U.S. Politics-Getting a Handel On Why the DNC Is Pissing Ossof

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Couldn't he just reissue the order? Seems to me that the length of time is arbitrary. 

Well, sure, he can reissue as many orders as he wants.  However, if the court strikes down any aspects of such orders in October, that sets a standard (precedent) that would enable any complainants to get an immediate injunction if the order violates SCOTUS' decision.  That's why I was saying the court may be hinting to the administration to just revise the order accordingly, then they'll toss out the case due to mootness.

22 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Well, sure, he can reissue as many orders as he wants.  However, if the court strikes down any aspects of such orders in October, that sets a standard (precedent) that would enable any complainants to get an immediate injunction if the order violates SCOTUS' decision.  That's why I was saying the court may be hinting to the administration to just revise the order accordingly, then they'll toss out the case due to mootness.

I get that. My point is that there's nothing in place to make the ban temporary, so long as the Supreme Court upholds it. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I get that. My point is that there's nothing in place to make the ban temporary, so long as the Supreme Court upholds it. 

Actually, the ban is temporary, he will need to issue another order to make it permanent.  From Section 1(f) of the March (revised) order:

(f)  In light of the conditions in these six countries, until the assessment of current screening and vetting procedures required by section 2 of this order is completed, the risk of erroneously permitting entry of a national of one of these countries who intends to commit terrorist acts or otherwise harm the national security of the United States is unacceptably high.  Accordingly, while that assessment is ongoing, I am imposing a temporary pause on the entry of nationals from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen, subject to categorical exceptions and case-by-case waivers, as described in section 3 of this order.

Second Minimum Wage Increase in a year Seems to have backfired a bit for Seattle...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/seattles-minimum-wage-hike-may-have-gone-too-far/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/Low wage workers receiving less hours and unemployment is up 

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Second Minimum Wage Increase in a year Seems to have backfired a bit for Seattle...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/seattles-minimum-wage-hike-may-have-gone-too-far/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/Low wage workers receiving less hours and unemployment is up 

Yep, though there are a lot of caveats to it, but it looks at least for now as if this isn't so awesome for the non-restaurant workers. 

My suspicion is that this is still overall a good thing, as living on an underemployment wage with no benefits effectively hides the problem, and while fewer are employed (especially teenagers) the ones who are employed are doing much, much better. 

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yep, though there are a lot of caveats to it, but it looks at least for now as if this isn't so awesome for the non-restaurant workers. 

My suspicion is that this is still overall a good thing, as living on an underemployment wage with no benefits effectively hides the problem, and while fewer are employed (especially teenagers) the ones who are employed are doing much, much better. 

Yeah, the study is preliminary, and probably somewhat incomplete, but the early returns don't look promising.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, the study is preliminary, and probably somewhat incomplete, but the early returns don't look promising.

Well, there's another study which states at least in the restaurant area there is no evidence of this being an issue and is all a good thing. Which makes me really wonder what the difference is between restaurant and non-restaurant work. It's also interesting that $11 was fine, but $13 is apparently where it really gets difficult.

That said, I know anecdotally a number of these failure points, and they kind of piss me off. One, for instance, was a consignment place that was managed by an absentee slumlord type, who routinely hired teenage girls to work there for cheap - and that was his business model. I'm not super sad to see those kind of things go. 

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Well, there's another study which states at least in the restaurant area there is no evidence of this being an issue and is all a good thing. Which makes me really wonder what the difference is between restaurant and non-restaurant work. It's also interesting that $11 was fine, but $13 is apparently where it really gets difficult.

That said, I know anecdotally a number of these failure points, and they kind of piss me off. One, for instance, was a consignment place that was managed by an absentee slumlord type, who routinely hired teenage girls to work there for cheap - and that was his business model. I'm not super sad to see those kind of things go. 

I think maybe that was the problem with restaurant work, in that they could get away with hiring servers for even less than minimum wage, due to tips and whatnot.

