NBA Draft 2017: Sixers, Celtics and Will LaVar Ball Lose His Shit on National Television Edition

Manhole Eunuchsbane

1 minute ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

It will revert Harden back to his old self. It makes absolutely no sense. Yes, fun experiment in how wanting to play with your buddy fucks up your game, for sure.

Maybe,  but I'll give Mike D'Antoni 50 games with teo amazing point guards before making a final decision.   You also have to figure Houston isn't done making deals.

But yeah,  not the most logical of moves for Houston. 

5 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

It will revert Harden back to his old self. 

Ya'll are gonna keep fucking around with me and turn me back to the old me

4 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

But, George isn't who would stretch the floor, Melo would. George would add much needed defense and also offense. And, I don't care to see stats on Melo's career 3 point %, as we've already said he shoots and plays much better with better players around him.

Well I'm going to give it to you anyways. The dreaded Carmemo Anthony has a lower career 3PT% than Love and George, and his career average is lower than the NBA league average for 2017. Moreover, the league average has been higher than his career average for the last 19 seasons. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Well I'm going to give it to you anyways. The dreaded Carmemo Anthony has a lower career 3PT% than Love and George, and his career average is lower than the NBA league average for 2017. Moreover, the league average has been higher than his career average for the last 19 seasons. 

Now name the best players on his team roster other than him for the last 7 seasons. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Again, when surrounded by better talent and not the 1 option, he lights it up. The proof is there, you're just choosing to ignore and base your opinions on basketballstats.com or whatever site that you adore.

15 minutes ago, Relic said:

This is a GREAT trade for the Clippers,  as they could have lost him for nothing in a few days. I don't like it for Houston,  but it might be a fun experiment? 

I guess that's true that they would have lost him for nothing.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It makes sense for the Clippers, but it's making less and less sense to me for the Rockets. Paul seems like a bad fit and he's probably going to leave after a year. 

Surely he told them he would resign?

Stats have ruined the basketball fandom. Its like you don't watch the games, get a feel of what player are capable of in different circumstances. You just point to stats and think that's all the evidence needed and nothing else. Players play different in different situations and different teammates. Career stats are ok, I guess. But, it does nothing for me in terms of what I feel a player is capable of.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

An overrated Unicorn? 

Keep going. 5 years left. Give us the FULL picture, if you want to ram some random stats down our throats.

The 2012 - 2013 NBA season was the last time Melo played within a real system, on a team that had same idea of what it was doing. They shot a record number of 3's that year and he averaged 38%, which is quite fine. The following year he was pretty hot from downtown, shooting 40%. And then Jackson came and the team turned into some Bizzaro Land 90's NBA team that played no defense.  

7 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Again, when surrounded by better talent and not the 1 option, he lights it up. The proof is there, you're just choosing to ignore and base your opinions on basketballstats.com or whatever site that you adore.

Not really. It's hard to extrapolate how his All-Star and international play would translate to him being on a better team. His All-Star averages are actually kind of bad, and his international averages are better. Seems like a wash to me.

As far as stats vs. watching the games goes, why not both? It's the only way to get a complete picture. And when I watch Melo, what stands out to me is that he is slow. Melo was a great player, but at this point in time he's a fringe All-Star who gets in on name recognition more so than actually ability. He'd be a great 6th man for the Cavs, but I don't think he would be a big net plus if he was a starter. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I can't say I agree. This iteration of the Clippers is going to be remembered as a giant failure, and they'll be bad for some time. 

On the plus side, this opens up an avenue for the team to be moved to Seattle. 

Yeah, it was a failure, but it's high time to move on, right? I don't think another season of this roster was going to result in a better outcome. Time to drop Doc on his ass as well, methinks.

I am looking forward to seeing who plays worse in an elimination game - Harden or Paul. I sense a lot of angry, full-force chest passes back and forth, as each refuses to shoot. 

38 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Anyone who has watched both George and Melo play would know that Melo is the better shooter.  I don't care what the stats say.  On a team where he's not the first option, Melo would be getting open looks more often (probably constantly if he were on the Cavs) and his shooting percentage would be much higher.  

Love is probably a better shooter than Anthony at this point in their careers, but I don't think it's a huge margin.  It seemed like most of Love's looks this year were wide open, too, although admittedly I didn't get league pass this year so I could only watch national Cavs games. 

I haven't posted in the NBA thread in ages due to my disgust with the Bulls and their acceptance of being in NBA Hell: too good enough to be a title contender and not bad enough to be in the draft lottery. I'll get to them in a bit, but I love the CP3 deal for Houston. You CAN have two lead guards/forwards on a team and win a title. Exhibit A is the 2016 Cleveland Cavaliers. I also agree that Houston isn't done yet and Melo would fit better than George would. 

8 minutes ago, Trebla said:

I haven't posted in the NBA thread in ages due to my disgust with the Bulls and their acceptance of being in NBA Hell: too good enough to be a title contender and not bad enough to be in the draft lottery. I'll get to them in a bit, but I love the CP3 deal for Houston. You CAN have two lead guards/forwards on a team and win a title. Exhibit A is the 2016 Cleveland Cavaliers. I also agree that Houston isn't done yet and Melo would fit better than George would. 

I'd say the difference with the Cavs is that Irving's game is really more that of a two-guard than a point guard despite his label, whereas LeBron is more of a pure point guard.  Irving has gotten better at playmaking since joining the NBA, but he still primarily looks for his own shot, which is why I classify him as a SG rather than a PG.

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'd say the difference with the Cavs is that Irving's game is really more that of a two-guard than a point guard despite his label, whereas LeBron is more of a pure point guard.  Irving has gotten better at playmaking since joining the NBA, but he still primarily looks for his own shot, which is why I classify him as a SG rather than a PG.

And I think Harden still primarily looks for his own shot and I still classify his as a SG. 

27 minutes ago, Trebla said:

And I think Harden still primarily looks for his own shot and I still classify his as a SG. 

Eh...Harden was essentially a point guard this past year.  Far more so than Irving was.

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

Eh...Harden was essentially a point guard this past year.  Far more so than Irving was.

Yeah, because Irving had LBJ. Again, I think Harden can be both a lead guard AND play off the ball, especially since it sounds like he and Paul facilitated this trade. He knows who he is going to be playing with and what it means to his own game.

Archived