MLB 2017: The House That Bones Built

Myshkin

3 hours ago, Myshkin said:

But in the long run Sanchez is a catcher, and it's rare for catchers to keep up that type of offensive pace, especially the power numbers. If he's gonna keep hitting like he's hitting now he's probably gonna have to be moved to 1B, LF, or DH. And Aaron Judge is a full two years older than Seager, and four years older than Bellinger. All four look to be headed for great careers, but if I could only choose one of them, it's Seager. 

Entirely agree with everything quoted.  Sanchez will have to move to 1B/DH eventually like Mauer (the outfield is not an option).  In the meantime, his arm is an asset.  And yes, the Dodgers guys are younger.  That really doesn't matter though for the next 7-8 years.

On 6/25/2017 at 7:37 PM, dmc515 said:

This has been a no good, very bad past couple weeks for the Yanks - and losing Hick today for 3 to 4 weeks is another body blow.  However, watching Judge and Sanchez spearhead a comeback that came thisclose this afternoon from 7 down was fun to watch.  I think the two have a chance to be the most formidable power duo since Manny/Ortiz.  Not to mention they both give defensive value (one at a premium position).  And they're both much younger and cheaper for the next five years.

And Castro just left this game with a hamstring strain. That fucking hurts. I keep telling myself that this team is young and ahead of schedule overall, but it has been very frustrating as hell watching them lately. 

In a keeper league I'm in I have to choose between Judge and Sanchez at the end of the year. I'm leaning towards Judge right now but catcher is such a scarce position. 

21 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

And Castro just left this game with a hamstring strain. That fucking hurts. I keep telling myself that this team is young and ahead of schedule overall, but it has been very frustrating as hell watching them lately. 

When it rains it pours.  Sigh.  Silver lining for my prospect-obsessed self - we might see Tyler Wade get a cup of coffee.  Would be better if it was Torres but his idiot sliding precluded that.

21 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

In a keeper league I'm in I have to choose between Judge and Sanchez at the end of the year. I'm leaning towards Judge right now but catcher is such a scarce position

That's a tough call.  I don't play fantasy but I've been living vicariously through my brother who's in a league this year, and yeah - I think I'd take Sanchez due to the position scarcity in the long run.  But that's hard man, watching Judge it just seems he's an incredibly smart hitter that won't let the slump I keep waiting for happen.

26 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

When it rains it pours.  Sigh.  Silver lining for my prospect-obsessed self - we might see Tyler Wade get a cup of coffee.  Would be better if it was Torres but his idiot sliding precluded that.

Ha, they just announced Wade is getting called up tomorrow. 

20 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Ha, they just announced Wade is getting called up tomorrow. 

Yeah he's got more offensive upside than Torreyes:  i.e. he actually can work a count.  Been showing some marginal "power" this year as well, which is an encouraging improvement.

More good news for the horrific (outside of Rivero) Pirates bullpen, Antonio Bastardo, he of the 16.20 ERA, has been brought off the disabled list after an extensive "rehab" assignment in AAA, where he only walked 8 batters in 11 innings. The Bucs have had really solid pens over the last several years, but this amalgamation of pitchers who refuse to get people out makes me want to stab myself in the neck with a butter knife...

Well M's fans, if you were hoping to get healthy and go on a run, I have some bad news for you; Drew Smyly needs TJ surgery.

ETA: Oh and also, the Cubs have cut Miguel Montero for being mean to Jake Arrieta.

So this will be the third straight day a top-10 yankee prospect is called up to replace someone going on the DL - looks like Austin this time with (another!) hammy.  It's cool seeing all these guys up - and Andujar's debut last night was something, but Jeebus.

On 6/28/2017 at 1:34 PM, Myshkin said:

Well M's fans, if you were hoping to get healthy and go on a run, I have some bad news for you; Drew Smyly needs TJ surgery.

ETA: Oh and also, the Cubs have cut Miguel Montero for being mean to Jake Arrieta.

God don't remind me. Being a Mariners fan is pain. They go on a winning streak to get you hopes up then they lose four in a row just to remind you that they are still the Mariners and you don't deserve to be happy.

6 hours ago, dmc515 said:

So this will be the third straight day a top-10 yankee prospect is called up to replace someone going on the DL - looks like Austin this time with (another!) hammy.  

Unfortunately this means we have to endure more Chris Carter at-bats.

ETA: The Nationals bullpen strikes again! 

More bad news, this time for Nats fans (which I think is only JaimeL); Trea Turner out with a broken wrist. No timetable on his return. 

In more uplifting news, the Cubs are back above .500. Hell of a team, them Cubbies. At this pace they're looking at an 83 win season.

In honor of what is turning out to be one of the worst Giant's season since the mid-eighties, I give you a 30 for 30 short on the greatest MLB team mascot of all time. Bow your heads, and prepare to throw beer bottles and D-cells at Crazy Crab. Cause that's how you tell him you love him.

http://grantland.com/features/30-for-30-shorts-the-anti-mascot/

Archived