Was Daenerys impregnated by Daario?

Guilherme Rubira

1 hour ago, 40 Thousand Skeletons said:

LOL I think no one is Azor Ahai because it is a bullshit prophecy and R'hllor doesn't exist. But Dany certainly has special genes. I don't doubt her child would have the potential to ride a dragon if dragons are still around in the end. But there may be no significance to Dany's child at all.

Yeah, a lot of people believe that Dany's child would be with Jon and the baby would be Azor Ahai because it is both ice and fire, or something, so I was curious to see what you thought. I tend to agree that Dany's baby would just be a regular Human, but probably a pretty awesome one at that. I really hate the idea of Dany dying in child birth to fulfill some sort of Nissa Nissa role. It seems anticlimactic compared to the rest of her arc. As if she isn't really important as a character and a person, just as a baby maker to produce the real Azor Ahai. But if her death in childbirth had nothing to do with any prophecies, especially if it takes place after the climax of the story and doesn't undercut her character arc, I'm cool with it. It is par for the course in this series.

3 hours ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Three months without a period and the woman doesn't suspect she's pregnant?

That is odd.

Maybe not. Not all women start blowing chunks constantly once they're impregnated (but Hollywood and many fiction writers DO like that scenario). Daenerys was told (as far as she knew) that she'd never bear a living child; perhaps she wrote off any irregularities in her periods as maybe her reproductive system turning itself off. She didn't seem to pay much attention or remark upon it at any other point in her chapters. Remember, her handmaids noted her first pregnancy before she did. (However, given this experience, she might have been better able to recognize the condition.)

We don't hear anything more about Sansa's periods, after that traumatic first one, after all.

9 hours ago, zandru said:

Maybe not. Not all women start blowing chunks constantly once they're impregnated (but Hollywood and many fiction writers DO like that scenario). Daenerys was told (as far as she knew) that she'd never bear a living child; perhaps she wrote off any irregularities in her periods as maybe her reproductive system turning itself off. She didn't seem to pay much attention or remark upon it at any other point in her chapters. Remember, her handmaids noted her first pregnancy before she did. (However, given this experience, she might have been better able to recognize the condition.)

We don't hear anything more about Sansa's periods, after that traumatic first one, after all.

Blowing chunks. 

The first time in my life I've read that phrase and I daresay I'm a better person for knowing what it means, after having consulted the urban dictionary.

You raise an interesting point- that of Daenerys' handmaids not noticing anything unusual in their Khaleesi's menstrual pattern.

Gods be good.

To answer the original question I really really hope she was not pregnant by now Daario just because I can't stand Daario and will never understand Dany's infatuation with him. But if Dany was pregnant and was in fact having a miscarriage, the baby would have to be Daario or Hizdahr's. More likely Daario due to timing. 

I do think it's likely she was having a miscarriage, but I think it's very premature to state it as fact as some on this thread have done. It could be miscarriage, the bloody flux or she could just be having a really heavy period. We don't know at this point and it's definitely clear. With that said I really like @Ygrain's thought  about the berries causing the miscarriage by acting as abortive. I never thought about that. I also like the poster who had the figurative interpretation of Mirri's prophecy.

I agree that Dany never suspected she was pregnant because she took Mirri's words at face value, and believed she would never conceive another child. I have never envisioned Dany having a child, but thinking about it now, I don't think George would have included a scene of Dany having a miscarriage if her being able to conceive wouldn't be important in some way later on. I have seen people predict that Dany may die in childbirth in the past, and that doesn't seem impossible to me, although I think there will be a huge backlash if that's the route GRRM chooses. 

6 hours ago, Maxxine said:

To answer the original question I really really hope she was not pregnant by now Daario just because I can't stand Daario and will never understand Dany's infatuation with him. But if Dany was pregnant and was in fact having a miscarriage, the baby would have to be Daario or Hizdahr's. More likely Daario due to timing. 

Spoiler

I do think it's likely she was having a miscarriage, but I think it's very premature to state it as fact as some on this thread have done. It could be miscarriage, the bloody flux or she could just be having a really heavy period. We don't know at this point and it's definitely clear. With that said I really like @Ygrain's thought  about the berries causing the miscarriage by acting as abortive. I never thought about that. I also like the poster who had the figurative interpretation of Mirri's prophecy.

Sexual infatuation is almost never understandable from the outside, and so often a living hell from the inside.

Poor Dany!

6 hours ago, Maxxine said:

It could be miscarriage, the bloody flux or she could just be having a really heavy period.

In literature, things like that don't happen without reason :-) 

"she did not remember ever having such a heavy flow"

"The moon is still a crescent, though. How can that be? She tried to remember the last time she had bled. The last full moon? The one before? The one before that? No, it cannot have been so long as that."

So, we have an unusually heavy period, at a wrong time, and she does not remember if she had her period last time when due. I doubt that GRRM would go into such length describing Dany's periods if there wasn't a meaning to it.

As for bloody flux: I didn't realize this when I was writing the case against it in an earlier post, but that's definitely not it. With bloody flux, there is blood in the stool, but that's not the case here. The diarrhea was caused by something else.

I've re-read the end of the chapter and it really looks more like food poisoning from those berries: first she vomits, then there comes intestinal reaction, but the next day, there is no more watery stool. None. She is weak and feverish and has cramps, but no stool. No stool as she walks for hours, no stool when she rides Drogon. Infections - especially with so bad symptoms as she experienced - don't go away so easily.

On 22 June 2017 at 6:00 PM, Prof. Cecily said:

Hmm.

Three months without a period?

That makes a miscarriage more likely, yes, indeed!

Three months without a period and the woman doesn't suspect she's pregnant?

That is odd.

Not at all unprecedented, I would say. 

10 hours ago, Castellan said:

Not at all unprecedented, I would say. 

Possibly not.

I would doubt Dany's handmaids would ignore the situation, especially with an important wedding on the horizon, complete with a ritual "inspection" of the bride-to-be's genitalia.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2017 at 0:55 PM, snow is the man said:

Well if she is not gonna have children then maybe it is because she can't carry them to full term. I mean according to that witch's prophecy.

I still don't understand why she wasn't drinking moon tea just to make sure. Also a weird fact but women having her period once a month actually didn't start until the early twentieth century when a few people decided that women would be more fertile this way so they put something in the milk to cause that (No I don't know what it is) so when they drank milk from the farms. Weird fact I know

Wherever you read that, its not true. the menstrual cycle has always been tied to the phases of the moon, since the time of the Pagans. it may be that men in the twentieth century decided women should be more fertile, so they put something in milk to achieve that, but it isn't the reason that women menstruate so much. 

And wow, I thought GRRM knew his stuff, but he is ignorant about this. Women who are in line with the moon, don't menstruate during the full moon, they menstruate on the new moon, and ovulate on the full moon. I mean, if you learn about the whole process, you learn that light plays a huge role in ovulation. I'm surprised he doesn't know all of this. 

Archived