Any first hand accounts of professors indoctrinating students against conservatives?

chuck norris 42

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Cool.  Buenos Aires must have been awesome. :)  I went to Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina.

It was a blast, other than the having a machine gun shoved in your face part.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Good lord.  

Yeah, long story short, keep your passport on you at all times when traveling abroad. You never know when a bus is going to take you into a different country in a region with a lot of terrorism.

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I doubt you would be able to spot the lefts lack of humility or open-mindedness anyway. That the rise of the alt-right might be some sort of reaction to that sort of blindness I'm sure doesn't occur to you. 

The alt-right was always there. Conservatism was always there. What happened in the last forty-fifty years is that these groups started organising to increase their influence, because simply slowing down progress wasn't enough. Some of them received insane amounts of funding for the very purpose of winning political power.
My point is that it's fallacious to claim any conservative movement is a "reaction" to attitudes. The irreconciliable differences between social liberalism and conservatism were always there, half-forgotten and underestimated.
What some attitudes on the left did beget, was the absolute glee and spite that the alt-right is showing right now thanks to the success of Trumpism. But the narrative presenting conservatism as a "reaction" to liberal arrogance is basically false, if only because progressive gains always have had to be fought for.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

My point is that there is a level of indoctrination generally in our society / media that creates a very limited spectrum of what people are allowed to think.

This is true, but not as far as social liberal issues are concerned. If that were the case, Trump would never have won the election in the US, would he? It's ironic that you (or they) would try to frame conservatives as victims when they are gaining power in many Western countries.

If anything, the indoctrination clearly didn't work. Because it never existed to begin with. College professors may often hold liberal views but most of the time they try to convince with arguments and facts, not to indoctrinate. There is a big difference, and the failure to understand it is something that may be met with scorn.

My undergraduate degree was in engineering. I don’t think it’s possible to put a liberal or conservative spin on something like engineering subjects.

In the few liberal arts courses I took, I didn’t really notice any type of bias.

Like some other posters here, I grew up as moderate, maybe even slightly to the right of center. I started to shift more to the left as I got older, and I think my undergraduate education had little to do with it.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yep. I had two very conservative poli sci professors and several conservative business professors, and almost all of them either pushed conservative ideas or bashed liberal ones. Sometimes both.  

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Interesting.  May I ask where you went to Undergrad?

Same uni, same problem.  I had a Shakespeare professor spend most of a lecture talking about how great Bush and the war in Iraq were.  On the other hand, I had an African history professor who would actively shut down political discussions when they got too close to asking her opinion.  She said she'd be happy to discuss things away from her work, but that she couldn't get into it in the building, let alone during class time.

And she was an outright hippie.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Is nobody wandering if the attitudes displayed above ie ' Of course I hate conservatives and am liberal and left, I'm not an idiot' , aren't part of the reason that you have things like the alt-right and a big conservative over reaction. A little bit of humility and open mindedness might be helpful sometimes. 

You know though, as somebody that knows quite a few conservatives, and lives in a pretty conservative area of the country, I don’t really recall many conservatives I’ve encountered being all that “civil” when talking about liberals. 

In fact, I’d say it got to the point you weren’t even supposed to say you were a liberal because conservatives had been so successful at smearing that term. You were supposed to say that you were “progressive”. And that’s the reason, I don’t like the term and won’t use it. I can remember some of the expressions on conservative sorts of people’s faces when I told them I was liberal and didn’t try to beat around the bush with the term “progressive”.

The point here is, I really don’t care if conservative want to be more civil with liberals or not. But you know, when I fire right back at them and criticize many of their beliefs, I don’t want to hear any whining about it.

If you’re a conservative and you want to call me an asshole for being a liberal, that’s fine by me. Just don’t whine when I snark right back.

12 hours ago, dmc515 said:

That reminds me - when I first taught at a southern community college I was confronted with the fact some students did not view "the war of northern aggression" as a punchline.  And these were in classrooms that were about 66% minority.  It was then I felt the need to clarify that the civil war was about slavery.  So there ya go:  guilty of liberal indoctrination.

I guess you're being tongue in cheek, but indoctrination is a very strong word, it means acceptance of 'ideas' with no critical thinking allowed, this means lying is fundamental part of indoctrination.  'Liberals' who think lying is acceptable are guilty of indoctrinating, and they aren't liberals they are conservatives in liberal clothing.  
They have a weak frontal lobe like other conservatives, which is unable to lay down new thoughts within their limbic system, so all they have are base thoughts and drives.  Conservatives are selfish and untrustworthy, all because their frontal lobe is weak.

4 minutes ago, Traveller between Worlds said:

I guess you're being tongue in cheek, but indoctrination is a very strong word

Yes, I was being very tongue in cheek based on the title of the thread.

29 minutes ago, Traveller between Worlds said:

I guess you're being tongue in cheek, but indoctrination is a very strong word, it means acceptance of 'ideas' with no critical thinking allowed, this means lying is fundamental part of indoctrination.  'Liberals' who think lying is acceptable are guilty of indoctrinating, and they aren't liberals they are conservatives in liberal clothing.  
They have a weak frontal lobe like other conservatives, which is unable to lay down new thoughts within their limbic system, so all they have are base thoughts and drives.  Conservatives are selfish and untrustworthy, all because their frontal lobe is weak.

TbW,

So... Conservatives are less human than those on the Left?  You're claiming this as a biological certainty and don't see a problem with that?

5 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Open mindedness about what?  Climate change?  Evolution?  Yeah no, I'm not going to be 'open-minded' about basic science.

Tbf, that's only the American way of conservatism, I think. At least I can't think of any other major conservative party in the western world that goes to such lengths to deny climate change and evolution. Of course it says quite a bit about the state of the American civil society that the party that took the short bus to crazy town is getting elected.

I went to a fairly conservative institution. We had one professor that we called Communist C--- because he was somewhat critical of America in a history class my freshman year. There was a lot of anger in the student body against any professors that spoke against, for example, the war or Bush or whatever.

7 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Is nobody wandering if the attitudes displayed above ie ' Of course I hate conservatives and am liberal and left, I'm not an idiot' , aren't part of the reason that you have things like the alt-right and a big conservative over reaction. A little bit of humility and open mindedness might be helpful sometimes. 

Keep in mind this is a thread asking if a specific, conspiracy theory like, indoctrination has been observed. A thing that is supposed to be present in a setting that is conservative by nature, it is a while before one meets the cutting edge, most things we are taught are old ideas, interpretations and facts.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was a blast, other than the having a machine gun shoved in your face part.

The U of M can be a very tough place, especially when it comes to finding a parking spot.

10 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

The U of M can be a very tough place, especially when it comes to finding a parking spot.

That's nothing. You should see the blood sport that is trying to get a spot on the campus connector buses during the winter time. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's nothing. You should see the blood sport that is trying to get a spot on the campus connector buses during the winter time. 

I know...I....I just choose not to remember.   

I found a book not long after I left university showing students how to take advantage of liberal bias in university staff when writing essays and in tests. I cant find it now though. It was called "Little black book of essay writing" or something like that.

10 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Generally that is because most people here are left leaning and seem unaware that there is an issue. For me the right's attitudes are obvious, and have been for years. Its hardly worth saying ' Fox News is worthless' because that is there for everyone to see. 

Exactly what attitudes do you think the left leaning people on the board have a problem with. 

For example  If I made a post about the benefits of small  government I don't think anyone would casually dismiss me as a fool. 

Archived