Why did Davos help Stannis?

I don't know if they really say it, or if so where, but I'm pretty sure it was just to score a profit and/or put Stannis in his debt. He was a smuggler looking to take advantage of the war like so many others. It paid off too. He parlayed that act and some finger bones he didn't really need into a pretty major come-up. 

It was for coin.

During Robert's rebellion, what brought a simple smuggler like Davos to take sides in the war by helping Stannis and the starving garrison at Storm's End?

(George laughs) Because he had onions! And so he thought to himself: "Where can I sell these at the best price? If I take them to King's Landing they'll pay me the price of onions, but i I take them to people duing of hunger they'd certainly pay me better."

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona/

According to his POV in the history and lore specials on the show, he had heard that the garrison of Storm's End was running out of provisions and had resorted to rats. He took pity on Stannis's situation and decided one day to load his ship up with onions and go directly to Storm's End to save Stannis and his men from starvation. I guess the same must have been in the books, he did it out of the kindness of his heart.

1 hour ago, Kaibaman said:

According to his POV in the history and lore specials on the show, he had heard that the garrison of Storm's End was running out of provisions and had resorted to rats. He took pity on Stannis's situation and decided one day to load his ship up with onions and go directly to Storm's End to save Stannis and his men from starvation. I guess the same must have been in the books, he did it out of the kindness of his heart.

If that is true, why not load up his ship with something more practical like bread? Nice quote @The Hoare.  That certainly makes more sense than anything else.

Archived