NBA Draft 2017: Sixers, Celtics and Will LaVar Ball Lose His Shit on National Television Edition

Manhole Eunuchsbane

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think having Melo would create just as many mismatches for the Warriors as it would for the Cavs defensively.  As I've mentioned in the past, if you're running a line-up of Kyrie/LeBron/Melo/Love, Golden State can't hide Curry on anyone.  Curry can't guard any of those four and they could pick him apart with screens even worse than they already can.  

And honestly, forcing Curry to actually work on defense is, I think, the key to beating the Warriors.  It's just that most teams don't have enough great players to do that.  Most teams have at least one weak link at the 1-3.

It could, but I think it all balances out in the end which still gives the Warriors the advantage. 

As far as the key to beating the Warriors goes, I say the best route is to give them the James Harden treatment. 

A line-up of Kyrie, LeBron, Melo and Love gets eviscerated by GS. Having that many scorers seems nice on paper, but you only have one ball and LeBron is the only one with a 50% or higher FG%. The way I see it, if you get Melo (who is 33, btw) in that line-up and actually have significant expectations of him, you are just making the same mistakes the Knicks made for years, which is equating high scoring numbers with actually building a solid team.

The team could work.

IF Melo and Love make some effort on defense

IF all 4 of them can consistently knock down shots

IF all of them make efforts to grab rebounds

I quite frankly have very little faith of those 4 doing any of those 3 things consistently. Get a guy who helps you out defensively and can lock down Curry, Durant or Klay. Somebody who can help you out with rebounding and dish out. Get that guy who can do all the unglamorous things.

11 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

A line-up of Kyrie, LeBron, Melo and Love gets eviscerated by GS. Having that many scorers seems nice on paper, but you only have one ball and LeBron is the only one with a 50% or higher FG%. The way I see it, if you get Melo (who is 33, btw) in that line-up and actually have significant expectations of him, you are just making the same mistakes the Knicks made for years, which is equating high scoring numbers with actually building a solid team.

The team could work.

IF Melo and Love make some effort on defense

IF all 4 of them can consistently knock down shots

IF all of them make efforts to grab rebounds

I quite frankly have very little faith of those 4 doing any of those 3 things consistently. Get a guy who helps you out defensively and can lock down Curry, Durant or Klay. Somebody who can help you out with rebounding and dish out. Get that guy who can do all the unglamorous things.

Well, I think the Cavs would obviously love to have Paul George, but there's no guarantee they can get him.  Conversely, they'd basically be getting Melo for free.

37 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think having Melo would create just as many mismatches for the Warriors as it would for the Cavs defensively.  As I've mentioned in the past, if you're running a line-up of Kyrie/LeBron/Melo/Love, Golden State can't hide Curry on anyone.  Curry can't guard any of those four and they could pick him apart with screens even worse than they already can.  

And honestly, forcing Curry to actually work on defense is, I think, the key to beating the Warriors.  It's just that most teams don't have enough great players to do that.  Most teams have at least one weak link at the 1-3.

I agree that making Curry work on D is a really good angle. That said, I think the Cavs managed that the last time around (seems he was on Kyrie more often than not) and despite Kyrie having a very good series, the Warriors still closed them out rather easily.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Well, I think the Cavs would obviously love to have Paul George, but there's no guarantee they can get him.  Conversely, they'd basically be getting Melo for free.

Yeah, but I am saying (and you don't have to agree with me here) that Melo is not the kind of player to actually help them achieve their goal. There are plenty of teams that could benefit from having him, but I don't think the Cavs are one of them. So yes, they could basically get him for free, im saying he is not worth a damn to the Cavs.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I agree that making Curry work on D is a really good angle. That said, I think the Cavs managed that the last time around (seems he was on Kyrie more often than not) and despite Kyrie having a very good series, the Warriors still closed them out rather easily.

Well, a big issue the Cavs had in the Finals was that the Warriors role-players hit their open shots where the Cavs role-players did not.  I think most of us would agree that Melo would be a hell of a lot more likely to show up and hit shots in the Finals than some of the guys on the Cavs bench.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You're cruel. Why not just suggest that Dolan run the team?

Hinkie was phenomenal. The Sixers are better set up than anyone outside of Minnesota to win in 5 years, and they actually did it intelligently, not bumbled into it.

The gap between the Dubs and Cavs is being overblown here. Cavs choked away game 3, which would have ended up with the series 2-2. Again, the difference was the bench and the Dubs hitting shots in the last 5 mins and the Cavs going cold. Cavs are a good player away from being very close to the Dubs.

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

The gap between the Dubs and Cavs is being overblown here. Cavs choked away game 3, which would have ended up with the series 2-2. Again, the difference was the bench and the Dubs hitting shots in the last 5 mins and the Cavs going cold. Cavs are a good player away from being very close to the Dubs.

You could flip that around and say that the problem was that the Cavs could not slow down GS' offense.

6 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

You could flip that around and say that the problem was that the Cavs could not slow down GS' offense.

I think it was a bit of both, honestly.  The Cavs' defense left a lot to be desired, but their role players just couldn't hit their open shots while guys like Iguodala did, and that was their ultimate undoing.  

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

You have a point that is valid and I won't argue. My point is the gap between the two isn't is wide as many like to believe.

I think if Iguodala leaves to chase more money, that would honestly help close the gap quite a bit.  He always plays well against the Cavs.  

11 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

you are just making the same mistakes the Knicks made for years, which is equating high scoring numbers with actually building a solid team.

errrr, that's not the mistake the Knicks have been making for years. Just FYI. 

13 hours ago, sperry said:

Hinkie was phenomenal. The Sixers are better set up than anyone outside of Minnesota to win in 5 years, and they actually did it intelligently, not bumbled into it.

I really do agree with this.

However, I will also admit that I was being cruel like Tywin accused me of.  

Hinkie put Philly in a place to finally have the potential to succeed.  But in the process of doing it, the league got so angry they forced Philly to get rid of him and bring in Colangelo.  To see the media meltdown when Hinkie's process is in full effect in New York would be glorious to behold.  However, does anyone here think any other process would work in New York right now?  A complete slash and burn philosophy is needed.  Buyout Carmelo.  Talk to KP and see if he's onboard for a longterm rebuild, if not, move him for valuable draft assets.  Do lots of trades with the traditionally terrible teams like the Kings.  Build back up organically.

That's what has to be done, but is there anyone with the courage to do it in New York?

13 hours ago, sperry said:

The process seems to have worked out in the end, but that wasn't the point of @Rhom's comment. He just wants the Knicks to suffer. 

ETA: And that's what I get for replying to a notification without first reading the thread.

Just heard that the Cavs came really close to trading Kyrie in a three team trade that would have brought in George and Eric Bledsoe. It fell through because LeBron refused to tell Gilbert if he was going to make a long term commitment to Cleveland. 

Anyways, free agency starts pretty soon. Hopefully they'll be some moves that makes another team or two somewhat more competitive against the Dubs. If the Wolves can get Lowry on a value contract (unlikely), they would be a force over the next few seasons. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just heard that the Cavs came really close to trading Kyrie in a three team trade that would have brought in George and Eric Bledsoe. It fell through because LeBron refused to tell Gilbert if he was going to make a long term commitment to Cleveland. 

Anyways, free agency starts pretty soon. Hopefully they'll be some moves that makes another team or two somewhat more competitive against the Dubs. If the Wolves can get Lowry on a value contract (unlikely), they would be a force over the next few seasons. 

Rubio is gone....how do you feel about that? Lowry could be affordable....

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19777526/minnesota-timberwolves-trading-ricky-rubio-utah-jazz

Archived