NBA Draft 2017: Sixers, Celtics and Will LaVar Ball Lose His Shit on National Television Edition

Manhole Eunuchsbane

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No, not really. People aren't saying that Melo is bad, just that it's a bad fit because:

Golden State is the best offensive team and a top three defensive team. The Cavs cannot beat them if they keep loading up on offense while continuing to be a bottom third defensive team. Melo is not going to address this.  

That's not sound logic. You can't just add elite two way players. Melo is a great offensive player, and if you can add him for cheap that's a fantastic fit. Adding a great offensive player helps counter the great offense of the Warriors. And especially with it looking like the Warriors may lose Iguodala and Livingston, their defense is going to come down a notch.

It started when they drafted Curry.  Awesome pick, but took incompetence by the T-Wolves to end up in that spot.

Then they drafted Klay. Again, great pick, but he was only available because of the incompetence of their fellow lottery mates.

Drafting Draymond.  Kind of just dumb luck here.  They got the perfect role player in a throwaway draft spot.

The incompetence of Steph Curry's agent. Steph ended up on an absolute atrocity of a contract because his agent fucked up badly.

The salary cap spike combined with the fact that the second best player in the world decided to leave OKC to shamelessly ring chase in his prime, simultaneously cutting off the best western conference competition and adding a great player.

The Warriors have great management. They drafted the guys they drafted, and did great finding veterans and rookies on good contracts to make sure they had a good rotation. But the combination of factors above is not replicable, and actually just breaks the competitive balance of the league.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Minnesota is a city? Seriously, the biggest problem is that people just don't know anything about Minneapolis or Minnesota and just assume it's the land of forever winter. Almost everyone who comes here never wants to leave. 

Dude, give it up. It's a clean place, with low crime, it's not expensive, it's got good schools. Great place for middle class white people to raise a family. Probably plenty of jobs. It's got absolute shit weather in the winter, and NBA players typically aren't sitting around in their team's city in the summer when its beautiful. I'm sure there are fun bars, but the club scene is nothing compared to the larger NBA cities. A 26 year old single guy doesn't care that you can get an affordable 3 bedroom house in a good school district. Again, you're not viewing the city through the lens of a young multi-millionaire. You're viewing it through "I live here, my friends here, and we love it!"

1 hour ago, sperry said:

That's not sound logic. You can't just add elite two way players. Melo is a great offensive player, and if you can add him for cheap that's a fantastic fit. Adding a great offensive player helps counter the great offense of the Warriors. And especially with it looking like the Warriors may lose Iguodala and Livingston, their defense is going to come down a notch.

It started when they drafted Curry.  Awesome pick, but took incompetence by the T-Wolves to end up in that spot.

Then they drafted Klay. Again, great pick, but he was only available because of the incompetence of their fellow lottery mates.

Drafting Draymond.  Kind of just dumb luck here.  They got the perfect role player in a throwaway draft spot.

The incompetence of Steph Curry's agent. Steph ended up on an absolute atrocity of a contract because his agent fucked up badly.

The salary cap spike combined with the fact that the second best player in the world decided to leave OKC to shamelessly ring chase in his prime, simultaneously cutting off the best western conference competition and adding a great player.

The Warriors have great management. They drafted the guys they drafted, and did great finding veterans and rookies on good contracts to make sure they had a good rotation. But the combination of factors above is not replicable, and actually just breaks the competitive balance of the league.

Are you living in my brain or something? Fully agree. 

33 minutes ago, sperry said:

All the stuff about how the Warriors constructed their roster is irrelevant. And my logic was perfectly sound. Melo does not address the weaknesses the Cavs have versus the Warriors, and that's the only thing the Cavs should be focused on. They need a 3 and D wing and a better bench. Melo would help with the latter, but he does not address the Cavs fundamental weakness: defense. 

Either way the issue seems moot now. I doubt the Knicks will buy Melo out.

Congrats Relic the Knicks are finally free of Phil.  Too bad they can't get rid of Jimmy D the same way.  Latest rumor around here is he's going to throw lots and lots of money at Ujiri, If so that would actually be a smart move.  Hence why I don't think it's happening but you can dream!

