NHL: Offseason (Trades, UFA, Awards & the Draft)

Nictarion

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I'm so glad Jagr finally got a deal.

Same. He should break Gordie Howe's record for GP this year if he stays healthy. 

Super excited to see what kind of start the Devils get off to. I know it was only preseason, but they looked really good. Young, fast, scoring a ton of goals, and Nico Hischier looks like the real deal.

Got tickets for Avs - Rangers at the MSG. Was my first time seeing an NHL game in the flesh. It was fun and action-packed, and great to get to see a Norwegian being an actual star of an NHL team. Apart from Zucca and Zibanejad, though, the Rangers looked pretty unimpressive. Both their goals (and all of their good play) came in PP, and Avs just looked more incisive, switched-on and dangerous every time they were on the attack. 

Also, the constant barrage of ads, techno music and celeb spotting was weird as someone used to European football. It's weird to see athletes standing on the ice just waiting for a TV commercial to end before they resume play, and the silence after each piece of loudly blared music was embarrassing. I'm sure there are other hockey stadiums with louder and more energetic support than a blasé NY crowd, but still, I couldn't help but think that all the surrounding hype detracts from the actual sport. It feels much more like entertainment and less like a sporting competition. 

I also wanted to take a knee during the US national anthem, but being a foreigner and given the limited space on between the seats and the next row, I chickened out. 

All in all a fun night, though. 

On 10/11/2017 at 9:31 PM, Nictarion said:

The Devils young guns :wub:

Schneider is playing great as well. Stopped 47/50 against the Leafs tonight. This team hasn't been this fun to watch in years. 

Happy for you. Y’all look very exciting. 

Zetterburg is still pure quality. 

On 12.10.2017 at 4:51 AM, Mme Erzulie said:

I also wanted to take a knee during the US national anthem, but being a foreigner and given the limited space on between the seats and the next row, I chickened out. 

Wrong sport for that. Sorry, if I use a broad brush for that, but if I am not mistaken hockey fans in the US are rather conservative leaning (generally speaking). 
On a related note, the Pens did make that WH trip, that should be enough for me to hope they get flattened and sweeped by the Flyers this years.

Archived