Was Daenerys impregnated by Daario?

Guilherme Rubira

I don't know if this topic was discussed before, but in my latest re-read the following excerpt got my atention:

"For a moment she did not realize what it was. The world had just begun to lighten, and the tall grass rustled softly in the wind. No, please, let me sleep some more. I’m so tired. She tried to burrow back beneath the pile of grass she had torn up when she went to sleep. Some of the stalks felt wet. Had it rained again? She sat up, afraid that she had soiled herself as she slept. When she brought her fingers to her face, she could smell the blood on them. Am I dying? Then she saw the pale crescent moon, floating high above the grass, and it came to her that this was no more than her moon blood.

If she had not been so sick and scared, that might have come as a relief. Instead she began to shiver violently. She rubbed her fingers through the dirt, and grabbed a handful of grass to wipe between her legs. The dragon does not weep. She was bleeding, but it was only woman’s blood. The moon is still a crescent, though. How can that be? She tried to remember the last time she had bled. The last full moon? The one before? The one before that? No, it cannot have been so long as that. “I am the blood of the dragon,” she told the grass, aloud.

(...)

Her belly was empty, her feet sore and blistered, and it seemed to her that the cramping had grown worse. Her guts were full of writhing snakes biting at her bowels. She scooped up a handful of mud and water in trembling hands. By midday the water would be tepid, but in the chill of dawn it was almost cool and helped her keep her eyes open. As she splashed her face, she saw fresh blood on her thighs. The ragged hem of her under-tunic was stained with it. The sight of so much red frightened her. Moon blood, it’s only my moon blood , but she did not remember ever having such a heavy flow. Could it be the water? If it was the water, she was doomed. She had to drink or die of thirst."

To me, this is textual evidence that she was at least a month late, and we know she was having sex quite often with her captain. Hizdahr could not be the father due to the proximity of the wedding.

Beyond that, those paragraphs got me thinking about  Quaithe's apparitions, always under moon light, and her prophecy about the next time Dany would give birth.

Wild speculation: Could Quaithe use the glass candles to cause some sort of abortion?
I mean, if her endgame is to help Daenerys invade Westeros (Shiera Seastar or not), it's in her best interest to prevent a stronger bond with Daario Naharis.
Dany just had a very odd dream about Viserys (probably sent by Quaithe), which reminded her of the iron throne...

Apologies for the bad english!

Well if she is not gonna have children then maybe it is because she can't carry them to full term. I mean according to that witch's prophecy.

I still don't understand why she wasn't drinking moon tea just to make sure. Also a weird fact but women having her period once a month actually didn't start until the early twentieth century when a few people decided that women would be more fertile this way so they put something in the milk to cause that (No I don't know what it is) so when they drank milk from the farms. Weird fact I know

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur, "When the seas go dry and the mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When  your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."  
(Page 734, A Game of Thrones)

The Sun's Son (Quentyn) was born in westeros and went east and died. 
The Dothraki sea is Dry and brown
Gregor, favored to win, was absolutely wrecked by Oberyn Martell. He was knocked over flat on his back
And now Dany was bleeding out of turn. 
All she needs is to bear a living child and her moon and stars will return 

54 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

Well if she is not gonna have children then maybe it is because she can't carry them to full term. I mean according to that witch's prophecy.

I still don't understand why she wasn't drinking moon tea just to make sure. Also a weird fact but women having her period once a month actually didn't start until the early twentieth century when a few people decided that women would be more fertile this way so they put something in the milk to cause that (No I don't know what it is) so when they drank milk from the farms. Weird fact I know

That's very interesting, indeed. 

Where did you read this?

56 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

Also a weird fact but women having her period once a month actually didn't start until the early twentieth century when a few people decided that women would be more fertile this way so they put something in the milk to cause that (No I don't know what it is) so when they drank milk from the farms. Weird fact I know

Facts! Who needs real ones?!?! Let's make some up!

1 hour ago, Guilherme Rubira said:

She was bleeding, but it was only woman’s blood. The moon is still a crescent, though. How can that be? She tried to remember the last time she had bled. The last full moon? The one before? The one before that? No, it cannot have been so long as that.

(...)

Moon blood, it’s only my moon blood , but she did not remember ever having such a heavy flow.

I think you've found something. Clear textual evidence that GRRM wanted us to believe she might've been pregnant, whether or not she actually was. I like it. Good find.

Your english is fine.

1 hour ago, Guilherme Rubira said:

I don't know if this topic was discussed before, but in my latest re-read the following excerpt got my atention:

"For a moment she did not realize what it was. The world had just begun to lighten, and the tall grass rustled softly in the wind. No, please, let me sleep some more. I’m so tired. She tried to burrow back beneath the pile of grass she had torn up when she went to sleep. Some of the stalks felt wet. Had it rained again? She sat up, afraid that she had soiled herself as she slept. When she brought her fingers to her face, she could smell the blood on them. Am I dying? Then she saw the pale crescent moon, floating high above the grass, and it came to her that this was no more than her moon blood.

