What if Jon Arryn did as he was commanded?

The Commentator

Suppose Jon Arryn did as he was commanded and delivered the heads of Robert and Eddard to King Aerys II.  Rhaegar got Lyanna preggers and they had an offspring.  Lyanna dies in childbirth.  Listed below are my predictions of what will happen.  Please tell me which of my predictions you agree will happen and answer the questions that I have presented.  

• Benjen will be forced to join the Watch.  Which happened.
  • King Aerys II will disinherit Rhaegar and his entire line in favor of Prince Viserys.  Which he did do.  
  • Another House will be given supremacy over the North.  But which house?
  • Who will marry Catelyn and Lysa?  Does Petyr have a chance now?
  • Prince Viserys becomes the most sought-after bachelor in the world.  Who will marry him?
  • Princess Rhaenys and Prince Aegon are disinherited but they can still make valuable marriage alliances.  
  • Where will Rhaegar keep his bastard?
  • Will this have any effect on the King-Beyond-the-Wall and his plans?  If so, what effect?
  • Balon will silently fume but not rebel.  
  • King Aerys II continues to have the best Kingsguard in recent history.
  • Will Jon Arryn be rewarded for his loyalty?

I don't think that GRRM has given us enough information to answer many of these questions because this is not the story he wanted to tell.  I would venture that Rhaegar goes through with his plans to overthrow crazy Aerys probably with Lannister support.

Aerys would send a follow up raven demanding Jon Arryn send him his own head. Emboldened by this strategy Aerys would then start sending ravens to any Lord he was suspicious of demanding they send them their own heads because it worked with Jon Arryn. Then after Rhaella gives birth he betroths Daenerys to his heir Viserys.

5 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Suppose Jon Arryn did as he was commanded and delivered the heads of Robert and Eddard to King Aerys II.  Rhaegar got Lyanna preggers and they had an offspring.  Lyanna dies in childbirth.  Listed below are my predictions of what will happen.  Please tell me which of my predictions you agree will happen and answer the questions that I have presented.  

• King Aerys II will disinherit Rhaegar and his entire line in favor of Prince Viserys.  Which he did do.  
  • Prince Viserys becomes the most sought-after bachelor in the world.  Who will marry him?
  • Princess Rhaenys and Prince Aegon are disinherited but they can still make valuable marriage alliances.  
  • Will this have any effect on the King-Beyond-the-Wall and his plans?  If so, what effect?

The first things that I think would have happened would have been for the Vale to turn on Jon Arryn, and for new Lord Benjen to call his banners. Stannis inherits Storms End and marries one of the Tully girls. I doubt the huge "Robert's Rebellion" style civil war ever happens, though. I'm with those thinking Rhaegar goes through with his suspected plans to replace his father. 

• Benjen will be forced to join the Watch.  Which happened. He wasn't forced. As a 3rd (then 2nd) son, he chose.
  • King Aerys II will disinherit Rhaegar and his entire line in favor of Prince Viserys.  Which he did do.  When?
  • Another House will be given supremacy over the North.  But which house? The Starks aren't just stepping down. 
  • Who will marry Catelyn and Lysa?  Does Petyr have a chance now? Hoster still isn't marrying his girls to a nobody.
  • Prince Viserys becomes the most sought-after bachelor in the world.  Who will marry him? IF Aerys did make Viserys his heir, maybe he marries Dany.
  • Princess Rhaenys and Prince Aegon are disinherited but they can still make valuable marriage alliances.  Yeah, but only to someone who wants to use them to re-take the throne.
  • Where will Rhaegar keep his bastard? Of course.
  • Will this have any effect on the King-Beyond-the-Wall and his plans?  If so, what effect? Nope. Still just trying to escape the Others.
  • Balon will silently fume but not rebel.  Agree.
  • King Aerys II continues to have the best Kingsguard in recent history. Yes. But, again, I don't think he would remain King for long.
  • Will Jon Arryn be rewarded for his loyalty? Arryn would receive Aerys' support when the Vale lords rise up, but it wouldn't be enough.

11 minutes ago, Sambo Shaw said:
  • King Aerys II will disinherit Rhaegar and his entire line in favor of Prince Viserys.  Which he did do.  When?

Never in the ASOIAF series, it was mentioned in twoiaf along with Elia killing her children so it is highly unlikely that it has actually happened.

11 minutes ago, Sambo Shaw said:

The first things that I think would have happened would have been for the Vale to turn on Jon Arryn, and for new Lord Benjen to call his banners. Stannis inherits Storms End and marries one of the Tully girls. I doubt the huge "Robert's Rebellion" style civil war ever happens, though. I'm with those thinking Rhaegar goes through with his suspected plans to replace his father. 

• Benjen will be forced to join the Watch.  Which happened. He wasn't forced. As a 3rd (then 2nd) son, he chose.
  • Another House will be given supremacy over the North.  But which house? The Starks aren't just stepping down. 
  • Who will marry Catelyn and Lysa?  Does Petyr have a chance now? Hoster still isn't marrying his girls to a nobody.
  • Prince Viserys becomes the most sought-after bachelor in the world.  Who will marry him? IF Aerys did make Viserys his heir, maybe he marries Dany.
  • Princess Rhaenys and Prince Aegon are disinherited but they can still make valuable marriage alliances.  Yeah, but only to someone who wants to use them to re-take the throne.
  • Where will Rhaegar keep his bastard? Of course.
  • Will this have any effect on the King-Beyond-the-Wall and his plans?  If so, what effect? Nope. Still just trying to escape the Others.
  • Balon will silently fume but not rebel.  Agree.
  • King Aerys II continues to have the best Kingsguard in recent history. Yes. But, again, I don't think he would remain King for long.
  • Will Jon Arryn be rewarded for his loyalty? Arryn would receive Aerys' support when the Vale lords rise up, but it wouldn't be enough.

