MLB 2017: The House That Bones Built

Myshkin

16 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Frazier's walk-off was a very bright light during very dark times.  Was a double away from a cycle today too.  Looks like we may have a third Baby Bomber to add to the ranks, with Torres' ETA being around a year from now hopefully.  With Didi, Hicks, and (maybe) Castro as support, that's quite a lineup, and a sustainable one.  Just wish one of the kids was a lefty.  Relatedly, also wish Bird didn't appear to be the second coming of Nick Johnson in terms of chronically injured.

Yeah, exciting times! Despite overachieving early this team just has too many holes to really contend this year, but watching these youngsters progress and moments like yesterday has been fun to watch. Nice to see Betances look competent also.

It is starting to get ugly with Bird though. People are starting to call him out on his heart already. They can't find anything wrong with his ankle but he looks doubtful to return this year at all. Just a confusing situation. I guess they just gotta keep giving Ji-man at-bats. Can't be any worse than Chris fucking Carter.

ETA: I'm intrigued by Mondesi being crazy but couldn't find anything in a brief search. Any details about this?

5 hours ago, Myshkin said:

It wasn't getting fat that derailed Mondesi's career; it was the fact that he is insane. Like for real, he's a crazy person. And also the mayor of a town in the D.R.

ETA: Nomo's signing doesn't bear much resemblance to how international signings are done these days. If nothing else the Dodgers should be given credit for opening the doors for Japanese players in the MLB.

Huh, I didn't realize he had mental issues.

Yeah, you have to give the Dodger's credit for opening up the Pacific Market there. On top of that you could probably make the argument that they've been better at it than any other club, with both Nomo and Chan Ho Park being notable additions.

8 hours ago, Myshkin said:

ETA: Nomo's signing doesn't bear much resemblance to how international signings are done these days. If nothing else the Dodgers should be given credit for opening the doors for Japanese players in the MLB.

That's true.  Matsuzaka was the one that changed things.  It's still essentially an auction though, only now there's limits until you're 25.

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

It is starting to get ugly with Bird though. People are starting to call him out on his heart already. They can't find anything wrong with his ankle but he looks doubtful to return this year at all. 

That's the New York media for ya - let's attack a kid when he's down!  Sounds like he may have to get surgery on that ankle.

3 hours ago, dmc515 said:

That's true.  Matsuzaka was the one that changed things.  It's still essentially an auction though, only now there's limits until you're 25.

It wasn't really an auction for Nomo. Nobody other than the Dodgers was seriously interested in him, and there was no mechanism at all in place for Japanese players to come to the MLB. Nomo actually had to officially retire from the NPB in order to come to the MLB. That really pissed the NPB off, and was the impetus for developing the old posting system.

Also, I may have overstated Mondesi's craziness. I didn't mean to suggest that he had a diagnosable mental illness, only that the problems that derailed his career weren't physical, but rather mental. 

Speaking of Nomo, he's still the only pitcher to ever throw a no-hitter at Coors Field. That's relevant right now for reasons I won't mention, because I'm not a jerk. 

So it's the All-Star break, which means it's time to take stock. The season so far has been a fairly surprising one, and yet we still have the preseason favorites leading 5 of the 6 divisions. The Dodgers and Astros are having historically good seasons, and both are doing it while battling significant injuries. The Giants are having a historically bad season, and it can't all be blamed on Madison Shitkicker's fondness for crashing dirt bikes (but still, come on guy). The Brewers are sitting on a fairly substantial lead in the NL Central, mostly because of how terrible the rest of that division is. The defending world champion Cubs are tied with the awful Cards for 2nd in the Central, with both sitting 2 games under .500. To put that in perspective, that's only a 1/2 game better than the Braves. The Nats have the NL East well in hand, but while they are a good team, their lead has as much to do with the spectacular collapse of the Mets as anything else. The NL West boasts 3 of the top 5 teams in the NL, and it's a fair bet that all of them will make the playoffs. Over in the AL the aforementioned 'Stros are cruising in a thoroughly mediocre West, while the Indians are holding on to the Central despite not being near as good as everyone thought they'd be. In the East the Sawks are finally starting to live up to expectations, while the Yanks are proving to be not quite as good as they looked about a month ago. Still they're a fun team to watch. All in all, while most of the division leaders are who we thought they'd be, the season so far has still been packed with surprises.

My first half award winners:

AL

ROY: Aaron Judge

CY: Chris Sale

MVP: Aaron Judge

NL

ROY: Cody Bellinger

CY: Max Scherzer (that was hard to say)

MVP: Paul Goldschmidt

2 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I hear the Yankees want to make a deal for him. 

Yep that's one of the rumors that's out there.  Seems as if he'll be pretty tough to pry away, especially considering how cheap he is going forward.

On 7/9/2017 at 8:10 PM, Myshkin said:

My first half award winners:

AL

ROY: Aaron Judge

CY: Chris Sale

MVP: Aaron Judge

NL

ROY: Cody Bellinger

CY: Max Scherzer (that was hard to say)

MVP: Paul Goldschmidt

Near impossible to legitly disagree with any of those.

Anyway, that Derby was something to watch, at least the first round.  All four matchups went down to the wire.  Seemed like everyone but Judge ran out of gas after that, kinda wish Stanton was still around.

37 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Yep that's one of the rumors that's out there.  Seems as if he'll be pretty tough to pry away, especially considering how cheap he is going forward.

Yankees were linked with him like in May and his production hasn't dipped so the price is that much higher now. Marlins will probably want a laughable amount so I don't really see much to this, but it would be great to have that swing in the Bronx.

ETA: The only debatable award so far would probably be Kershaw or Scherzer. Both their numbers are pretty absurd with Max being slightly better but Clayton is 14-2 while Max is only 10-5. We all know Nats bullpen is deplorable though and win/loss is basically useless, besides being a tiebreaker maybe, but it is close.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yankees were linked with him like in May and his production hasn't dipped so the price is that much higher now. Marlins will probably want a laughable amount so I don't really see much to this, but it would be great to have that swing in the Bronx.

Yeah I don't think he's worth the price, at least in terms of allocation of resources.  They have enough offense coming back soon - Holliday already started a rehab assignment and Castro shouldn't be far behind.  They should focus their "careful buying" on pitching, and maybe picking up a 1st baseman at a cheaper price since it is a black hole.  But they can do all that without giving up top prospects - there's still plenty of non-top prospect depth that they frankly need to utilize, considering the coming 40 man roster crunch.

Cano winning the All-star game was pretty cool, though that was overshadowed by by the hilarity of Yankees fans pretending like the fact he was once a Yankee is the most important thing, and how it overshadows the fact that he is playing for the M's.

Archived