MLB 2017: The House That Bones Built

Myshkin

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

But seriously, what the fuck Betances? It sure would've been nice to take a series from our recent nemesis. 

Sevy vs. Fiers today, still got a shot!  Plus hopefully both Judge and Sanchez will be in the lineup.

7 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Sevy vs. Fiers today, still got a shot!  Plus hopefully both Judge and Sanchez will be in the lineup.

I just got home and Fiers is out after 4 innings with a 105 pitch count...up 5-0. Wtf. 

6 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I just got home and Fiers is out after 4 innings with a 105 pitch count...up 5-0. Wtf. 

Yeah, that was really bizarre. 

What a day by Mookie though! According to ESPN his 8 RBIs are tied for the most by a leadoff hitter since RBI became a stat in 1920. 

4 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

For Yanks Fans: 27 years ago today, Andy Hawkins throws the worst no-hitter EVAR...

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/1/8841355/andy-hawkins-no-hitter-yankees-white-sox?ICID=ref_fark

I remember that happening. The early 90's were dark times for us. 

Judge is in for the derby. Him and Stanton should put on a show.

4 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I remember that happening. The early 90's were dark times for us. 

Judge is in for the derby. Him and Stanton should put on a show.

I'm hoping for a Judge/Bellinger show down. That would be epic. 

There's a lot to unpack with this lawsuit. First there's the apparent personal aspect between Hernandez and Torre, and Hernadez's performance reviews. I can't speak to any of it as I don't know any ump's name outside of Jim Joyce, and we all know his crime. Anyways, I found this article from 4 years ago that is pretty damning against Hernandez. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/angel-hernandez-was-a-bad-umpire-in-the-minors-20-years-ago-too/

So good luck to him proving that. The other, more general part of the suit is something worth paying attention to. I'm trying to find some data on MLB umpires.

All of that specific background flows into the suit’s more general claims about racial discrimination. Hernandez says that since 2000, none of the 23 umpires who have been made crew chiefs have been minorities. Since Torre took over, all 10 of the umpires who have been promoted to crew chief have been white. Hernandez personally has applied for permanent crew chief status on four different occasions since 2011 and has been passed over each time.

Along with the stats about crew chiefs, Hernandez says that of the 36 possible umpire spots for the six World Series of Torre’s tenure, only two of those have gone to a minority: both to Mexican umpire Alfonso Marquez in 2011 and 2015.

That was from a Deadspin article about the suit.

46 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

I saw this a few days ago and it is a pretty touching story. I hope that I would react like John did if ever in a similar situation. 

So Tanaka seems to be turning it around but Chapman looked like shit again. It's gonna be a ugly 2nd half if him and Betances keep struggling, and of course the sawks are red hot also.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

I saw this a few days ago and it is a pretty touching story. I hope that I would react like John did if ever in a similar situation. 

I would hope I would too. I lived in Pburgh 15 years ago and I have only fuzzy memories of the bridge. I walked over it a couple of times to get to PNC Park and Heinz Field but I don't even know how high over the river it is. Which I guess is irrelevant if someone is in distress. And perhaps can't swim or the current is strong. 

On my walk to Heinz Field I narrowly missed pushing someone into the Allegheny by accident. I guess we were walking too slow for the person behind us and he cut to my left while I was wildly gesticulating during conversation.

10 hours ago, kairparavel said:

There's a lot to unpack with this lawsuit. First there's the apparent personal aspect between Hernandez and Torre, and Hernadez's performance reviews. I can't speak to any of it as I don't know any ump's name outside of Jim Joyce, and we all know his crime. Anyways, I found this article from 4 years ago that is pretty damning against Hernandez. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/angel-hernandez-was-a-bad-umpire-in-the-minors-20-years-ago-too/

So good luck to him proving that. The other, more general part of the suit is something worth paying attention to. I'm trying to find some data on MLB umpires.

That was from a Deadspin article about the suit.

Generally speaking the only umpires with name recognition are the bad ones. Angel Hernandez has name recognition. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that the league office is racially biased when it comes to umpire assignments and promotions. The MLB as an institution is racially biased.

ETA: Kair, you telling me you never heard of "Cowboy" Joe West?

40 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Generally speaking the only umpires with name recognition are the bad ones. Angel Hernandez has name recognition. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that the league office is racially biased when it comes to umpire assignments and promotions. The MLB as an institution is racially biased.

ETA: Kair, you telling me you never heard of "Cowboy" Joe West?

Yeah, his name came up a lot as a terrible umpire as well while I was reading stuff earlier. I was like, ah him. But I couldn't have pulled his name out of the air if needed otherwise.

Archived