought out, he'd essentially be making most if not all of his New York money, so they'd basically be paying him to play elsewhere.  In the likely event that Melo has to leave New York, I think he's a lock to join on with a title contender, and that's not a long list.  

1 minute ago, briantw said:

If Melo is bought out, he'd essentially be making most if not all of his New York money, so they'd basically be paying him to play elsewhere.  In the likely event that Melo has to leave New York, I think he's a lock to join on with a title contender, and that's not a long list.  

Can't agree with that last bit. He's a liability in today's game, at this point in his career.

46 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Can't agree with that last bit. He's a liability in today's game, at this point in his career.

I think he's a liability if he's your team's best player.  But if he joined the Cavs, he'd be their third or fourth best player.  He'd also make the Cavs a tougher match-up with the Warriors, because if Kyrie/LeBron/Melo/Love are the one through four, you can't hide Curry on anyone defensively. 

It's also worth noting that Melo has never in his career been anything other than the best player on his teams.  And given that he's a tier two or three star at his absolute best, that's historically been his problem.  He's always balled out for Team USA and in All-Star games, though, when he's got other, better guys to set him up for success.

On a related note, I've read an interesting theory that the reason that the Cavs haven't hired Billups yet is because, while he plans to take the job, right now he can legally tamper as much as he wants because he's not technically employed by an NBA team.  He can call up guys like Paul George, Melo, and Wade and talk to them and see exactly what they're thinking.  He won't be able to do that (without the other team's permission) once he accepts the job with the Cavs.

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

So I'll bite briantw... why is Windhorst in LeBron's doghouse now?  He's been so far up his ass for years to me it seems inconceivable.

All I know is that Windhorst has no sources in LeBron's camp any more.  He got cut off at some point when LeBron was in Miami, I believe. 

And when LeBron did return to Cleveland, Broussard was the only person at ESPN who was told prior to the release of the Sports Illustrated article.  Everyone else at ESPN was caught off guard and none of them knew the announcement was coming that day or at that time.

14 hours ago, briantw said:

I think he's a liability if he's your team's best player.  But if he joined the Cavs, he'd be their third or fourth best player.  He'd also make the Cavs a tougher match-up with the Warriors, because if Kyrie/LeBron/Melo/Love are the one through four, you can't hide Curry on anyone defensively. 

You can't play those guys 1-4 for any significant amount of time, and if the Cavs bring in Melo he'd have to be their 6th man who from time to time plays a lot in the 4th quarter. At this point what the Cavs have to do is a three team trade that brings in George, and I think Boston is the ideal third team. Send George to Cleveland, Love to Boston and a pick and a player to Indiana. If the Cavs can do that and add a few good role players they should be competitive with Golden State next year.

Yeah that lineup doesn't make sense. Melo and Love are both 4s (and Love is like 10x better than Melo). But if you traded Love for a wing and added Melo for cheap, you could play LeBron/Kyrie/Wing/Melo/Thompson no problem.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Yeah that lineup doesn't make sense. Melo and Love are both 4s (and Love is like 10x better than Melo). But if you traded Love for a wing and added Melo for cheap, you could play LeBron/Kyrie/Wing/Melo/Thompson no problem.

That wing better be one hell of a defender, cause that leaves you two big holes to fill on the defensive end.

I seen ideas of packaging Ball for Westbrook...Lakers would get a steal there. I don't see it happening, though. I think Westbrook is dead set on staying in OKC, adding some pieces and proving to the world just how great he is. 

I know, I can already here the posts saying that Westbrook can't lead a team to a title....well, my assessment says BULLSHIT. He is by no means greedy, he's a team player regardless of his stats that say the opposite. He had NO choice this year but to do all that he did. If you get him a couple 3 & D guys and an athletic stretch 4 he can go places. I think no one in the NBA has more heart or the will to win than Westbrook. And, he completely won me over this year.

ETA: Oh, Westbrook won the MVP too, huh. You guys should listen to the MSJ more often. Though, my assessment of the finals kinda evens things out. I'm a 50/50 guy in my predictions. :)

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

^^^ He's a gamer, for sure. I don't think anyone is questioning his heart. It's his seeming lack of ability to play team ball. Granted, it made sense for him to play that way this year, but he has had really good teams around him, and the concept seems to escape him. 

I think he is a guy that has to be the only Superstar on the team, with a bunch of high-quality role players. You're right, he doesn't want to share the limelight. 

Also, congrats on Dray-Dray on DPY, very deserving.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That wing better be one hell of a defender, cause that leaves you two big holes to fill on the defensive end.

Carmelo isn't that bad of a defender. He's certainly not great, but he's not the train wreck he's being made out to be.

Archived