NBA Draft 2017: Sixers, Celtics and Will LaVar Ball Lose His Shit on National Television Edition

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Especially mother fucking re-building teams that could absolutely use a solid guy like Bell. Say, the Bulls. Instead we'll use the 3.5 to buy out Rondo or something?! Send the FO on a nice booze cruise?! 

I have more of a headache from that completely dreadful job (and then insultingly snide press conference) Forman and Paxson did than my hangover. My Bulls fandom is basically on hold until 2019 or so, while I watch other, more engaging teams in the meantime. The Bulls forum I read has three guys trying to defend the night, and about 150 raging over it, and collectively jumping ship to the Wolves, Bucks, Suns, etc. I've suffered enough bullshit from this front office. 

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Also, the Kings murdered this draft. They got a guy with a legitimate chance to be the best player in the draft with the #5 pick (and a guy who is an athletic freak, high character kid, and has a very high floor), they got Justin Jackson at 15, the former #1 HS prospect at 20, and the Naismith winner in the second round.

That is an incredible haul.

Couldn't disagree more. Justin Jackson is widely considered to be a limited role player (and likely from the bench) and the guy they got at #20 is coming off of 2 knee surgeries. I trade both of those guys for Monk 8 days a week and twice on Sunday. Kings gonna King.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Couldn't disagree more. Justin Jackson is widely considered to be a limited role player (and likely from the bench) and the guy they got at #20 is coming off of 2 knee surgeries. I trade both of those guys for Monk 8 days a week and twice on Sunday. Kings gonna King.

Monk plays the same position as Buddy Hield, and those two can't play together because neither can play the point and neither can guard bigger wings. Kings were never going to draft Monk, nor should they have. Kings murdered this draft, and that consensus is almost universal.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

Monk plays the same position as Buddy Hield, and those two can't play together because neither can play the point and neither can guard bigger wings. Kings were never going to draft Monk, nor should they have. Kings murdered this draft, and that consensus is almost universal.

Getting Fox at #5 was a steal, no doubt. Outside of that, I think they overthought it. Only time will truly tell, but I think Monk is going to be a better player than the rest of their picks collectively.

Rumors circulating that the Celtics could still end up with both Heyward and George which, that's when shit gets interesting. You pretty much can't have enough very good, two way swing men in today's NBA. Though fitting both under the now smaller cap will be tricky. It'd make the chances my Wiz ever make the Conference Finals that much slimmer but I still want to see it just from a pure basketball standpoint. 

Still if they do pull that off, makes the Tatum pick weirder, as where do you play him in crunch time? Would rather plug in Fultz as a 2 guard in that situation. Most likely he's just insurance in the likely event they only get one of Heyward or George. 

3 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Rumors circulating that the Celtics could still end up with both Heyward and George which, that's when shit gets interesting. You pretty much can't have enough very good, two way swing men in today's NBA. Though fitting both under the now smaller cap will be tricky. It'd make the chances my Wiz ever make the Conference Finals that much slimmer but I still want to see it just from a pure basketball standpoint. 

Still if they do pull that off, makes the Tatum pick weirder, as where do you play him in crunch time? Would rather plug in Fultz as a 2 guard in that situation. Most likely he's just insurance in the likely event they only get one of Heyward or George. 

Or Tatum is part of the package to get George? I agree, it doesn't make a lot of sense if Hayward and George are the goal.

Simmons thinks the Celts got distracted by the whole George thing on draft day, and that they should've made a play for Butler, considering how cheaply he was gotten.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Or Tatum is part of the package to get George? I agree, it doesn't make a lot of sense if Hayward and George are the goal.

Simmons thinks the Celts got distracted by the whole George thing on draft day, and that they should've made a play for Butler, considering how cheaply he was gotten.

Yeah, could be.

And yes, it's crazy to me that was the winning offer to snag Butler. But in fairness, maybe Chicago got nervous that another GM would get fired while they were on the line with them, so they felt they had to act now. 

6 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Yeah, could be.

And yes, it's crazy to me that was the winning offer to snag Butler. But in fairness, maybe Chicago got nervous that another GM would get fired while they were on the line with them, so they felt they had to act now. 

What is strangest about the Chicago trade is there was no pressure to make that deal right now.  Butler is under contract through 2019.  Next year's draft is supposed to have some talent in it.  Why sell now for such a crappy offer when they could just wait until after the draft?  Or during the season?  Or next offseason?  They had far more leverage over Butler than Indiana does with George, and yet they sold for pennies on the dollar. 

