NBA Draft 2017: Sixers, Celtics and Will LaVar Ball Lose His Shit on National Television Edition

Manhole Eunuchsbane

The Rockets have two Williams on their team, and it isn't clear which one of them got traded.  The Rockets suffered the same problem as the Wizards in the postseason last year, their 7 man rotation got worn down against San Antonio.  If they traded Lou Williams and Beverley, then that problem just got worse (although CP3 is an obvious upgrade over Beverly).  But if they traded Troy Williams and Beverley, then that's fine, because Troy Williams doesn't play.  

On the whole, this is interesting, but I feel like this is a move that will help Houston get ahead of San Antonio, but nowhere close to GSW. 

EDIT:  Looks like it's Troy Williams.  So Houston definitely didn't give up much to get CP3. 

I don't see how two ball dominant guards like CP3 and Harden are able to play effectively together. And while Harden thinks he wants to play with CP3 he's going to realize that having Paul yell at him after every failed defensive rotation gets old, fast.  

I don't understand how this Chris Paul thing isn't tampering. Apparently he told every team he is going to the Rockets.  That in itself is tampering before the July 1st deadline but obviously Houston was talking to him prior which again... tampering.

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

I don't see how two ball dominant guards like CP3 and Harden are able to play effectively together. And while Harden things he wants to play with CP3 he's going to realize that having Paul yell at him after every failed defensive rotation gets old, fast.  

Harden was exhausted carrying the load offensively by the end of that San Antonio series.  Having somebody he can trust to take some of the ballhandling is a luxury he didn't have last year.  He's got a strong incentive to make this work. 

59 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Yea, really, . you are missing the point. Melo, plays decent D when not having to be the #1 option, we have evidence of this. He is capable. The Melo can't play D, is overblown, your overblowing it. And, if venture to say a little more offensive firepower would pull the Cavs a lot closer to the Dubs. Because the games I seen, it was a matter of Cavs going cold and Warriors hitting the shots in the last five mins that decided at least 2 games. And Cavs had open shots.

Decent D isn't enough. The Cavs badly need a really good to great defensive wing. The 2016-17 Cavs were statistically the worst defensive team to ever reach the NBA Finals. Adding Melo absent any other changes doesn't fix this. 

37 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

This could be good for them. This is a rich Free Agent field, and they have Jerry West onboard. I bet they end up spinning straw into gold here. Probably won't happen right away, but if Ballmer is willing to spend the money and they listen to West, they should turn it around quick.

I can't say I agree. This iteration of the Clippers is going to be remembered as a giant failure, and they'll be bad for some time. 

On the plus side, this opens up an avenue for the team to be moved to Seattle. 

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Early report, CP3 just got traded to the Rockets.

Man, saw the rumors about this but always thought it was a weird fit.  Harden led the league in assists last year. Of all of Houston's needs, not sure an elite distributor was one of them. At least he can take some of the scoring load off Harden and provide a lot of the defense Beverly did. I get why they did it - every contender needs to add more stars to keep up with the Warriors - but not sure it'll maximize Chris Paul's ability. 

But, hey, maybe I'm wrong and his presence will unlock new synergies. At least it's more interesting than the Clippers running back the same disappointing team another year. 

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Decent D isn't enough. The Cavs badly need a really good to great defensive wing. The 2016-17 Cavs were statistically the worst defensive team to ever reach the NBA Finals. Adding Melo absent any other changes doesn't fix this. 

True. But, while defense would help, offense could get them where they need to be too. I agree with you, George would be a much better fit. But then you lose Love and his ability to stretch the floor. Maybe Love for George and Melo as a FA.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

EDIT:  Looks like it's Troy Williams.  So Houston definitely didn't give up much to get CP3. 

West just got a great haul for an aging superstar: a great defender (Beverley), a promising young prospect (Sam Dekker), an above-average scorer with a short contract (Lou Williams), and most importantly, a future first-rounder, though Morey somehow was able to place protections on it.

8 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Man, saw the rumors about this but always thought it was a weird fit.  Harden led the league in assists last year. Of all of Houston's needs, not sure an elite distributor was one of them. At least he can take some of the scoring load off Harden and provide a lot of the defense Beverly did. I get why they did it - every contender needs to add more stars to keep up with the Warriors - but not sure it'll maximize Chris Paul's ability. 

But, hey, maybe I'm wrong and his presence will unlock new synergies. At least it's more interesting than the Clippers running back the same disappointing team another year.

A player as good as Paul is going to make any team better.  I'm not too worried about the oncourt "fit".

But it does seem strange that Paul pushed so hard to go to Houston.  There are several teams that would be much more appealing destinations, like San Antonio or Minnesota.  Presumably he wants to get paid and to win a ring, right?  Hard to see that happening in Houston with Trevor Ariza as your third best player. 

12 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

True. But, while defense would help, offense could get them where they need to be too. I agree with you, George would be a much better fit. But then you lose Love and his ability to stretch the floor. Maybe Love for George and Melo as a FA.

No you don't. George has the higher career percentage from 3 (albeit by a tiny margin), and shoots at a higher volume. 

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/georgpa01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/loveke01.html

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

What a terrible fucking trade, for both sides. This makes both sides worse off.

With the year Harden at PG, this is totally confusing to me. I feel like Houston gutted their team, for a PG when they already had the PG situation handled. This "I wanna play with my buddy" shot has gone too far. Houston needed a few more pieces, but Paul was not it.

Just now, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

With the year Harden at PG, this is totally confusing to me. I feel like Houston gutted their team, for a PG when they already had the PG situation handled. This "I wanna play with my buddy" shot has gone too far. Houston needed a few more pieces, but Paul was not it.

It's like, oh James Harden just had one of the best point guard seasons of all time, let's go get a ball dominant PG to play along side him.

Not to mention that Patrick Beverley is one of the most valuable role players in the league right now. That's a guy who can make Steph Curry's life miserable, all while getting in his head. Plus he can shoot 3s and is content being a role player. I'll never forgive him for his cheap shot on Westbrook that cost the Thunder a shot at a title, but I'm a fan of his game for sure.

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No you don't. George has the higher career percentage from 3 (albeit by a tiny margin), and shoots at a higher volume. 

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/georgpa01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/loveke01.html

But, George isn't who would stretch the floor, Melo would. George would add much needed defense and also offense. And, I don't care to see stats on Melo's career 3 point %, as we've already said he shoots and plays much better with better players around him.

I've said it before, I don't care about PER and all the stats you guys throw around here. It means shite to me. I go based off of how I think players would mesh together and how that would improve their game. A lineup of Irving, George, Melo, James and Thompson, imo, would give the Dubs plenty of trouble. Stats aside.

Per NBA.com data, James Harden ranked first in time of possession (8.9 minutes/game) last season while Chris Paul checked in at 7.2 (7th-most). 

Good luck,  fellas. 

This is a GREAT trade for the Clippers,  as they could have lost him for nothing in a few days. I don't like it for Houston,  but it might be a fun experiment? 

Just now, Relic said:

This is a GREAT trade for the Clippers,  as they could have lost him for nothing in a few days. I don't like it for Houston,  but it might be a fun experiment? 

It will revert Harden back to his old self. It makes absolutely no sense. Yes, fun experiment in how wanting to play with your buddy fucks up your game, for sure.

Archived