What do you think the 5 spinoffs should be?

Agent 326

On 7/15/2017 at 9:14 PM, snow is the man said:

I have a hard time believing there will be five. But I hope they do something after this series ends. Like a decade after this series left off.

Their plan is to get 5 going, make some pilots and narrow it down. They're hoping 1 is good enough I go ahead with...I think the interview is posted in watchers on the wall

I don't wanna see RR because it'd be pointless. All you'd be watching it for is the battles because everything else that is notable from that is already being revealed in the main series.

They literally haven't mention the Blackfyre's ONCE in the series which is a damn shame because the stuff surrounding the Blackfyre is the shit i'm most interested in (plus Faegon). So obviously the Blackfyre Rebellions would be my #1 choice.

On 6/20/2017 at 3:16 AM, Agent 326 said:

Just remember that things like Dunk and Egg, and Robert's Rebellion aren't valid options because they have been confirmed as not being the prequels.

My personal choices would be

Oberyn's life before ASOIAF/ GOT

The Andal Invasion of Westeros

The Blackfyre Rebellions

An adventure tale involving a character rooming the world and showing us some of the wonders of Planetos

And holy fuck am I scraping the bottom of the barrel, Seeing things from anti-Valyrians. Yes Targaryens being the villains.

wait is it definetly gonna be a prequel and not a sequel

1. Dance of the Dragons (of course, the dragon budget would hardly ever be enough, which makes filming it a bit problematic)

2. First Blackfyre Rebellion

3. Dunk & Egg

4. Something like Dunk & Egg, but with new characters in a different time

5. Maybe something during the original long night, perhaps.

On 26.6.2017 at 11:40 AM, RhaenysB said:

They confirmed they aren't doing Robert's Rebellion (god knows why not)

Martin said the events of Robert's Rebellion are just the prelude to asoiaf, so not a story that stands on its own and deserves to be filmed. You already know the key plot points, who's going to survive and all that. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2017 at 5:21 PM, snow is the man said:

will the same people who make game of thrones make this new series.

Each of the shows are being pitched by different people, and most likely whoever's pilot gets chosen will be the showrunner. Beyond that:

• GRRM: Will almost certainly be an executive producer, but I'd assume in no more central a capacity than he has been for GoT.
  • D&D: Likely not involved at all. They apparently got annoyed at HBO just for implying that they'll be consulting producers without asking. Plus, they're busy with Confederate.
  • Bryan Cogman: I could see him taking the consulting producer role they apparently wanted D&D to do, unless one of the his screenplays gets out of development hell.
  • Carolyn Strauss: She's the industry-side exec (being a former HBO President helps there…), and I think she's one of the people involved in planning the successor shows, so she'll probably be involved in a similar capacity.
  • Other execs: I don't know much about them.
  • Other writers: They're just writers. Showrunners, being writers themselves, care about writers, but nobody else in Hollywood does, so they can just hire whoever they like. If the new showrunner likes, say, Dave Hill, he'll be hired, otherwise not.
  • Design staff: Set and costume designers and the like may have some continuity, because part of the goal is to reuse some of that expensive stuff they created for GoT.
  • Steve the intern: I'd like to believe he'll finally get his long-deserved promotion to staff writer or continuity advisor or script editor or something, but poor Steve will probably have to keep his day job as a waiter.

If it were up to me, I'd make an anthology series about the Century of Blood. Probably called that. Each season takes place in a different location and a different time. It might be worth doing them out of chronological order, if only so that you can wait on the big Volantene War until you know you've got the viewership to justify the budget that would require. Anyway, some ideas:

1. The Fall of Sarnor. Political intrigue between the Sarnori cities. Of course it ends with the Dothraki killing everyone.
  2. The 3000. Starts off with just life in Qohor, but rumors of the Dothraki arrive, and it ends with the story Jorah told, of one Qohorik sending an envoy to buy 3000 Unsullied, who manage to turn aside the khalasar after the native Qohorik army and two companies of sellswords fail.
  3. The First Daughter. Volantene court intrigue, ending in the Tigers taking control and launching a war of conquest against the other daughters of Valyria.
  4. The First Daughter, Part 2. The big war, including all but one of the Free CIties, plus Argilac Durrandon and even Aegon I on Balerion.
  5. The Three Daughters. Lys, Myr, and Tyrosh stop their infighting and unite under the Triarchy. All kinds of fun interwoven stories about pirates, the Black Swan courtesan, etc., with lots of connections to Westeros.
  6. Gogossos. A former Valyrian penal colony off the Sothyros coast has risen in power since the Doom through slavery and sorcery, blood magic and bestiality. It all ends when a plague that starts with the slave pits ends up killing 90% of the population. I'm not sure what the story is here, but there has to be one.
  7. Lyseni Spring. Mainly the story of Lysandro Rogare. The Rogare Bank rises to eclipse even the Iron Bank of Braavos, until Lysandro Rogare and his brother die within a day of each other. This one connects up with the Dance of the Dragons and Aegon III's regency (and also with the Martell dynasty story, but I'm guessing HBO wants to stay away from Dorne).
  8. The Rhoyne: Qohor and Norvos still have an uneasy alliance since the big Volantene War, even though each believes the other city to be full of disgusting heretics. Anyway, they decide to work together to reclaim the central Rhoyne, and the story is the sailors of that mission. Driving the Volantenes out of Dagger Lake goes well, but something (we have no idea what) obviously happened after that, because by the time of ASoIaF the whole area north of there is full of evil magic mists, pirate bases, and stone men colonies.

ETA: I realize I've got nothing set in Braavos here, which seems like the main thing HBO (and many viewers) want to see more of. But it seems like Braavos wasn't directly touched by anything, they just sent ships and money and occasionally men abroad to help other people fight Volantis, Aegon, the Triarchy, etc.

On 6/21/2017 at 10:07 PM, Sand11751 said:

Top of my wishlist is the Dance of Dragons, followed closely by Aegon's conquest. I'm also curious about Valyria and the rest of the dragon lords before the doom. Then Nymeria and her ships, and lastly, events leading up to Robert's Rebellion before the battle of the Trident. All goes downhill after that, so I'm less curious about it as a whole, but many of the mysteries would be explored in depth.

Same for me. The sheer number of flimable moments in 'The Princess and The Queen' work in its favour for being considered as an adaptation. Prince Daemon would make a fascinating central character for a shorter show. Perhaps one or two seasons.

19 hours ago, snow is the man said:

well that sucks

How so? There probably won't be much to do with the story after the show is done. It's hugely Anti-war, fuedalism, slavery and things like feminism is good and religion is nuts. Which almost certainly means that there will not be an interesting story to tell after. If they have to do only one it I prefer the Dunk & Egg, just not Dunk & Egg because there isn't enough source material (so far) and it would be riddled with spoilers for us book readers who also read Dunk & Egg.

2 hours ago, Agent 326 said:

How so? There probably won't be much to do with the story after the show is done. It's hugely Anti-war, fuedalism, slavery and things like feminism is good and religion is nuts. Which almost certainly means that there will not be an interesting story to tell after. If they have to do only one it I prefer the Dunk & Egg, just not Dunk & Egg because there isn't enough source material (so far) and it would be riddled with spoilers for us book readers who also read Dunk & Egg.

the whole point of game of thrones is that no matter what happens stuff goes to s*** eventually. Also you think that stuff couldn't make a comeback. Who is there to enforce these things in the free cities when it comes to slavery and religion isn't going anywhere and in terms of feminism we don't even really know if the women characters will be alive?

22 hours ago, falcotron said:

If it were up to me, I'd make an anthology series about the Century of Blood. Probably called that. Each season takes place in a different location and a different time. It might be worth doing them out of chronological order, if only so that you can wait on the big Volantene War until you know you've got the viewership to justify the budget that would require. Anyway, some ideas:

1. The Fall of Sarnor. Political intrigue between the Sarnori cities. Of course it ends with the Dothraki killing everyone.
  2. The 3000. Starts off with just life in Qohor, but rumors of the Dothraki arrive, and it ends with the story Jorah told, of one Qohorik sending an envoy to buy 3000 Unsullied, who manage to turn aside the khalasar after the native Qohorik army and two companies of sellswords fail.
  3. The First Daughter. Volantene court intrigue, ending in the Tigers taking control and launching a war of conquest against the other daughters of Valyria.
  4. The First Daughter, Part 2. The big war, including all but one of the Free CIties, plus Argilac Durrandon and even Aegon I on Balerion.
  5. The Three Daughters. Lys, Myr, and Tyrosh stop their infighting and unite under the Triarchy. All kinds of fun interwoven stories about pirates, the Black Swan courtesan, etc., with lots of connections to Westeros.
  6. Gogossos. A former Valyrian penal colony off the Sothyros coast has risen in power since the Doom through slavery and sorcery, blood magic and bestiality. It all ends when a plague that starts with the slave pits ends up killing 90% of the population. I'm not sure what the story is here, but there has to be one.
  7. Lyseni Spring. Mainly the story of Lysandro Rogare. The Rogare Bank rises to eclipse even the Iron Bank of Braavos, until Lysandro Rogare and his brother die within a day of each other. This one connects up with the Dance of the Dragons and Aegon III's regency (and also with the Martell dynasty story, but I'm guessing HBO wants to stay away from Dorne).
  8. The Rhoyne: Qohor and Norvos still have an uneasy alliance since the big Volantene War, even though each believes the other city to be full of disgusting heretics. Anyway, they decide to work together to reclaim the central Rhoyne, and the story is the sailors of that mission. Driving the Volantenes out of Dagger Lake goes well, but something (we have no idea what) obviously happened after that, because by the time of ASoIaF the whole area north of there is full of evil magic mists, pirate bases, and stone men colonies.