18 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

What is strangest about the Chicago trade is there was no pressure to make that deal right now.  Butler is under contract through 2019.  Next year's draft is supposed to have some talent in it.  Why sell now for such a crappy offer when they could just wait until after the draft?  Or during the season?  Or next offseason?  They had far more leverage over Butler than Indiana does with George, and yet they sold for pennies on the dollar. 

Yes the way the everything went down, followed by the Bulls selling their 2nd round pick, felt like Forman/Paxson's only concern was being able to start their summer break on time and making sure it will not be interrupted. 

33 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Bulls...one must wonder what the hell is going on in that front office. Atrocious is the only word that comes to mind.

It's pretty obvious they weren't willing to pay Butler the DPE he likely would have been eligible for when his contract is up.  The Bulls have long been a notoriously cheap front office, and there was no way they were giving Butler 240 million dollars of guaranteed money.  And if they refused to pay him that, he would have bolted on principle, so they were forced to deal him.  

This is why the story of Butler changing his mind about playing elsewhere was always ridiculous and clearly about the money (and I don't blame him for that...240 million is an absurd amount of money).  The only reason Butler wanted to stay in Chicago was the hope that Chicago would pony up and give him his DPE, but they were never going to do that, and so now he's playing for the Wolves.

I have to think they could have gotten a better deal, though.  Then again, I don't really value LaVine or Dunn all that much, and I didn't follow the draft enough to know if the guy they picked with the Wolves pick was any good (not much reason to follow the draft when your team has no picks).

16 minutes ago, briantw said:

I have to think they could have gotten a better deal, though.  Then again, I don't really value LaVine or Dunn all that much, and I didn't follow the draft enough to know if the guy they picked with the Wolves pick was any good (not much reason to follow the draft when your team has no picks).

He's a 7 footer who can shoot the 3, but apparently not board or play defense worth a lick. Kind of an intriguing project, I guess?

15 minutes ago, briantw said:

It's pretty obvious they weren't willing to pay Butler the DPE he likely would have been eligible for when his contract is up.  The Bulls have long been a notoriously cheap front office, and there was no way they were giving Butler 240 million dollars of guaranteed money.  And if they refused to pay him that, he would have bolted on principle, so they were forced to deal him.  

What's particularly ridiculous is the Bulls have arguably the biggest financial advantage over any team in the league. They have the 3rd largest market all to themselves. And the teams who play in the two larger markets each need to share it with another team. What possible reason do they have not to spend the going freight on a star? 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He's a 7 footer who can shoot the 3, but apparently not board or play defense worth a lick. Kind of an intriguing project, I guess?

Everything breaks just right and he could be Kelly Olynyk. 

16 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Everything breaks just right and he could be Kelly Olynyk. 

Yeah, it doesn't look good. And the frosting on the cake for Chicago, they then dealt what looks to be a damn good defender to Golden State for a crate of circus peanuts and a signed Draymond Green rookie card with a foil border.

28 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So he's like a taller, shitty Kevin Love?

23 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

What's particularly ridiculous is the Bulls have arguably the biggest financial advantage over any team in the league. They have the 3rd largest market all to themselves. And the teams who play in the two larger markets each need to share it with another team. What possible reason do they have not to spend the going freight on a star? 

Yeah, but owners are who they are.  Some of them are more than willing to spend whatever it takes (Dan Gilbert, Paul Allen).  Some are obscenely rich but will pinch pennies and don't like paying the luxury tax (Jerry Reinsdorf, Micky Arison).  Some are less rich (still obscenely rich by our standards, but not by NBA owner standards) and perhaps more understandably cheap (Clay Bennett, who is worth around 400 million...everyone else I listed is a billionaire).  

A lot of owners just refuse to pay the luxury tax regardless of their team quality.

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Oh, I sooooo like what the T-Wolves have done. Rubio, Butler, Wiggins and KAT. They will be a contender, no doubt in my mind.

Bulls...one must wonder what the hell is going on in that front office. Atrocious is the only word that comes to mind.

Rubio may still be on the move. This team still has one huge problem: three point shooting. 

24 minutes ago, briantw said:

So he's like a taller, shitty Kevin Love?

More like Ryan Anderson. Love does three things really well. Anderson is just a tall guy with range and that's all this kid is. 

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Rubio may still be on the move. This team still has one huge problem: three point shooting. 

More like Ryan Anderson. Love does three things really well. Anderson is just a tall guy with range and that's all this kid is. 

Rubio would be great on a team like the Cavs that have tons of three point shooting but could use some playmaking off the bench.

As for the Love comparison, that's why I threw in the word shitty.  :lol:

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

Rubio would be great on a team like the Cavs that have tons of three point shooting but could use some playmaking off the bench.

As for the Love comparison, that's why I threw in the word shitty.  :lol:

Kyrie for Rubio? Deal. 

Archived