MLB 2017: The House That Bones Built

Myshkin

On 8/20/2017 at 2:18 PM, Myshkin said:

Guess what, everyone knows that the postseason is a crapshoot. Doesn't mean we Dodger fans can't enjoy this historic run for what it is. 

Was talking with a buddy at work who is a lifelong Dodger's fan about their chances at breaking 116. It looks like they's have to win 30 of their last 40 here to get to 117. As much as I hate to admit it, that might not be impossible at this point. 

14 hours ago, kairparavel said:

As for our heroes The Dodgers as Evil Empire, that's adorable.

Anyways. Go ahead and hate on the Dodgers. Is it because they finally have a balanced starting rotation, which they pretty much had before Darvish? [...]

No, it's because they have a payroll approaching $260 million.  When the Yanks won 4 of 5 series, no one cared that they developed a home-grown core with Jeter, Mo, Pettite, Posada, and Williams.  No one cared that most of the effective additions like Paulie, Tino, Cone, etc. were done without much leverage from the financial advantage.  They only cared about the payroll of the Evil Empire.  And the Dodgers now have, by far, the highest payroll in baseball.  So, own it.

I hadn't realized I was required to answer for anything. But I guess I could try to give an answer to the accusation that the Dodgers are spending too much money. Here goes, I'll try not to deflect:

1) I don't give a shit how much money the Dodgers spend. Because, and this is important, it's not my fucking money.

2) The Dodgers have won the division four years running. During a rebuild. I bet every team and fan base in MLB wish they had the cash and smarts to dominate while also rebuilding.

3) The Dodgers haven't dropped shit tons of money on aging free agents; they've eaten shit tons of dead money in order to acquire and keep good young talent. I think that's fucking brilliant.

4) Complaining about how much the other guys are spending is little more than excuse making. The Giants are spending $40 million more than the Rockies and $80 million more than the D-backs, but I don't see the those teams complaining. Hell, even the Padres aren't complaining, despite spent over $100 million less than the Giants.

5) There's no fan in baseball that wouldn't be happy to see their team spend gobs of cash to dominate the league. You just jelly, own it.

As a Pirates fan, I'm going to side with Myshkin on this. I'd kill to have an owner who would actually spend some fucking money to maintain a winning team, not trumpet the fact that they won for three years (with 20 straight losing seasons before that) with a payroll under $100 million like it's some great accomplishment, then turn around and not try to improve the team at all in order to maintain, and I quote, "financial flexibility". The Yanks and Giants are both in the top 6 in payroll, try being at 25. It fucking blows. When there are rumblings about your team trading your all star 2nd baseman in the offseason because he'll be making too much next year (like $8 million), come talk to me...

18 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I hadn't realized I was required to answer for anything. But I guess I could try to give an answer to the accusation that the Dodgers are spending too much money. Here goes, I'll try not to deflect:

1) I don't give a shit how much money the Dodgers spend. Because, and this is important, it's not my fucking money.

2) The Dodgers have won the division four years running. During a rebuild. I bet every team and fan base in MLB wish they had the cash and smarts to dominate while also rebuilding.

3) The Dodgers haven't dropped shit tons of money on aging free agents; they've eaten shit tons of dead money in order to acquire and keep good young talent. I think that's fucking brilliant.

4) Complaining about how much the other guys are spending is little more than excuse making. The Giants are spending $40 million more than the Rockies and $80 million more than the D-backs, but I don't see the those teams complaining. Hell, even the Padres aren't complaining, despite spent over $100 million less than the Giants.

5) There's no fan in baseball that wouldn't be happy to see their team spend gobs of cash to dominate the league. You just jelly, own it.

I don't even know how to respond to this at this point, so here's a picture of the Greatest Dog Halloween Costume Ever Created By Man.

funny-monkeys-box-bananas-costume-dog-1_

25 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I don't even know how to respond to this at this point, so here's a picture of the Greatest Dog Halloween Costume Ever Created By Man.

funny-monkeys-box-bananas-costume-dog-1_

It's probably perfect symmetry that that link just lead to a screen asking me to update my 3rd party account credit.

The thing is, the Dodgers have had the highest payroll on starting day the past 4 years. Before that? Yeah. For how long? Yeah.

Fourteen years. 

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

And this from the year that the Orioles actually tried to buy a championship and failed. Miserably.

• The 1998 Baltimore Orioles season marks the last time a team other than the New York Yankees had the highest payroll in baseball.

Or the Marlins?

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/gvapxy/throwback-thursday-when-the-florida-marlins-burned-down-a-world-series-champion

Anyhoo. Let's see how it ends this season. 

4 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Number 3 is quite a bit intellectually dishonest, and demonstrates how rich teams do use their financial advantage.  Other than that, it's refreshing to see another team admit to this argument.  That's all.

42 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Number 3 is quite a bit intellectually dishonest, and demonstrates how rich teams do use their financial advantage.  Other than that, it's refreshing to see another team admit to this argument.  That's all.

I never said they weren't taking advantage of their financial situation; I said I liked the way they were doing it.

On 8/20/2017 at 10:18 AM, kairparavel said:

Is it because you can't say anything bad about Dave Roberts?

Just wanted to point out that I was defending Dave Roberts last season when Gobbo was giving him a rash of shit. When you guys signed that guy I knew it was going to be trouble for the rest of the West. Big upgrade over Donny Baseball, methinks.

I've stopped complaining about how much money other teams spend, but I will mock them for bad contracts. And I feel no shame for how much my team spends. Funnily enough this year Sox ownership seem to have told Dombrowski to keep it below the luxury tax line.

*cough* Rick Porcello, Pablo Sandoval, Hanley Ramirez, David Price *cough*.  Excuse me.  Yes, the new CBA has made constant and especially high payrolls over the luxury tax untenable.  The richest of the rich will need to adapt.  This may be a good thing for hating on owners and really rich teams, but it's actually a horrible thing for players getting their fair share.

1 minute ago, dmc515 said:

*cough* Rick Porcello, Pablo Sandoval, Hanley Ramirez, David Price *cough*.  Excuse me.  Yes, the new CBA has made constant and especially high payrolls over the luxury tax untenable.  The richest of the rich will need to adapt.  This may be a good thing for hating on owners and really rich teams, but it's actually a horrible thing for players getting their fair share.

Eh, I'm having trouble generating tears here. Or are you being sarcastic? Sandoval is getting 50 mill to sit on his fat ass and stuff his face with El Pastor.

Archived