Manhole Eunuchsbane

NBA Draft 2017: Sixers, Celtics and Will LaVar Ball Lose His Shit on National Television Edition

151 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, sperry said:

Buying picks should not be a thing, especially for teams that are over the cap.

Teams shouldn't be allowed to just straight up sell them, I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Especially mother fucking re-building teams that could absolutely use a solid guy like Bell. Say, the Bulls. Instead we'll use the 3.5 to buy out Rondo or something?! Send the FO on a nice booze cruise?! 

I have more of a headache from that completely dreadful job (and then insultingly snide press conference) Forman and Paxson did than my hangover. My Bulls fandom is basically on hold until 2019 or so, while I watch other, more engaging teams in the meantime. The Bulls forum I read has three guys trying to defend the night, and about 150 raging over it, and collectively jumping ship to the Wolves, Bucks, Suns, etc. I've suffered enough bullshit from this front office. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sperry said:

Also, the Kings murdered this draft. They got a guy with a legitimate chance to be the best player in the draft with the #5 pick (and a guy who is an athletic freak, high character kid, and has a very high floor), they got Justin Jackson at 15, the former #1 HS prospect at 20, and the Naismith winner in the second round.

 

That is an incredible haul.

Couldn't disagree more. Justin Jackson is widely considered to be a limited role player (and likely from the bench) and the guy they got at #20 is coming off of 2 knee surgeries. I trade both of those guys for Monk 8 days a week and twice on Sunday. Kings gonna King.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Couldn't disagree more. Justin Jackson is widely considered to be a limited role player (and likely from the bench) and the guy they got at #20 is coming off of 2 knee surgeries. I trade both of those guys for Monk 8 days a week and twice on Sunday. Kings gonna King.

 

Monk plays the same position as Buddy Hield, and those two can't play together because neither can play the point and neither can guard bigger wings. Kings were never going to draft Monk, nor should they have. Kings murdered this draft, and that consensus is almost universal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sperry said:

Monk plays the same position as Buddy Hield, and those two can't play together because neither can play the point and neither can guard bigger wings. Kings were never going to draft Monk, nor should they have. Kings murdered this draft, and that consensus is almost universal.

Getting Fox at #5 was a steal, no doubt. Outside of that, I think they overthought it. Only time will truly tell, but I think Monk is going to be a better player than the rest of their picks collectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumors circulating that the Celtics could still end up with both Heyward and George which, that's when shit gets interesting. You pretty much can't have enough very good, two way swing men in today's NBA. Though fitting both under the now smaller cap will be tricky. It'd make the chances my Wiz ever make the Conference Finals that much slimmer but I still want to see it just from a pure basketball standpoint. 

Still if they do pull that off, makes the Tatum pick weirder, as where do you play him in crunch time? Would rather plug in Fultz as a 2 guard in that situation. Most likely he's just insurance in the likely event they only get one of Heyward or George. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Rumors circulating that the Celtics could still end up with both Heyward and George which, that's when shit gets interesting. You pretty much can't have enough very good, two way swing men in today's NBA. Though fitting both under the now smaller cap will be tricky. It'd make the chances my Wiz ever make the Conference Finals that much slimmer but I still want to see it just from a pure basketball standpoint. 

Still if they do pull that off, makes the Tatum pick weirder, as where do you play him in crunch time? Would rather plug in Fultz as a 2 guard in that situation. Most likely he's just insurance in the likely event they only get one of Heyward or George. 

Or Tatum is part of the package to get George? I agree, it doesn't make a lot of sense if Hayward and George are the goal.

Simmons thinks the Celts got distracted by the whole George thing on draft day, and that they should've made a play for Butler, considering how cheaply he was gotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a comment that was pure gold in a deadspin comment thread...

Man, I haven’t seen a Chicago team fuck up a draft-day trade this badly since...two months ago.

 
Edited by Manhole Eunuchsbane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Or Tatum is part of the package to get George? I agree, it doesn't make a lot of sense if Hayward and George are the goal.

Simmons thinks the Celts got distracted by the whole George thing on draft day, and that they should've made a play for Butler, considering how cheaply he was gotten.

Yeah, could be.

And yes, it's crazy to me that was the winning offer to snag Butler. But in fairness, maybe Chicago got nervous that another GM would get fired while they were on the line with them, so they felt they had to act now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Yeah, could be.

And yes, it's crazy to me that was the winning offer to snag Butler. But in fairness, maybe Chicago got nervous that another GM would get fired while they were on the line with them, so they felt they had to act now. 

What is strangest about the Chicago trade is there was no pressure to make that deal right now.  Butler is under contract through 2019.  Next year's draft is supposed to have some talent in it.  Why sell now for such a crappy offer when they could just wait until after the draft?  Or during the season?  Or next offseason?  They had far more leverage over Butler than Indiana does with George, and yet they sold for pennies on the dollar. 

Edited by Maithanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

What is strangest about the Chicago trade is there was no pressure to make that deal right now.  Butler is under contract through 2019.  Next year's draft is supposed to have some talent in it.  Why sell now for such a crappy offer when they could just wait until after the draft?  Or during the season?  Or next offseason?  They had far more leverage over Butler than Indiana does with George, and yet they sold for pennies on the dollar. 

Yes the way the everything went down, followed by the Bulls selling their 2nd round pick, felt like Forman/Paxson's only concern was being able to start their summer break on time and making sure it will not be interrupted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now