MLB 2017: The House That Bones Built

Myshkin

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

He actually had Tommy John surgery!  But it's on his non throwing elbow.  Plus, ya know, he's not a pitcher.  By all accounts he should be ready by Spring Training.  BTW, he blew out his elbow on a very stupid slide into home, here's the video:

Tommy John? No shit, well it's good to know that he'll be ready for spring training.

Oh my fuck. In a tie game with no outs and a runner already on, Benintendi gets thrown out at second trying to stretch a single into a double. He was called safe and ruled out on review, which I think was close, but accurate. Twelfth time he's made an out baserunning. Fucking stupid.

Eckersley was justifiably critical of the attempt, even if it had been safe, so I imagine Sox players will get all whiney at him again.

Astros get Verlander.  Great pickup for their run this year, but he is signed for two more years at $28 million.  The initial report does not say Detroit ate any of that money.  Quite an investment by Houston, has to make their players feel good.

ETA:  Just saw Detroit traded Upton to the Angels.  He can opt out after the season, but he has 4 years and $88 million left on his deal.  Quite a good day for the Tigers in purging all that money as they head to a rebuild.

Wishing Justin nothing but the best. The guy is a fantastic competitor and wore the D cap proud. Thanks for the years of memories JV..

I believe hes gonna be of help for the Astros post season, hes throwing better right now than his 10-8 record would lead one to believe.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Wishing Justin nothing but the best. The guy is a fantastic competitor and wore the D cap proud. Thanks for the years of memories JV..

I believe hes gonna be of help for the Astros post season, hes throwing better right now than his 10-8 record would lead one to believe.

Best comment I saw on the Deadspin article was something to the effect of: this is great, because Houston needs all the motorboaters it can get.

11 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Oh my fuck. In a tie game with no outs and a runner already on, Benintendi gets thrown out at second trying to stretch a single into a double. He was called safe and ruled out on review, which I think was close, but accurate. Twelfth time he's made an out baserunning. Fucking stupid.

Eckersley was justifiably critical of the attempt, even if it had been safe, so I imagine Sox players will get all whiney at him again.

What the fuck was that about? Do they think Eckersley is supposed to rub their heiney and tell them how special it is?

34 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

What the fuck was that about? Do they think Eckersley is supposed to rub their heiney and tell them how special it is?

They've been babies. I can't think of Jackie Bradley Jr the same way after reading that he used unsuspecting Red Sox PR staff to set up an ambush of Eck for some whiny Instagram post.

Then that plunking bullshit with the Orioles and Pedroia with his "It's not me" act was a failure of leadership in so many ways. To my knowledge, Price still hasn't apologized for his tantrum on the plane. He said, something like a month after the incident, that he was waiting for a good opportunity to talk in person or some bullshit like that. Eck, to his credit, said he wasn't interested in setting up a meeting.

Eck is my favorite baseball color guy. Just a little bit wacky, entertaining, great analysis, and not afraid to call out poor performance or dumb behavior. I'm glad the fans gave him extra applause while the Price drama was going on.

31 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

They've been babies. I can't think of Jackie Bradley Jr the same way after reading that he used unsuspecting Red Sox PR staff to set up an ambush of Eck for some whiny Instagram post.

Then that plunking bullshit with the Orioles and Pedroia with his "It's not me" act was a failure of leadership in so many ways. To my knowledge, Price still hasn't apologized for his tantrum on the plane. He said, something like a month after the incident, that he was waiting for a good opportunity to talk in person or some bullshit like that. Eck, to his credit, said he wasn't interested in setting up a meeting.

Eck is my favorite baseball color guy. Just a little bit wacky, entertaining, great analysis, and not afraid to call out poor performance or dumb behavior. I'm glad the fans gave him extra applause while the Price drama was going on.

I try to avoid referring to Price by name, if I were in Boston I'd probably call him buyer's remorse. It's sad when a team, any team really doesn't have a leader in the clubhouse. Eck is a class act.