Aerys never did disinherit Rhaegar but he skipped over Aegon and named Viserys his heir. At least thats what TWoIaF tells us.

30 minutes ago, Sambo Shaw said:
  •  
3 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

Then Viserys will marry Dany.

Without the Rebellion there would had been no Dany.

1 minute ago, purple-eyes said:

Aerys would not stop sleeping with his wife. 

That doesn't mean that he would had produced a living child or that Rhaella would had survived. In any case since the Dany we know, was conceived during the Rebellion she wouldn’t had existed without the Rebellion.

6 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Well, let's see.

• Benjen would probably rebel himself. The North would agree with him, probably, as the King executing three Starks is an enormous affront to Northern pride. Someone else would probably lead the Northern forces though.
  • Hoster would probably sit the war out, or join Aerys, or Rhaegar (if he decides to rebel against his father). I just can't see Hoster rebelling without the Vale onside. So, instead of an estranged Lysa Hoster would have an estranged Catelyn, probably.
  • Jon Arryn would face problems. King's order or no, executing your wards would be considered extremely dishonourable. He might even face a rebellion (probably from lords like Bronze Yohn Royce).
  • The Stormlands would be furious. Their lord was executed for no crime. Stannis might find the choice between family and duty a tad easier once Robert's head reaches him.
  • 99% of the lords of Westeros would have to die before Baelish had a chance with a Tully
  • Rhaegar might be forced to rebel against his father. If he wants to have any chance of salvaging his relationship with Lyanna (somehow I doubt that relationship could ever be saved in these circumstances) he'll definitely have to.
  • So, there will probably be a Targaryen civil war. Tywin and Mace Tyrell would be the major power brokers, and they could swing the war either way.
  • I think Mance Rayder was still a NW member at that point.
  • Quellon Greyjoy was the Lord Reaper of Pyke, not Balon. He'd probably side with whomever was winning towards the end of the war.
  • The Kingsguard... Interesting point. Arthur Dayne was Rhaegar's best friend and Lewyn Martell would be fighting against his own family. Hard to say if they'd be divided or united.
  • Lyanna might survive, if she has proper medical care instead of giving birth in a tower in the middle of nowhere.

Basically, it'd be a right old mess, far more chaotic and troubled than the Rebellion and probably worse than TWot5K too.

3 hours ago, The Doctor's Consort said:

That doesn't mean that he would had produced a living child or that Rhaella would had survived. In any case since the Dany we know, was conceived during the Rebellion she wouldn’t had existed without the Rebellion.

the point is that Aerys is obviously able to produce a living female child with his wife. Even if there is no rebellion, he and Rhaella will still have sex at some point. You could say this child is a totally different Dany, but rebellion is not a prerequisite for the birth of Dany. 

By the way, Aerys raped Rhaella after he burned that hand of king. if there is no rebellion, Aerys will still likely burn somebody at some point. 

10 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

• Benjen will be forced to join the Watch.  Which happened.  Benjen will be obligated to become head of the family even if the Starks become nothing but beggars after Aerys removes them from power and take away their status as noble.
  • King Aerys II will disinherit Rhaegar and his entire line in favor of Prince Viserys.  Which he did do.  Agree
  • Another House will be given supremacy over the North.  But which house?  Roose is good at picking the winning side.  Bolton. 
  •  Prince Viserys becomes the most sought-after bachelor in the world.  Who will marry him?  He will have his pick. 
  • Princess Rhaenys and Prince Aegon are disinherited but they can still make valuable marriage alliances.  Sure.  Rhaenys to Dickon Tarly. 
  • Where will Rhaegar keep his bastard?  Somewhere out of the public eye.  In Dorne.
  • Will this have any effect on the King-Beyond-the-Wall and his plans?  Sure.  His job will be harder.  If so, what effect?  The nation will be united under Aerys. 
  • Balon will silently fume but not rebel.  Agree
  • King Aerys II continues to have the best Kingsguard in recent history.  Agree
  • Will Jon Arryn be rewarded for his loyalty?  Yes.  He'll be the next Hand of the King.
  • Rhaegar will be resentful but he will accept the demotion and so will his heirs. 

13 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

the point is that Aerys is obviously able to produce a living female child with his wife. Even if there is no rebellion, he and Rhaella will still have sex at some point. You could say this child is a totally different Dany, but rebellion is not a prerequisite for the birth of Dany. 

By the way, Aerys raped Rhaella after he burned that hand of king. if there is no rebellion, Aerys will still likely burn somebody at some point. 

If the child is totally different from Dany how Dany's birth would still happen?

19 hours ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

Instead of Roberts Rebellion, you would've had a Targayen civil war.  

This.

It would have been another Dance of the Dragons. The Targaryen support would have fractured and many of the houses would have thrown behind Rhaegar as the sane and legitimate rightful ruler. Further, Had Jon Arryn (it would have to be a different type of person) actually carried out those orders, I suspect that Houses Baratheon and Stark would have united and moved on the Vale.  

Archived