If she had not been so sick and scared, that might have come as a relief. Instead she began to shiver violently. She rubbed her fingers through the dirt, and grabbed a handful of grass to wipe between her legs. The dragon does not weep. She was bleeding, but it was only woman’s blood. The moon is still a crescent, though. How can that be? She tried to remember the last time she had bled. The last full moon? The one before? The one before that? No, it cannot have been so long as that. “I am the blood of the dragon,” she told the grass, aloud.

(...)

Her belly was empty, her feet sore and blistered, and it seemed to her that the cramping had grown worse. Her guts were full of writhing snakes biting at her bowels. She scooped up a handful of mud and water in trembling hands. By midday the water would be tepid, but in the chill of dawn it was almost cool and helped her keep her eyes open. As she splashed her face, she saw fresh blood on her thighs. The ragged hem of her under-tunic was stained with it. The sight of so much red frightened her. Moon blood, it’s only my moon blood , but she did not remember ever having such a heavy flow. Could it be the water? If it was the water, she was doomed. She had to drink or die of thirst."

To me, this is textual evidence that she was at least a month late, and we know she was having sex quite often with her captain. Hizdahr could not be the father due to the proximity of the wedding.

Beyond that, those paragraphs got me thinking about  Quaithe's apparitions, always under moon light, and her prophecy about the next time Dany would give birth.

Wild speculation: Could Quaithe use the glass candles to cause some sort of abortion?
I mean, if her endgame is to help Daenerys invade Westeros (Shiera Seastar or not), it's in her best interest to prevent a stronger bond with Daario Naharis.
Dany just had a very odd dream about Viserys (probably sent by Quaithe), which reminded her of the iron throne...

I was reading this chapter the other day as well. I thought that she may have been pregnant as well. 

Alternatively I thought she may be the bleeding star that heralds the coming of the Prince that was Promised/AA reborn. It would be interesting if she is both the bleeding star and the Prince that was Promised.   

Yes this has been discussed many times and yes she was pregnant. Dany only thinks she is barren because she has a bad habit of misinterpreting prophecies. The prophecy seems to imply that she will die in child birth and be reunited with Drogo in death.

Dany ironically went to great lengths to avoid having her womanly parts inspected, when really there was nothing wrong with her.

As long as she's gallivanting about Essos, any babies she might carry will fail to quicken. It's nigh impossible to carry a baby to term with that much rough physical activity. And even if we lend the Dothraki some poetic license in their ability to do so, she is no horse lord. She is blood of the dragon, not horse woman.

I do think she'll have another baby at some point, though it might kill her in bringing it to term.

1 hour ago, snow is the man said:

I can't remember where I saw this which doesn't help my case I know.

AFAIK malnutrition can cause a number of health issues including irregular menstruation, so I if that's actually true, frequently irregular periods might be more of a case for lower classes during hard times. While Dany has certainly had hard times, she's a Queen Regnant who lately has probably had a very healthy diet, so I doubt that would cause her being so late.

2 hours ago, 40 Thousand Skeletons said:

Yes this has been discussed many times and yes she was pregnant. Dany only thinks she is barren because she has a bad habit of misinterpreting prophecies. The prophecy seems to imply that she will die in child birth and be reunited with Drogo in death.

Dany ironically went to great lengths to avoid having her womanly parts inspected, when really there was nothing wrong with her.

This is interesting. I agree that Dany is pregnant and that she will bear a living child. However it's worth noting that Mirri issued her prophecy in reply to Dany asking when Drogo would be as he was. Then Mirri gives her prophecy and says something like "Then will he return to you and not before". (Sorry, don't have my book on me. Maybe someone else has the quote?) Anyway, while Dany dying would satisfy the" Drogo returning to her" part, would it really satisfy Drogo being as he was? Others have speculated that Dany will have a child that will "be as Drogo was" and be as if Drogo "had returned to her".

3 hours ago, 40 Thousand Skeletons said:
Spoiler

That an interesting thought. What's your source for it?

2 hours ago, snow is the man said:

I can't remember where I saw this which doesn't help my case I know.

Do you have access to Google?

8 hours ago, snow is the man said:

Also a weird fact but women having her period once a month actually didn't start until the early twentieth century when a few people decided that women would be more fertile this way so they put something in the milk to cause that (No I don't know what it is) so when they drank milk from the farms. Weird fact I know

You shouldn't believe everything you read because this is utter and complete bullshit which cannot stand even the most basic scrutiny. There are cultures which don't - even cannot ingest - milk, yet, guess what? the menstruation period is also one month long. That's why in so many cultures you see fertility rites connected with moon cycles,and why the whole thing is called "menstruation" (mens = month). Don't you think that medical science and biology evolved a wee bit earlier than in the early twentieth century, so, you know, such an abrupt change wouldn't have escaped notice? For example, like it didn't escape notice that with more stable diet and less hard work,  girls start menstruating earlier.

Back to the topic: Dany probably felt safe during sex because of Mirri's prophecy, so she never thought about contraception. She then unwittingly caused herself abortion, either by those berries she had eaten, or by infection from contaminated water.

