MLB 2017: The House That Bones Built

Myshkin

Taylor and Bellinger do it again! If you'd told me at the beginning of the season that Chris Taylor was going to be one of the most important pieces on this Dodger team, I'd have said who the fuck is Chris Taylor.

3 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Taylor and Bellinger do it again! If you'd told me at the beginning of the season that Chris Taylor was going to be one of the most important pieces on this Dodger team, I'd have said who the fuck is Chris Taylor.

and i would have told you "remember that time Chris Taylor was my kid brother ?"

Some trouble for the youngins in NY. Judge has a 24 game strikeout streak going in which he has K'd 40 times in that stretch. I know he's only a rookie and has put up unreal numbers but damn! He just seems completely lost lately, letting meatballs go and then swinging at pure garbage.

And Sanchez' defense has cost him some playing time. I think it's just pure laziness with him. There were questions about his commitment and effort when he was in the minors so really no surprise here. More alarming to me is that other teams are on to the fact that he waves at basically any shit offspeed pitch(especially outside ones) when he has 2 strikes. 

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Some trouble for the youngins in NY. Judge has a 24 game strikeout streak going in which he has K'd 40 times in that stretch. I know he's only a rookie and has put up unreal numbers but damn! He just seems completely lost lately, letting meatballs go and then swinging at pure garbage.

And Sanchez' defense has cost him some playing time. I think it's just pure laziness with him. There were questions about his commitment and effort when he was in the minors so really no surprise here. More alarming to me is that other teams are on to the fact that he waves at basically any shit offspeed pitch(especially outside ones) when he has 2 strikes. 

The HR Derby fucked up his swing and he's probably not going to get it back before the end of the season.

I'm not shocked about Sanchez either, he lost his prospect status for awhile because of it.

RE:  Judge and Sanchez.  This is the Judge I followed throughout the minors - streaky.  The fact he still has 5 homeruns and is still talking his walks, and consequently as a >.700 OPS in his 21 games post ASB is actually encouraging in the sense that even his downswings aren't too bad.  And no, I don't think the Derby has anything to do with it, that's post hoc fallacy written all over it.  I think the whole "Derby killing your swing" thing is BS for every player, but if anyone is built to not let that affect them, it's Judge.  I do think it's possible the All-Star break in general fucked with him psychologically.  Lotsa attention on him for the first time in his life, and he seems like the type that would put extra pressure on himself when the Commissioner tries to anoint you the new face of baseball.

As for Sanchez, I think it's important to point out he's actually solid in most aspects of catching.  Here's a post from my favorite Yankees blog that lists his defensive metrics (rank out of 87 catchers in parentheses):

• Framing: +4.0 runs (13th)
  • Blocking: -1.3 runs (80th)
  • Throwing: +0.8 runs (10th)
  • Total Fielding: +3.5 runs (15th)

Clearly, he's bad at blocking.  Really, really, really bad.  But it should be noted 5 of his league-leading 12 passed balls have come in his last 12 games.  Something seems to be up, but I don't think it's "laziness," at least intentionally.  I think Girardi believes he's lost focus on this aspect of the game, and this is him sending a message to buck up.  Fair enough.  As long as he can take one "really" off the bad part of his blocking, Sanchez should be fine defensively with an ultra valuable bat.  I actually hope it's a lack of focus - it could also be his body can't handle a full season of catching (in the bigs) which is far less correctable and far more worrisome.

Much rather keep him at catcher for as long as possible.  Should be able to get five-six good years out of him before moving to first is necessary.  Regarding the short term, probably not a good idea to try and learn a new position he's never played (ok, 4 professional innings at first total) during a playoff run.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

1.2 bil? I hope Jeffrey Loria left Jeets a gift basket, cause he just got fucked.

Jeter just got carte blanche to run an organization for $25 million.  I think he's cool.

22 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Chapman tried his best to fuck that up, thank God Hicks can throw.  

Yeah thank the gods he's back.  The two-run homer to start the rally was pretty cool too.  The Sawks seems to have Chapman's number, which...means Joe needs to give him the hook in the future.

Don't look now, but Estevan Florial - the guy they didn't trade for Gray - homered tonight.  He got bumped up to High A Tampa at the deadline, and in 9 games he's OPS'ing .909 (I know, SSS, blah, blah).  This is very reminiscent of the trajectory Eloy Jimenez took this past year, which ended up with him being the top piece traded for Quintana and a top 10 prospect in all of baseball.

15 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Yeah thank the gods he's back.  The two-run homer to start the rally was pretty cool too.  The Sawks seems to have Chapman's number, which...means Joe needs to give him the hook in the future.

Ha, we both know that won't happen unless there is several disasters. Joe is loyal to a fault.

Good win though. I fell asleep when it was 3-0 and woke up to a pleasant surprise. Tanaka to the DL. 

Archived