Any first hand accounts of professors indoctrinating students against conservatives?

chuck norris 42

2 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I don't think this is even a conversation we'd be having except that under the modern tents of Liberal and Conservative, one party actively courts ignorance, both willful and otherwise, of science and fact, at an order of magnitude more than their opposing political body does.  The Right has been an enemy of science, the environment, and public health for decades so it's hardly a shocker that most people with a fraction of a post-high school education are going to have a liberal or progressive bias.  

+1

I got my Bachelors degree from Duke University in 1973.

I took Geology as my required science freshman year. It was a 2 semester sequence and I had different professors for the two classes. I loved the first term professor and his teaching style. The spring term, though, I thought the professor was extremely demeaning toward religion in general while he was discussing evolution. I wrote a rebuttal to some of his ideas as part of my final exam -- and then had to explain to the graduate student who actually graded the exam that no, I was NOT a fundamentalist and did accept the theory of natural selection myself, I just thought the professor was nasty. Of course that was so long ago I have no memory at all of exactly what the professor said and my 18 year old brain may have interpreted him as being more "indoctrinating" than he actually was.

I also took an ethics course in the Religion department while I was at Duke and wrote a paper where I supported American intervention in Vietnam. The professor wrote on the paper he handed back that I should think more deeply about the subject. Today I think he was right.

Those are the only two instances I can think of in my undergraduate career where I felt anything any "anti-conservative" bias from a professor.

My own career has been as a psychology professor. I am not very good at playing "devil's advocate" so don't use that teaching style very often, but I try very hard not to "indoctrinate" students. My job is to make sure students understand how scientific research is conducted in psychology and what the theories and findings of the field are, not to get them to "believe" them.

There was an Economics professor at the university I teach at who is quite conservative (he retired a few years ago.) I had students tell me he used to say in class that the reason the theories of John Maynard Keynes were wrong was because Keynes was a homosexual. That seemed like pretty blatant -- and illogical -- conservative indoctrination to me.

Archived