Plenary powers of Lords Paramount and King.

Wolf of The Wall

6 minutes ago, TMIFairy said:

No, not realistic. But that's what GRRM gave us :)

I believe I read somewhere that GRRM expressed regret at not splitting the nobility further. I'd bet good money on that - with hindsight - he'd change more than one thing in the first book.

Sure, that was my entire point. And he is actually messing around with what he has established earlier on by introducing new titles and giving new houses much more fancy titles than the houses he introduced early. Just look at the string of the titles Lord Manderly uses or the titles the Hightowers of Oldtown get in the appendix of AFfC.

1 hour ago, TMIFairy said:

No, not realistic. But that's what GRRM gave us :)

I believe I read somewhere that GRRM expressed regret at not splitting the nobility further. I'd bet good money on that - with hindsight - he'd change more than one thing in the first book.

So Spake Martin:

The number of titles of medieval nobility multiplied over times, as the feudal system became more complex and the social structure more layered, with various degrees of precedence, etc. In the earlier periods -- say, England around the time of Henry I and William II Rufus -- all those different titles did not exist. I prefered the simplicity of those times. In hindsight, I probably should have added a least one more title to differentiate the great houses from their vassals, but I am glad I stayed clear of using the whole roster of noble stylings.

7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Now, this isn't the case in Westeros. In Westeros, the great lords of the Realm are the only lords who only have one liege lord in the king. All the others have other lordly liege lords as well as responsibilities to the king.

Not quite. A position shared by Darklyns, Hayfords, Stokeworths, Crabbs...

Archived