MLB 2017: The House That Bones Built

Myshkin

13 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Leave it to a Yankee fan to interrupt our moment.

Missed this.  You didn't respond to ME's original post for, like, 10 hours.  Leave it to Californians to think a moment lasts ten hours.

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Chapman grimaced after throwing the final pitch and pulled up lame after covering first base last night.

Yeah, DL seems like a distinct possibility.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

So The Streak is in real jeopardy. Judge will probably get another ab in the 9th though. He also hit a moonshot earlier.

@dmc515 I saw that you're a 49er fan in the NFL forum. Disappointing, man.

Didi!

Judge got the record!  And was 2 for 5 with a (457 ft) homer.  I'll take that all day, every day.  Also, yes, Didi!

RE: The Niners - yeah, my dad was born and raised in the Bay Area (my mom moved there too around high school and they both went to Berkeley).  While me and my brother were born and raised in upstate New York, dad made damn sure we were niners fans.  Considering this decision was made around 1990-93, that was an easy sell.  OTOH, while I'll root for the (baseball) Giants, the Yankees got to me during the same time period.  The Blue Jays were in the running as well (technically the closest geographical team), but, Murica.  

I'm also an Orlando Magic fan for no real reason other than my dad didn't care about basketball and the Knicks did not appeal to me (brother's a Knicks fan, poor bastard).  I got really into the Shaq/Penny combo as a kid.  Our childhood dog was named Penny.

Oh, also, Greg Bird played his first rehab tonight with Scranton - 1/2 with a K in 5 innings playing first.  It's been hard to get up hope that he may actually contribute this year, but, on the other hand:

2 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Guys, I love love love that MLB is playing a game Sunday night in Williamsport for all the kids at the Little League World Series.

http://www.llbws.org/media/news/llws-welcomes-pirates-cardinals-mlb-classic.htm

Very cool. The Giants used to do something like this back in my Little League days. They'd have these Little league Days, wherein all the local Little Leagues were given choice seats at bleacher prices. Our entire league would take up like a quarter of a section. It was a really unique sort of community get together. It was a cool feeling to look up and down your section and pretty much know everybody there. Kind of a singular experience at a professional sporting event. One season our team captain got to throw out the first pitch. Good times.

My Cardinals, whom I've generally banished from view since, oh, May, sure tried hard tonight to blow an 8 run 8th inning lead. What the fuck is going on with this team? No Cardinals fan seems to know. We don't like Matheny, they keep missing trade opportunities or big signings. We're having yet another season showing our bizarre ability to bring up totally unheralded rookies who inexplicably succeed at the MLB level. It has been backfiring the last two years, as most of them somehow kill it for a few hundred ABs or IP,  then badly peter off and we're back to this .500 lackluster team. 

I have absolutely no idea how to judge this team and its future, despite trying every day to figure out what the hell is going on with them, top to bottom. Hell I change my mind on Molina's 3 year extension about every day and a half since he signed it.

2 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Guys, I love love love that MLB is playing a game Sunday night in Williamsport for all the kids at the Little League World Series.

http://www.llbws.org/media/news/llws-welcomes-pirates-cardinals-mlb-classic.htm

Anyone ever been to the LLWS? I went with a few friends for a Saturday back in 2002 or 2003 when I was at Penn State since the drive wasn't bad. It was an awesome experience.

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

Anyone ever been to the LLWS? I went with a few friends for a Saturday back in 2002 or 2003 when I was at Penn State since the drive wasn't bad. It was an awesome experience.

I went with my family in 1989 and saw the town I grew up in (TrumbulI, CT) win the championship. I was 9 y/o and still remember a lot of the game. Ex-NHL player Chris Drury pitched and came up with a big hit I believe. Good times. I also remember my dad getting pulled over for speeding in Pennsylvania on the way home and the cop let us go with no ticket after seeing we lived in Connecticut.

ETA: Grandyman off to Dodgers. How ecstatic must he be?

17 hours ago, dmc515 said:

So the Dodgers just bought Curtis Granderson.  I'm totally happy for him, but can we stop pretending the Yanks are the Evil Empire?

To be fair, they cast the mold. But yeah, the Dodger's have certainly occupied the top spot in the MLB Axis of Evil ever since the recent ownership change.

The Pirates and Cards are hanging out with the LLWS teams in the bleachers and clubhouse during elimination games. I am loving this so much. Also,  Go Canada! 

As for our heroes The Dodgers as Evil Empire, that's adorable. If you're a Giants fan go for it. Sour grapes, rivalry, whatever. They aren't owned by a Steinbrenner. Who did they add this year to 'buy' their championship  (which they haven't won yet...yet) versus who worked their way up from the minor-leagues? Who is playing on this team (and making a significant contribution) that hasn't been in their system or on the roster the past two, three, four seasons? 

Hyperbole is fun. A know-nothing Nationals 'fan' (who apparently was an O's fan before they came to town) suggested to MC and I the other night that Kershaw pitched FOUR TIMES during the playoff series against Washington. The fuck? And whose only other comeback was that the Nats took the first series this year 2-1. Yeah.

Anyways. Go ahead and hate on the Dodgers. Is it because they finally have a balanced starting rotation, which they pretty much had before Darvish? Is it because they finally have some middle relievers? Is it because they're going to have another ROTY candidate? Is it because even when they are down, they find ways to win? Is it because you have a problem with hobo-looking gingers? Is it because you don't know who Chris Taylor is? Is it because they're doing it WITHOUT Kershaw? Is it because Puig has matured into the player we knew he could be? Is it because you can't say anything bad about Dave Roberts? Is it because when you watch this team, you can clearly see the comraderie and fun they are having? Yup. Pure evil. 

Save it for the off-season. Everything has yet to be determined. 

No, it's because they are rat-blowing degenerates. They're having fun in the middle of a potentially record setting season? WELL PAINT ME BLUE AND CALL ME A SMURF! 

Until they win the Series, you're just masturbating into a sock and bragging that you sweet talked it into anal. I know that joke shouldn't work on a female poster, but it's just that good.

10 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Until they win the Series, you're just masturbating into a sock and bragging that you sweet talked it into anal. I know that joke shouldn't work on a female poster, but it's just that good.

Er, that's a bit much. But at any rate all your premature exasperation is just that until they win. But it's a nice distraction from

*looks down down down down down down the standings*

Huh. How about that.

Archived