I agree with you that this is probably still an overall net positive, at least for those who are employed. I'd rather work less hours for more per hour, as I could make that up as that time is mine. I guess the key point will be how many jobs this costs ultimately. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

And meanwhile in bizarro world:

"he colluded or obstructed" - the fuck does this even mean?  

His twitter and speeches make absolutely no sense. They generally seem to be his way of signalling through repetition of words that are referential to his base (e.g. BENGHAZI, RUSSIA, UNMASKED, LEAKED) though they may be illogical or nonsense in context. His aim seems to be solely communicating to supporters where:

1) Trump twits a tweet

2) Trump supporters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl2W85KKzgc 

3) Trump supporters: ANGER, SUPPORT, AND DISBELIEF

4) Trump: Not as SAD!

59 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I think maybe that was the problem with restaurant work, in that they could get away with hiring servers for even less than minimum wage, due to tips and whatnot.

I agree with you that this is probably still an overall net positive, at least for those who are employed. I'd rather work less hours for more per hour, as I could make that up as that time is mine. I guess the key point will be how many jobs this costs ultimately. 

The real problem with restaurants is that people are ordering in and getting street food and staying at their desks / computers / televisions so much.  Just as actual supermarkets are having trouble because the number of people who eat all their meals either already prepared or ordering online, so are the restaurants.  Lunch trade is nearly gone.  Dinner trade is -- iffy and undependable -- the competition is off the hook, everywhere, in every city.  Breakfast is the only growth area, and that's for places that make breakfast that people pick up and take out.  it's all take out and order online now, like everything else.

Why yes, I recently heard a long report on this on NPR.

As for the minimum wage hike's effect, the results are different depending on whose report it is.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2017/06/21/73122/what-can-los-angeles-learn-from-seattle-s-higher-m/

Quick addendum to a little back and forth that occurred here a couple of weeks back regarding a Vox article that OGE posted about Charles Murray, mostly referencing a podcast interview that Sam Harris conducted with Murray. Here's the initial article...

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/5/18/15655638/charles-murray-race-iq-sam-harris-science-free-speech

Then an addended response article to answer criticisms that toned down the rhetoric somewhat...

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/6/15/15797120/race-black-white-iq-response-critics

And the piece by Richard Haier that seemed to prompt the addended response...

http://quillette.com/2017/06/21/vox-goes-junk-no-good-thats-bit-intelligent-progress/

Thought some of the folks involved in the initial conversation might be interested in an update of sorts.

What concerns me is there is no funding and staff for the upcoming census.

The repugs want it this way.  According to the recently resigned Census director, John H. Thompson, they've gone as far in voter repression for their side with gerrymandering.  They don't want new and other information about the latest population changes to change that.

Even rabid secessionist - confederate,J. D. B.Debow, total stat wonk, who did the last census prior to secession, was appalled by the mess the previous censuses had been, and worked assiduously to correct the mess (successfully -- which worked well for, among others, Sherman, during the war). He correctly insisted that no effective governance can take place, no future planning, without such information, and as accurate as possible.

As much chaos and ignorance as possible!

11 minutes ago, Zorral said:

What concerns me is there is no funding and staff for the upcoming census.

The repugs want it this way.  According to the recently resigned Census director, John H. Thompson, they've gone as far in voter repression for their side with gerrymandering.  They don't want new and other information about the latest population changes to change that.

Even rabid secessionist - confederate,J. D. B.Debow, total stat wonk, who did the last census prior to secession, was appalled by the mess the previous censuses had been, and worked assiduously to correct the mess (successfully -- which worked well for, among others, Sherman, during the war). He correctly insisted that no effective governance can take place, no future planning, without such information, and as accurate as possible.

As much chaos and ignorance as possible!

Yup. Accurate stats = inconvenient facts.  

CBO: Senate GOP healthcare bill would increase number of uninsured by 22 million
15 million more people would be uninsured by next year.

This is probably going to be quite a hurdle for McConnell to overcome in the near future. (EDIT: Okay, somehow I managed to overlook that that's exactly what the brief 'article' from the link says. But it's true. Very little room for error and quite a few senators on the fence, even excluding the ones that have already come out against it.)

Archived