MLB 2017: The House That Bones Built

Myshkin

Just now, GrimTuesday said:

Cano winning the All-star game was pretty cool, though that was overshadowed by by the hilarity of Yankees fans pretending like the fact he was once a Yankee is the most important thing, and how it overshadows the fact that he is playing for the M's.

Meh.  There are a lot of annoying Yankee fans, but all Cano's homer did for me was serve as a sad reminder he left.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want that contract, but still loved the guy.

5 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Meh.  There are a lot of annoying Yankee fans, but all Cano's homer did for me was serve as a sad reminder he left.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want that contract, but still loved the guy.

I mean, you basically have the same contract with Ellsbury (7/21m) as we have with Cano (10/24m) in the grand scheme of things, but for less than  half the WAR. Robbie has put up 19 WAR in his first 4 seasons, as compared to just nine for Ellsbury. Sure, Robbie will be payed an extra 72m over his extra but considering each win is theoretically worth 7m the M's have gotten 33m in surplus value out of his first four years, and I think he is going to age better than Ellsbury.

It certainly was nice though, know that the Mariners had the two coolest guys in the All-Star game, I almost died when Cruz had Yadi take the picture of him and Joe West.

14 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I mean, you basically have the same contract with Ellsbury (7/21m) as we have with Cano (10/24m) in the grand scheme of things, but for less than  half the WAR.

Not wanting Cano's contract does not mean wanting Ells' in any way.  In any, any way - it was an overreaction by ownership.  Although, at this point, I would take Ells' over Cano's just because it's done three years earlier.

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

Not wanting Cano's contract does not mean wanting Ells' in any way.  In any, any way - it was an overreaction by ownership.  Although, at this point, I would take Ells' over Cano's just because it's done three years earlier.

Pretty much how I feel. I loved Cano but absolutely did not want them to sign a 31 y/o to a 10 year contract. Ellsbury was an absurd signing too but what can you do? Yankees love to do dumb shit, but at least they look like they've learned a thing or two recently.

4 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Pretty much how I feel. I loved Cano but absolutely did not want them to sign a 31 y/o to a 10 year contract. Ellsbury was an absurd signing too but what can you do? Yankees love to do dumb shit, but at least they look like they've learned a thing or two recently.

I don't know, I think that even if he is really bad in the last few years of his contract, the Mariners window will be pretty much closed, so odds are the entire team will be bad to mediocre, and as long as Robbie is still cool, I can deal with it, because when a team is bad, it's those kind of guys who make it bearable.

Nobody's talking about the biggest news from the All-Star festivities: Rickey Henderson hit a lead-off HR in the celebrity softball game. The man is 58 years old, and is still better than half the dudes currently in the MLB. 

10 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Nobody's talking about the biggest news from the All-Star festivities: Rickey Henderson hit a lead-off HR in the celebrity softball game. The man is 58 years old, and is still better than half the dudes currently in the MLB. 

And still the key figure in the best MLB conversation that never happened...

http://www.fangraphs.com/not/the-hendersonolerud-story-three-adaptations/

17 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Hey guy, it's time for you to get a fucking avatar. I suggest this one

Lulz. Not bad, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Believe me, I've tried, but despite numerous resizings and varied attempts, I simply can't get the damn thing to function. One of these days I'll suss it out.

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

This made me chuckle...I think most of my mornings would be better if I somehow stumbled into that picture :)

Sano gets to the final of the Derby, and then bloops an RBI at the All-Star Game.  Then Santana serves up the tying bomb.

This team doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in me, but expectations were pretty well nil going into the season.  I can't trust them until they stop handing the ball to Gibson once every five games, though.  The dude is abysmal.  He has had three "quality starts" this season.  He's started 16 games, so fewer than 1/5 of his starts are quality.  Surely that's got to be kind of like the Mendoza Line for pitchers?

Ah well.  Playing .500 ball isn't anything to be too fussy about in the Twin Cities. :)

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Lulz. Not bad, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Believe me, I've tried, but despite numerous resizings and varied attempts, I simply can't get the damn thing to function. One of these days I'll suss it out.

Ever try gravatar.com? That's how I do mine on my Ipad and it's pretty easy.

Sano is a beast.

21 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Ever try gravatar.com? That's how I do mine on my Ipad and it's pretty easy.

Sano is a beast.

He is.  I'd love to see his partner from the pipeline (Buxton) start putting things together at the plate.  He's speedy and a great fielder and if he could just get to, say, .250...  

Also nice if Vargas could stay healthy and keep pretending he's a young David Ortiz.  All in on offense, I guess.

9 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I was pissed the Yankees didn't trade Cano when they knew he wasn't coming back, he would have been worth a king's ransom.

Aye.  It would have have been nice for them to get more than a pick for him.  But you're never gonna see a Steinbrenner sell his best players at the break (especially at this point when that wouldn't even garner a pick).

8 hours ago, Myshkin said:

No avatar, no mercy!!!

4 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Aye.  It would have have been nice for them to get more than a pick for him.  But you're never gonna see a Steinbrenner sell his best players at the break (especially at this point when that wouldn't even garner a pick).

No avatar, no mercy!!!

The haul they could have gotten for him would have made the group we got from Miller and Chapman look like nothing. 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19993318/chicago-cubs-get-jose-quintana-chicago-white-sox-top-prospects

The Cubs and White Sox pulled off a blockbuster deal with the White Sox sending lefty Jose Quintana to their crosstown rivals for Cubs top hitting prospect Eloy Jimenez as well as top pitching prospect Dylan Cease.

The Cubs are also sending Single-A infielders Matt Rose and Bryant Flete to the White Sox to complete the deal.

Jimenez, a 20-year-old outfielder, is the No. 5 prospect in baseball, according to ESPN's Keith Law.

So much for not trading to a cross town rival. 

Just in case you needed a reminder of how scummy professional sports leagues are

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/7/11/15953060/expansion-mlb-new-stadiums-rob-manfred

The fact that we allow teams and the league to hold baseball hostage in exchange for the people footing the bill for whatever corporate sponsored monstrosity they decide they want to build every 20 years is fucking disgusting. And the fact that they are doing the same thing the NBA always does with Seattle whenever a city doesn't want to lay the cost of building a new basketball arena is fucking repugnant, Threatening to move every time a city tell you to fund your own cash cow then sit there and play the victim in the press is disgusting, and I really wish the MLB would just chill. But capitalism and all that fun stuff say why make a ton of money when you could make a shit load of money.

Hmm, if I'm a Cubs fan I don't like this trade. It's not a bad trade, but it's still a pretty steep price for a guy who's not really an ace. I get that the NL Central is weak enough that the Cubs feel they can still sneak into the postseason this year, but Quintana's not having a good year; in fact he's having a worse year than Arrieta and Lester. 

ETA: I should add that the White Sox are doing a hell of a job rebuilding. Good on them for not half-assing it.

Archived