1 hour ago, Prof. Cecily said:

That an interesting thought. What's your source for it?

I'm not sure what you mean.. ASOIAF is my source? I just meant that it is pretty clear Dany can become pregnant based on that miscarriage in ADWD, and it is ironic that she was under the impression she couldn't get pregnant and thus went out her way to avoid the traditional Meereenese pre-wedding fertility inspection. I'm just pointing out super obvious things here, no crazy insights :D. ADWD Dany VI:

"But," said Reznak mo Reznak, blinking, "but you must, Your Worship. Before a marriage it is traditional for the women of the man's house to examine the bride's womb and, ah … her female parts. To ascertain that they are well formed and, ah …"

"… fertile," finished Galazza Galare. "An ancient ritual, Your Radiance. Three Graces shall be present to witness the examination and say the proper prayers."

"Yes," said Reznak, "and afterward there is a special cake. A women's cake, baked only for betrothals. Men are not allowed to taste it. I am told it is delicious. Magical."

And if my womb is withered and my female parts accursed, is there a special cake for that as well? "Hizdahr zo Loraq may inspect my women's parts after we are wed." Khal Drogo found no fault with them, why should he? "Let his mother and his sisters examine one another and share the special cake. I shall not be eating it. Nor shall I wash the noble Hizdahr's noble feet."

Dany takes ultra-offense at the suggestion of being inspected, specifically because she believes herself to be infertile.

2 hours ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Dany ironically went to great lengths to avoid having her womanly parts inspected, when really there was nothing wrong with he

We don't know that yet.

1 hour ago, 40 Thousand Skeletons said:

I'm not sure what you mean.. ASOIAF is my source? I just meant that it is pretty clear Dany can become pregnant based on that miscarriage in ADWD, and it is ironic that she was under the impression she couldn't get pregnant and thus went out her way to avoid the traditional Meereenese pre-wedding fertility inspection. I'm just pointing out super obvious things here, no crazy insights :D. ADWD Dany VI:

Dany takes ultra-offense at the suggestion of being inspected, specifically because she believes herself to be infertile.

What miscarriage? According to Wiki, it's not uncommon for women to confuse normal clotting of menstrual blood with a miscarriage:

Many mature females notice blood clots during menstruation. These appear as clumps of blood that may look like tissue. If there are questions (for example, was there a miscarriage?), examination under a microscope can confirm if it was endometrial tissue or pregnancy tissue (products of conception) that was shed.[22] Sometimes menstrual clots or shed endometrial tissue is incorrectly thought to indicate an early-term miscarriage of an embryo. An enzyme called plasmin – contained in the endometrium – tends to inhibit the blood from clotting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstruation

Anyway, I'd like to think you don't imagine that " the traditional Meereenese pre-wedding fertility inspection" could possibly discover if a woman is able to have babies. ;)

Though, like Dany, I'm sure the cakes are delicious.

Edited to add:

@40 Thousand Skeletons- you and I both know all too well GRRM is a master of ambiguity! I reckon he's playing with us here as well...

59 minutes ago, Prof. Cecily said:

We don't know that yet.

What miscarriage? According to Wiki, it's not uncommon for women to confuse normal clotting of menstrual blood with a miscarriage:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstruation

Anyway, I'd like to think you don't imagine that " the traditional Meereenese pre-wedding fertility inspection" could possibly discover if a woman is able to have babies. ;)

Though, like Dany, I'm sure the cakes are delicious.

Edited to add:

@40 Thousand Skeletons- you and I both know all too well GRRM is a master of ambiguity! I reckon he's playing with us here as well...

Dany went like 3 months without a period after having frequent sex with Daario. I am 99.9% sure she was pregnant and that GRRM intends for us to draw that conclusion. And no I don't think the inspection is valid, it is obviously ridiculous and superstitious in nature, but Dany doesn't know that.

6 hours ago, Rhae_Valarie said:

This is interesting. I agree that Dany is pregnant and that she will bear a living child. However it's worth noting that Mirri issued her prophecy in reply to Dany asking when Drogo would be as he was. Then Mirri gives her prophecy and says something like "Then will he return to you and not before". (Sorry, don't have my book on me. Maybe someone else has the quote?) Anyway, while Dany dying would satisfy the" Drogo returning to her" part, would it really satisfy Drogo being as he was? Others have speculated that Dany will have a child that will "be as Drogo was" and be as if Drogo "had returned to her".

That is basically correct. Dany asks when he would be as he was, but then Mirri sort of gives her a weird answer of "then he will be returned to you". Considering that death in childbirth is a reoccurring theme in the story, I'm betting Dany will bear a living child and die in the process.

8 hours ago, Ygrain said:

Back to the topic: Dany probably felt safe during sex because of Mirri's prophecy, so she never thought about contraception. She then unwittingly caused herself abortion, either by those berries she had eaten, or by infection from contaminated water.

I have pretty much always thought this as well. She was pregnant and then aborted because of the berries, or the shitty water, or even because the plague has touched her in some way when she touched the plague victims back in Meereen. 

Archived