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

All the stuff about how the Warriors constructed their roster is irrelevant. And my logic was perfectly sound. Melo does not address the weaknesses the Cavs have versus the Warriors, and that's the only thing the Cavs should be focused on. They need a 3 and D wing and a better bench. Melo would help with the latter, but he does not address the Cavs fundamental weakness: defense. 

Either way the issue seems moot now. I doubt the Knicks will buy Melo out.

No, it's not irrelevant, because it means it's not replicable.  The Cavs can improve their offense by adding Melo on the cheap. If they can add Melo to play the 4 and flip Love for a wing who is a decent defender, they have improved their team and become more competitive with the Warriors.

51 minutes ago, sperry said:

Dude, give it up. It's a clean place, with low crime, it's not expensive, it's got good schools. Great place for middle class white people to raise a family. Probably plenty of jobs. It's got absolute shit weather in the winter, and NBA players typically aren't sitting around in their team's city in the summer when its beautiful. I'm sure there are fun bars, but the club scene is nothing compared to the larger NBA cities. A 26 year old single guy doesn't care that you can get an affordable 3 bedroom house in a good school district. Again, you're not viewing the city through the lens of a young multi-millionaire. You're viewing it through "I live here, my friends here, and we love it!"

If the club scene is all you care about, yeah, the Twin Cities is not for you. But if you're open to pretty much everything else, it's a home run. Just look at LaVine. We all saw his draft day reaction, he really didn't want to come here. Now he's saying that one of the hardest things about being traded is that he has to leave MN because he fell in love with the state. And that's how most people react when they come here. 

Also, the winters aren't that bad. It was really mild here in Minneapolis. We had next to no snow and it was cold for like 2 weeks. The Twin Cities aren't the same as rural MN, which yes, is a frozen tundra. 

I want to see at least a couple of teams rise up and challenge the Warriors, I just don't see Melo as being a key component towards making that happen. 

I hope the Celts manage to land George and Hayward without losing much. I think that would certainly put them on the right track.

And if the T-wolves can deal Rubio and add a better PG that should put them in a nice spot.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

No, not really. People aren't saying that Melo is bad, just that it's a bad fit because:

Golden State is the best offensive team and a top three defensive team. The Cavs cannot beat them if they keep loading up on offense while continuing to be a bottom third defensive team. Melo is not going to address this.  

Yea, really, . you are missing the point. Melo, plays decent D when not having to be the #1 option, we have evidence of this. He is capable. The Melo can't play D, is overblown, your overblowing it. And, if venture to say a little more offensive firepower would pull the Cavs a lot closer to the Dubs. Because the games I seen, it was a matter of Cavs going cold and Warriors hitting the shots in the last five mins that decided at least 2 games. And Cavs had open shots.

30 minutes ago, sperry said:

No, it's not irrelevant, because it means it's not replicable.  The Cavs can improve their offense by adding Melo on the cheap. If they can add Melo to play the 4 and flip Love for a wing who is a decent defender, they have improved their team and become more competitive with the Warriors.

Other than the curry contract, it by and large can be replicated. You just have to hit on a three or four consecutive draft picks and get a few value contracts. And thankfully, that's just where my team is. 

That said, I agree that if they can flip Love for a wing that can defend, adding Melo makes sense. But absent that it doesn't improve them all that much. And again, I don't think they can get Melo now that Jackson is gone. 

Getting Draymond in the second? Having an elite player willing to leave a strong title contender and leave money on the table to join your already great team? That one has never happened, and is very unlikely to happen again (I don't consider LeBron's Cavs team to be a legit title contender).

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Congrats Relic the Knicks are finally free of Phil.  Too bad they can't get rid of Jimmy D the same way.  Latest rumor around here is he's going to throw lots and lots of money at Ujiri, If so that would actually be a smart move.  Hence why I don't think it's happening but you can dream!

Thank you! I get no joy whatsoever out of being right that Jackson would be a fucking disaster for the Knicks. And it's a damn shame they let him draft the French kid before kicking his dotty old ass out the door.  But at least it's over now and we never have to hear about the triangle offence again. We can start talking about 5 man basketball where 3's aren't considered "cheap points".

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Clippers fire sale is on. 

This could be good for them. This is a rich Free Agent field, and they have Jerry West onboard. I bet they end up spinning straw into gold here. Probably won't happen right away, but if Ballmer is willing to spend the money and they listen to West, they should turn it around quick.

Archived