12 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I try to avoid referring to Price by name, if I were in Boston I'd probably call him buyer's remorse. It's sad when a team, any team really doesn't have a leader in the clubhouse. Eck is a class act.

At this point I hope Price gets such relentless abuse that he opts out after his third year, but if he's got a bum elbow I guess he'll just hang out here to cash checks and tweet about his existential crises and hurt feelings for the next half decade.

Fucking Christ. Everyone knew he'd be a bad fit in Boston, but they had to have a "premium" pitcher, so here we are.

Speaking of whiny pitchers though, what's wrong with bunting?

14 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

At this point I hope Price gets such relentless abuse that he opts out after his third year, but if he's got a bum elbow I guess he'll just hang out here to cash checks and tweet about his existential crises and hurt feelings for the next half decade.

Fucking Christ. Everyone knew he'd be a bad fit in Boston, but they had to have a "premium" pitcher, so here we are.

Speaking of whiny pitchers though, what's wrong with bunting?

I couldn't tell you, I think making a pitcher with a bum knee field a bunt is damn smart baseball. If he dropped a bunt to break up a no-hitter I might be more sympathetic.

10 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Astros get Verlander.  Great pickup for their run this year, but he is signed for two more years at $28 million.  The initial report does not say Detroit ate any of that money.  Quite an investment by Houston, has to make their players feel good.

ETA:  Just saw Detroit traded Upton to the Angels.  He can opt out after the season, but he has 4 years and $88 million left on his deal.  Quite a good day for the Tigers in purging all that money as they head to a rebuild.

I believe Detroit sent $10 million to the Astros as well. Still a lot of money for Crane and co to take on, but it's October or bust at this point. Astros have every opportunity to bounce back after their 11-17 August. Correa and McCullers returning can't hurt either! For Houston!

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Love the Eck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KC2__SfBks (Eck 'cameo')

When he first really started to do color for the Sox (IIRC around then) - Toucher and Rich (98.5) had a pretty hilarious bit about an Eck tv series. Eckersley as a private detective solving mysteries and in his down-time he'd just be waxing his muscle car in short-shorts. I don't know why, but that image just struck me as hilarious -- would definitely watch.

5 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Best comment I saw on the Deadspin article was something to the effect of: this is great, because Houston needs all the motorboaters it can get.

This was posted 5 hours ago, and as yet no Wedding Crashers meme. Has anyone heard from Many lately? Is he ok?

51 minutes ago, Week said:

Love the Eck.

When he first really started to do color for the Sox (IIRC around then) - Toucher and Rich (98.5) had a pretty hilarious bit about an Eck tv series. Eckersley as a private detective solving mysteries and in his down-time he'd just be waxing his muscle car in short-shorts. I don't know why, but that image just struck me as hilarious -- would definitely watch.

My mother-in-law would learn how to use a DVR if that show existed.

Anyone looking to complain about how their baseball team is operating, please read the statement by Pirates GM Neil Huntington in the linked article, concerning giving away a quality bullpen arm for absolutely fucking free. This is a pure salary dump to save $600,000. The fucking penny pinching by the Pirates has reached epic proportions, and at least it's finally getting some national press. What a fucking travesty of a franchise.

20 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Anyone looking to complain about how their baseball team is operating, please read the statement by Pirates GM Neil Huntington in the linked article, concerning giving away a quality bullpen arm for absolutely fucking free. This is a pure salary dump to save $600,000. The fucking penny pinching by the Pirates has reached epic proportions, and at least it's finally getting some national press. What a fucking travesty of a franchise.

Different kind of frustration: the Jays are hitting .222 on the year with RISP.

In the AL.

My entire fucking team hits like pitchers with runners in scoring position. And yet we won't commit to a rebuild because the last 2 years got the joint jumping and they don't want to dry the cash cow until it gets Milk fever and dies of natural causes. So we're aiming for limbo, and still managing to fall short. Two-twenty-fucking-two.

4 hours ago, Week said:

Love the Eck.

We have to have a naming contest for this imaginary show. I'm going to go with The Eck Files.

Archived