ETA: I realize I've got nothing set in Braavos here, which seems like the main thing HBO (and many viewers) want to see more of. But it seems like Braavos wasn't directly touched by anything, they just sent ships and money and occasionally men abroad to help other people fight Volantis, Aegon, the Triarchy, etc.

Remember, these aren't miniserieses. They have to be a show that can go on.

42 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

the whole point of game of thrones is that no matter what happens stuff goes to s*** eventually. Also you think that stuff couldn't make a comeback. Who is there to enforce these things in the free cities when it comes to slavery and religion isn't going anywhere and in terms of feminism we don't even really know if the women characters will be alive?

... Please rewatch and reread (if you are a book reader, or if not read the books) this entire series. Slavery just took a huge nose dive (though yes it could very well be that Daario and his gang are fucked at this point and slavery is a thing again). And I never said anything about enforcing religion. Dany and Arya are the ones I have my money on making it out alive. Afterall in his orignal vision they along with Jon, Tyrion and Bran where going to be the 5 unkillable characters (though it may be that at this point he has a wheel of death on the wall and he spins it whenever he feels as though someone needs to die). And yes there likely will be conflicts, but they then most likely won't ever get resolved (warring in the Disputed Lands, Bravos vs. Volantis and Pentos, slavers and Summer Islanders, etc;) but what they want is something that will end.

9 minutes ago, Agent 326 said:

Remember, these aren't miniserieses. They have to be a show that can go on.

... Please rewatch and reread (if you are a book reader, or if not read the books) this entire series. Slavery just took a huge nose dive (though yes it could very well be that Daario and his gang are fucked at this point and slavery is a thing again). And I never said anything about enforcing religion. Dany and Arya are the ones I have my money on making it out alive. Afterall in his orignal vision they along with Jon, Tyrion and Bran where going to be the 5 unkillable characters (though it may be that at this point he has a wheel of death on the wall and he spins it whenever he feels as though someone needs to die). And yes there likely will be conflicts, but they then most likely won't ever get resolved (warring in the Disputed Lands, Bravos vs. Volantis and Pentos, slavers and Summer Islanders, etc;) but what they want is something that will end.

I meant you were talking about the themes to the story. Like the messaging they had. Also they wouldn't need to have it be a giant scope again like they did previously but could do a smaller story with a smaller cast like the duncan and egg series that would let us see what happens after. Because they could easily have it that after dany died or whoever is in charge dies they have a civil war or it could just be a small group trying to navigate this new world they built.

11 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

I meant you were talking about the themes to the story. Like the messaging they had. Also they wouldn't need to have it be a giant scope again like they did previously but could do a smaller story with a smaller cast like the duncan and egg series that would let us see what happens after. Because they could easily have it that after dany died or whoever is in charge dies they have a civil war or it could just be a small group trying to navigate this new world they built.

Admit it though, it would be really unsatisfying to see the world create by our favorite characters to just go away after a few years.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Wyl of Wyl said:

I get the feeling nobody involved - including GRRM - wants a show where there is too much written down already.

He said he didn't want to be overcome again by the show. So no Dunk & Egg. He is busy writing the first part of Fire and Blood. But it seems easier going than TWoW. Basically, most is already written in the WoIaF. So my bet would be the Targaryen's presence in Westeros, from Aegon's conquest to the Dance of Dragons.

Alternatives, The Doom of Valyria, something from the Age of Heros or Dawn, or the adventures of Colloquo Votar, who traveled east and visited the lands of the Jade Sea.

Archived