MLB 2017: The House That Bones Built

Myshkin

5 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I'm not sure what good starters/great starters are even available.

I think you're right about the current market - I'm glad they didn't give up the package likely required in order to acquire the likes of Sonny Gray or, say, Gerrit Cole (who I've always rooted for since the Yanks drafted him in the 1st round but has just not been very good this year and has been regressing the past couple years).  If that's the case, you hold onto Rutherford and see what opens up in the offseason - certainly they can find at least a good controllable starter at that point, plus the price is always down compared to around the deadline.

The Yanks prospect depth is a point of strength - they could have easily upgraded first base and the bullpen for this season without giving up any of their top 5 (or maybe even top 10) prospects.  Also, to answer your previous post, I would have much preferred Yonder Alonso as a 1B upgrade to Frazier.

12 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I think you're right about the current market - I'm glad they didn't give up the package likely required in order to acquire the likes of Sonny Gray or, say, Gerrit Cole (who I've always rooted for since the Yanks drafted him in the 1st round but has just not been very good this year and has been regressing the past couple years).  If that's the case, you hold onto Rutherford and see what opens up in the offseason - certainly they can find at least a good controllable starter at that point, plus the price is always down compared to around the deadline.

The Yanks prospect depth is a point of strength - they could have easily upgraded first base and the bullpen for this season without giving up any of their top 5 (or maybe even top 10) prospects.  Also, to answer your previous post, I would have much preferred Yonder Alonso as a 1B upgrade to Frazier.

According to Bleacher Report they still might try and acquire Yonder Alonso.

44 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I'd prefer to see them see what Chance Adams has got rather than trade a chip. 

Adams' walk rate is a red flag.  As is his fly-ball rate in Yankee stadium.  I'd prefer he got both under control before being called up, but considering the alternatives are Cessa and Mitchell, I'm open to giving him a shot now.

17 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

According to Bleacher Report they still might try and acquire Yonder Alonso.

They do still really need a lefty bat.  I'm just wondering what you do with Headley at that point, and I'd rather not dump him for nothing (or have him languish on a bench that really doesn't have room for him).

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Add Sano to a long list of superstars that own the Yankees. Another series loss.

This was a bit of a surprise.  I had some hope with [insert name that isn't Gibson or Colon here] taking the mound, but the Twins usually play down a level or three when they face the Yankees.  Waking up to find that they took the rubber match helped make my morning a bit more pleasant :)

Twins reportedly finalizing a trade for Jaime Garcia.  He's got a steep price (still owed $4.85m) and I'm a little nervous about his transition to the AL.  That nervousness is possibly founded on nothing, though, as I don't actually know how the leagues stack up against each other offensively.  My gut says pitching in the AL is harder?

Anyway... this seems like a smarter move than bringing in someone for whom the term "venerable" could be aptly applied.

I just don't think the Twins have the pitching to actually get anywhere this season, but I do like that the team is trying to make some moves and capitalize on their surprising success.

Yanks lost tonight but Judge homered, Sanchez doubled, and Frazier has a double and a single.  That works in my book.  OTOH, Tanaka continues to frustrate - not looking forward to having him for the next three years.  Anyway, it's getting to the point were you can't even sit Frazier, let alone sit him down.  That's great, but I wonder what they do.  Todd Frazier, meanwhile, is 1 for 13 since joining the Yankees.  He drove in a run tonight though.  On a double play.

Relevant to the past couple posts:  The Garcia-Twins trade didn't work out.  I'm a big fan of the Yanks getting Jaime Garcia to shore up the 5th starter for reasonable (i.e. middling) prospects.  Caleb Smith is starting for the Yanks tomorrow.

Even more so than Correa, one would think the Dodgers can weather the loss of Kershaw as long as he's healthy come playoff time.

Good win by the Yanks today - caught the last half after watching Dunkirk.  2 Didi HRs?  That's turning out to be the best trade Cashman has ever made.  And I have a man-crush on Chad Green as a future (and, hell, current) stud reliever.

Here's the scoop by Dan Shaughnessy on what happened during that altercation between Price and Eck last month. https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2017/07/23/shaughnessy/LFEh4ADdxNLjW2B7UWEVrJ/amp.html

Red Sox fan or not, it's not a fun read. Shame on Price and JBJ, simply classless. My biggest wonder is if the Red Sox have a Brooks Robinson, where the heck is Pedroia? I haven't exactly been anticipating Price's starts, I didn't know I had to question is character too. I don't believe this team has the spirit to make a deep playoff run, regardless if Devers solves our third base issues or not. 

4 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

Here's the scoop by Dan Shaughnessy on what happened during that altercation between Price and Eck last month. https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2017/07/23/shaughnessy/LFEh4ADdxNLjW2B7UWEVrJ/amp.html

Red Sox fan or not, it's not a fun read. Shame on Price and JBJ, simply classless. My biggest wonder is if the Red Sox have a Brooks Robinson, where the heck is Pedroia? I haven't exactly been anticipating Price's starts, I didn't know I had to question is character too. I don't believe this team has the spirit to make a deep playoff run, regardless if Devers solves our third base issues or not. 

This is fucking disgusting. Price and JBJ and every ass who applauded need to face some kind of discipline, whether it's a benching or a fine. “Some people just don’t understand how hard this game is.’’ You're talking about Dennis fucking Eckersley. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer. He won a fucking MVP as a reliever! And the stories about exactly how hard this game was on him personally are well known. I know I like to hate on the Sawks, but this story genuinely pisses me off. 

3 hours ago, Myshkin said:

This is fucking disgusting. Price and JBJ and every ass who applauded need to face some kind of discipline, whether it's a benching or a fine. “Some people just don’t understand how hard this game is.’’ You're talking about Dennis fucking Eckersley. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer. He won a fucking MVP as a reliever! And the stories about exactly how hard this game was on him personally are well known. I know I like to hate on the Sawks, but this story genuinely pisses me off. 

Yeah that was the most baffling part to me. Does Price genuinely not know who Eckersley is? That is the only reasonable explanation to say such a brainless thing. 

8 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

Oh, fuck these guys if they can't take some mild straight talk from Eck. Fuck that overrated and overpaid whiny baby Price. Fuck John Farrell for being a disingenuous waste of space. 

Archived