'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof on HBO {SPOILERS FROM PAGE 8}

AncalagonTheBlack

DC Comics favorite Watchmen may be headed for the small screen.

Fresh off of critical favorite The Leftovers, Damon Lindelof is in talks for a potential Watchmen TV series for HBO. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the project is in the early development stages. An official deal is not yet in place. Representatives for HBO and producers Warner Bros. Television declined comment.  

Lindelof originally read the comics as a kid in the 1980s and has said that the series continues to influence his work. "From the flashbacks to the nonlinear storytelling to the deeply flawed heroes, these are all elements that I try to put into everything I write," he told Comic Book Resources in 2009 ahead of the feature-film take.

Snyder, who directed the 2009 feature-film adaptation of Alan Moore's beloved comic series, is no longer attached to the drama project from Warner Bros. Television, where both DC Entertainment and Lindelof are housed. 

6 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

But

I guess a weekly dose of sex and violence superhero style will be their next big GOT. It's not like anyone has really done that style of superhero despite the potential fanbase.

I just scratch my head a little at how they could have took advantage of the GRRM name and done wild cards which seems to have more potential as a tv show. Plus "Superheroes by the network and author that brought you GOT" seems easier to market than "based on that superhero film that wasn't that successful 10 years ago"

7 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

It would be something of an event if they could make it good enough that Alan Moore will actually like it.

Eta:

Actually, it might be something of an event if he actually watches the first episode.

Alan Moore live tweeting during S1E1 of Watchmen on HBO would be a sure sign of the apocalypse. But worth it.

16 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Loved Lost, loved The Leftovers, I'm down for this.

I really need to watch "the Leftovers" as I'd like to love Damon Lindelof again. The end of "lost" all of "prometheus" and the stupidity of "Into Darkness" makes it hard for me not to think he's a common factor.

42 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Very interested in this series. I really liked some parts of the 2009 film and am definitely intrigued to see this work translated to series form.

a 12 part maxi-series could work. They could even include the pirate story. My concern is that they'll want to turn this into 5-7 seasons. This might mean including "before Watchmen" which was pretty badly received with the exception of Darwyn Cooke's "minutemen". Obviously the showrunners could invent their own material and given the reception of the additional comics that's probably a safer option.

Maybe the first season will actually be set in the early days? Although given Lindelof's "lost" connection I guess everyone is assuming a split narrative with the past and present occurring alongside each other.

• 2 months later...

Pilot and backup scripts ordered:

http://deadline.com/2017/09/watchmen-hbo-pilot-order-damon-lindelof-backup-scripts-1202174167/

I don't, personally, get why THIS is the thing HBO wants done, or why Lindelof wants to do it after he did such a fine job with THE LEFTOVERS (which, yes, started as an adaptation and was done in collaboration with the original author, but Lindelof really had a lot of room to extrapolate and create his own story within that frame; it's almost sacrilegious to suggest doing that with WATCHMEN).

Am I the only one who loved the movie?....lol

I think that HBO is feeling the heat of competition... for a long time they were head and shoulders above everyone else with their quality of programming... When they ere making the Sopranos, and the Wire, there was nothing that good anywhere else on TV.... now Netflix, Amazon and Starz are playing in the same league... even basic cable has upped the game... 

So now after a lull --when Game of Thrones was their only really big hit-- after a failed Vinyl, they've gone gone back-to back with Westworld and the Deuce.... I don;t think they'd choose this property without careful consideration...

25 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

So now after a lull --when Game of Thrones was their only really big hit-- after a failed Vinyl, they've gone gone back-to back with Westworld and the Deuce.... I don;t think they'd choose this property without careful consideration...

Yeah but going to Watchmen when there are so many great comic properties they could be adapting if they want to go that route shows a failure of imagination.

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah but going to Watchmen when there are so many great comic properties they could be adapting if they want to go that route shows a failure of imagination.

Good point... there are certainly a shit ton of other properties that could --and should-- be developed... sometimes getting the rights can be a problem... for instance... 100 Bullets --to my knowledge-- belongs to Tom Hardy... sometimes being able ti make the deal can be the determining factor

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

Am I the only one who loved the movie?....lol

I think that HBO is feeling the heat of competition... for a long time they were head and shoulders above everyone else with their quality of programming... When they ere making the Sopranos, and the Wire, there was nothing that good anywhere else on TV.... now Netflix, Amazon and Starz are playing in the same league... even basic cable has upped the game... 

Nah, I did as well. 

The movie was pretty good. It captured the atmosphere of the comics well, made few changes and cut few things. All in all it was a pretty faithful and high-quality adaptation. And Snyder's best movie hands down.

Which, for me, is the problem. What could a tv show do better than that movie? Not that much imho. Otoh, it could make bigger changes and be much less faithful to the original work.

Archived